why does my vocal track look like this?

To be clear a mono track is outputting in stereo to the stereo bus or even if direct to the audio output.  It wouldn’t have a pan controller if it was outputting mono. This is the way mixing boards have been since stereo was introduced to recording. 
So any effects added to the pro channel or the effects bin are outputting in stereo. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks jo

Thanks John, I'm learning so much from this forum. I've always used the vx64 vocal strip as an insert. If I make my vocal track a mono input from here on, it should still work properly if the output is stereo. Or am I better off using the vx64 on a bus? By the way I can't find a link for many of your very helpful tutorials. Or they have been removed. I understand if you want to sell them or something because you put a lot of work into them. Is there one link still to access some of them? Thanks again

• Thanks 1

It's because you put the mic in one input of your interface but didn't change the track to record only that input. So it thinks you have a stereo input but there is nothing on one channel. You can bounce it to mono if you want.

Edited by Terry Kelley
  • Like 1

You can split that into two tracks and I think Cakewalk will ignore the empty track when creating new tracks.

Select your track, then open dropdown, Tracks => Bounce to tracks => Channel format "split mono"

Uncheck track effects, automation, bus effects... on or off as needed (dithering none) 

Don't select "entire mix" select only the track you want to split

Observe where the destination tracks will be set to.

There are are presets that may be helpful.

Split Tracks Mono.png

Edited by RexRed
  • Like 1