Lies and Consequences

steve@baselines.com

From the Horse Latitudes album, pretty much rebuilt with some new parts and new tools.

https://baselines.com/?p=6779

image.png.cc859a56fbb70fd2a0363662f989b8da.png

Cultures come and cultures go
The world still turns
It's a miracle that we're still here

When anybody anytime anywhere
Sets the world on fire
It winds up on a viral video
Insanity strikes and it hits us so quick
We give voice to the crazy, the fringe lunatic
And when the truth comes out and the suppression begins
We've got to crank up the engine and roll down that rocky hill again.

Desert fox and poison pills
The monkey swings
And his par-amour earns her wings
The chambermaid makes up the bed and plays for time
She prays that he will sleep in town tonight
There's a book on the nightstand that the powers neglect
With a gold plated emblem that the night lamps reflect
And when the truth comes out and the suppression begins
We've got to crank up the engine and roll down that rocky hill again.

• Like 1

Great mix, production, tones, balances. Just my 2 cents....for me the song really kicked in around 2:40 and then pretty much held my interest. I'd trim about a minute between the intro and 2:40 to get to that point in the composition where some variation really kicks in. The melody lines are really nice but, again, imho needs a bit of trim to get to the best parts. Cheers!!🎶🎶🎶🎶

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Larry T. said:

Great mix, production, tones, balances. Just my 2 cents....for me the song really kicked in around 2:40 and then pretty much held my interest. I'd trim about a minute between the intro and 2:40 to get to that point in the composition where some variation really kicks in. The melody lines are really nice but, again, imho needs a bit of trim to get to the best parts. Cheers!!🎶🎶🎶🎶

Thanks Larry - you are right.  I rarely let a song go over 3:30.  I think I will try to trim this down, at least take out the very beginning before the vocals come in.  

Steve

Very well done. Clever instrumentation that matches the mood and lyrics. I like the length and changes. Quite a lot going on in there to experience. A few times I thought the lyrics went slightly low. Thanks for posting them. The mix sounds great over here.

On 4/25/2023 at 5:50 PM, KSband said:

Very cool song, so many details going on. I felt like the end could be trimmed a bit, maybe just fade, but I have a short attention span.

Hi - thanks for the comment - I agree - Iusually like to make each song shorter than this - I tried a couple of trimmings but they didn't work out too well yet - I will keep at it though!

21 hours ago, treesha said:

Very well done. Clever instrumentation that matches the mood and lyrics. I like the length and changes. Quite a lot going on in there to experience. A few times I thought the lyrics went slightly low. Thanks for posting them. The mix sounds great over here.

Thanks Treesha I think there is one part there where I dropped a harmony and the main vocal should be brought up.  Thanks for your input - I'll be releasing another version based on what people here think.

Steve

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Bajan Blue said:

Hi Steve

I like this - mix is really good and I like the synths you have used

excellent lyrics

I understand some of the comments re length  but that's your choice

Cool

Nigel

Hi Nigel - thank you for commenting about the lyrics - I think maybe a lot of people don't get them all, but I am proud of them.

Steve

1 hour ago, Supa Reels said:

As a lyrics kind of guy ... love the lyrics, I think the arrangement has a little too much compression in that it has that everything 'in your face' kind of thing .. probably what you were going for, so all good.

ATB

Steve P 

I probably did what I always do with new toys - overused them!  It's a learning curve - thank you for your ideas!

Steve

On 4/24/2023 at 9:55 AM, steve@baselines.com said:

Thanks Larry - you are right.  I rarely let a song go over 3:30.  I think I will try to trim this down, at least take out the very beginning before the vocals come in.  

Steve

Hi again - I did trim out some of the parts of the song and got it under 4 minutes.  IF you'd like to listen to that I included it in the original post:

https://baselines.com/?p=6779

Steve