What happened to my "Insert Audio FX" Menu?

Spectrum424

Just to let you know, I checked about an hour and a half ago on both instrument tracks and audio tracks but I had the sideways V which opened the submenu.  I didn't reply because I couldn't figure out how to not have the submenu, although I tried a few things very briefly.  I did not check to see if the plug-in manager would cause an issue like that.

UPDATE: I just tried switching layouts, creating an empty one, but I still get the submenu.  Earlier I tried switching Workspaces, but still couldn't get your issue.

Edited by User 905133

2 minutes ago, User 905133 said:

Just to let you know, I checked about an hour and a half ago on both instrument tracks and audio tracks but I had the sideways V which opened the submenu.  I didn't reply because I couldn't figure out how to not have the submenu, although I tried a few things very briefly.  I did not check to see if the plug-in manager would cause an issue like that.

Thanks,

Yeah it's really weird and I don't know when it changed

2 hours ago, Spectrum424 said:

Hi ppl,

I no longer get the sub-menu option when I want to insert FX. See attached pic.

How do get it back?

/CJ

Submenu.PNG

To have "Insert Audio FX" to look like "Insert Soft Synth"  either

• delete some of the FX plug-ins
  • add some synth plug-ins

The menu handler changes when the plug-in count crosses a certain threshold. I don't recall the count that triggers the menu change.

Regardless, the audio FX plug-ins are still listed in the menu albeit in a slightly different display.

Click the menu option to see the submenu.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, scook said:

To have "Insert Audio FX" to look like "Insert Soft Synth"  either

• delete some of the audio FX
  • add some synth FX

The menu handler changes when the plug-in count crosses a certain threshold. I don't recall the count that triggers the menu change.

Regardless, the audio FX plug-ins are still listed in the menu albeit in a slightly different layout.

Thanks all for chipping in!

I experimented with creating a new layout with just a few plugins and the flyout re-appeared so the fx count is def. a factor here.

Looks like my evening is saved since I have to rebuild my whole layout :)

Take care!

/CJ

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Spectrum424 said:

Thanks all for chipping in!

I experimented with creating a new layout with just a few plugins and the flyout re-appeared so the fx count is def. a factor here.

Looks like my evening is saved since I have to rebuild my whole layout :)

Take care!

/CJ

This was changed a while back to get around a long standing (> 11 years old) Windows bug that has gotten worse since Windows 10 - if you go beyond around 1000 menu items, it starts removing items.  This wasn't an issue in the past, because not only was the menu limit much larger (around 4000), most people didn't have that many plugins.

So the workaround is to popup a brand new menu using a different UI framework.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 4/28/2023 at 10:42 AM, msmcleod said:

This was changed a while back to get around a long standing (> 11 years old) Windows bug that has gotten worse since Windows 10 - if you go beyond around 1000 menu items, it starts removing items.  This wasn't an issue in the past, because not only was the menu limit much larger (around 4000), most people didn't have that many plugins.

So the workaround is to popup a brand new menu using a different UI framework.

Thanks @msmcleod. So that's it. I have more than 1,000 plugins and noticed the change but didn't think twice about it. When I didn't see the fly out, I guess I clicked the "Insert Audio FX" line in the menu which opened a new plugin selection window. and went on from there.

Just a tip. You obviously don't regularly use 1,000 plug ins. Like while testing compressors I had over 80 l installed and loaded. I chose the dozen I felt were the best and to get the rest off my list all I needed to do was go into the plug in Manager and  "Exclude"  the ones I will probably never use. This way they are out of harms way, Cakewalk doesn't scan them ( I think? ) and if I change my mind they are 2 clicks away from being active again. 

This most certainly would be a way to solve the OP's issue without actually removing plug ins from the folders. Most take up very little room. 

A good example of this way Melda had installed ( my fault) about 50 demo versions along with the free bundle and the demos expired as I slowly found out. This was becoming very annoying so I excluded all the demos. Some of them I will probably purchase someday so the activation will be very simple if I do.  

Edited by John Vere
  • Thanks 2

45 minutes ago, John Vere said:

Just a tip. You obviously don't regularly use 1,000 plug ins. Like while testing compressors I had over 80 l installed and loaded. I chose the dozen I felt were the best and to get the rest off my list all I needed to do was go into the plug in Manager and  "Exclude"  the ones I will probably never use. This way they are out of harms way, Cakewalk doesn't scan them ( I think? ) and if I change my mind they are 2 clicks away from being active again. 

This most certainly would be a way to solve the OP's issue without actually removing plug ins from the folders. Most take up very little room. 

A good example of this way Melda had installed ( my fault) about 50 demo versions along with the free bundle and the demos expired as I slowly found out. This was becoming very annoying so I excluded all the demos. Some of them I will probably purchase someday so the activation will be very simple if I do.  

Thanks @John Vere! I'm going to do that, starting slowly. I'm also working on an old laptop installing Cakewalk and plugins for someone else. That's one of the reasons I ended up with so many plugins. For them, I'm trying to get to around 100 FX plugins and excluding the ones I don't think they'll need will be a good way to avoid uninstalling and reinstalling as I waffle.

• Like 1