Get Out From My Door-LINK REPAIRED

Johnbee58

Enjoyed the frankness and freedom of the lyrics! Really nice horns. I like the changes in intensity at the different parts. Sounds a little Beatle-ish at first to me. 3:45 something maybe horns sounded a bit distorted? Or a horn sound/technique I am not familiar with? Good song, well constructed and the mix sounds very good over here. I did enjoy it.

• Thanks 1

There's some venom behind this song, I can tell.

I hope you are well mate 

Very cool song and arrangement however, there are a lot of offbeat rhythms working against each other and no constant. Maybe simplify the piano to straight 1/8ths? Only my opinion - no offence meant as I really like the song. 

Love that muted trumpet ....

• Thanks 1

Enjoyed the lyrics - horns sound good as well

Interesting arrangement - I can hear what Treesha called distortion on the horns starting at 2.25 - but I don't think it's distortion, it's the low sax I think - perhaps it could be smoothed a bit

Otherwise all good

Nigel

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, daryl1968 said:

There's some venom behind this song, I can tell.

I hope you are well mate 

Very cool song and arrangement however, there are a lot of offbeat rhythms working against each other and no constant. Maybe simplify the piano to straight 1/8ths? Only my opinion - no offence meant as I really like the song. 

Love that muted trumpet ....

Hello, @daryl1968Daryl.  Thanks so much for listening and your useful comments.  I am well, thank you.😀

No offense taken.  Thank you for your observation. 😉

😀John B

10 hours ago, Bajan Blue said:

Enjoyed the lyrics - horns sound good as well

Interesting arrangement - I can hear what Treesha called distortion on the horns starting at 2.25 - but I don't think it's distortion, it's the low sax I think - perhaps it could be smoothed a bit

Otherwise all good

Nigel

@Bajan BlueThanks, Nigel!

I was a bit confused on @treesha's comment because of the time mark she mentioned.  She said her observation was @3:45, which kind of puzzled me because that's where the song ends, but you clarified it as being @ 2:25.  What you're hearing there are 2 low horns, ( baritone sax and a bass trombone) doing a "Tower Of Power style" lick where the low bari sax puts down some funk and the higher horns do a response.   The 5 horn line up there is bass trombone, bari sax, tenor sax and 2 trumpets.   I can see that it could be mistaken as distortion as the samples are a bit bright, but it's not.

😀JB

Edited by Johnbee58
  • Like 1

Really good instrumentation going on here John. Love the horns. I always like your lyrics, no exception here.
The voc has some high notes and then some pretty low notes. Maybe keep the pitches within the same range. Just a suggestion.
-Bjorn

• Thanks 1

On 4/22/2023 at 1:03 PM, Johnbee58 said:

@Bajan BlueThanks, Nigel!

I was a bit confused on @treesha's comment because of the time mark she mentioned.  She said her observation was @3:45, which kind of puzzled me because that's where the song ends, but you clarified it as being @ 2:25.  What you're hearing there are 2 low horns, ( baritone sax and a bass trombone) doing a "Tower Of Power style" lick where the low bari sax puts down some funk and the higher horns do a response.   The 5 horn line up there is bass trombone, bari sax, tenor sax and 2 trumpets.   I can see that it could be mistaken as distortion as the samples are a bit bright, but it's not.

😀JB

Oops yes, I was looking at the wrong number when seeing the spot I mentioned, yes it is more like 2:25 sorry for the confusion. I figured it was a horn thing there maybe some technique I am not familiar with, which is many.

• Thanks 1

On 4/23/2023 at 12:29 AM, bjornpdx said:

Really good instrumentation going on here John. Love the horns. I always like your lyrics, no exception here.
The voc has some high notes and then some pretty low notes. Maybe keep the pitches within the same range. Just a suggestion.
-Bjorn

@bjornpdxThanks Bjorn!

Edited by Johnbee58

19 hours ago, treesha said:

Oops yes, I was looking at the wrong number when seeing the spot I mentioned, yes it is more like 2:25 sorry for the confusion. I figured it was a horn thing there maybe some technique I am not familiar with, which is many.

@treeshaNo worries.  Thanks again.

😀John B

the music:

most impressive, that's a great arrangement/composing, the playing and interweaving of all the instruments was excellent, the bass playing (I'd turn it up a dB), piano playing and horns are excellent, the drums don't create a groove but do move the song in the correct directions as required (slow, medium, quick tempos)

the vocals: 

took awhile for me to understand your vocal style because I've not heard anything like it before (like some of Joni Mitchell's more daring vox), and, truthfully, I really don't listen to music with vocals much at all anymore (excepting Thievery Corporations songs with Lou Lou and some of their other extraordinary singers) so, I think you are an acquired taste vocally but your music is most impressive; compositionally excellent, extremely well played, recorded, mixed and mastered, looking forward to a lot more🎶🎶🎶🎶

Edited by Larry T.
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Larry T. said:

the music:

most impressive, that's a great arrangement/composing, the playing and interweaving of all the instruments was excellent, the bass playing (I'd turn it up a dB), piano playing and horns are excellent, the drums don't create a groove but do move the song in the correct directions as required (slow, medium, quick tempos)

the vocals: 

took awhile for me to understand your vocal style because I've not heard anything like it before (like some of Joni Mitchell's more daring vox), and, truthfully, I really don't listen to music with vocals much at all anymore (excepting Thievery Corporations songs with Lou Lou and some of their other extraordinary singers) so, I think you are an acquired taste vocally but your music is most impressive; compositionally excellent, extremely well played, recorded, mixed and mastered, looking forward to a lot more🎶🎶🎶🎶

Thanks so much, Larry.  It is pleasing to know that as a guy who doesn't listen to many vocal projects you have chosen to check me out.

😀John B

• Like 1

On 4/22/2023 at 1:59 AM, daryl1968 said:

some venom behind this song

Yeah, I heard that too.

On 4/25/2023 at 9:37 PM, Larry T. said:

drums don't create a groove but do move the song

I see what you mean, yeah.

On 4/23/2023 at 9:31 AM, FreeEarCandy said:

horns sound really nice!

I think that is the consensus here.

t