MP3 Encoder doesn't memorize last setup

Rogério

Seems not, one of my pet peeves. I think it's because the Mp3 encoder is actually not part of the export feature. It just opens automatically when prompted by the export.  So in my thinking it's the MP3 encoder that is not retaining settings, not the export feature. It's odd because all my Wave editors seems to retain my preferences. 

I have actually stop exporting as MP3 once I found out that Sound Cloud doesn't care anymore. I can upload 48/32 wave files and it doesn't limit me. It goes by the time, not the file size. Only time I make MP3 is to put on a stick to play in the car. But I use Gold Wave for that as it does batch conversion and it remembers my settings!  I don't get the meta data but that doesn't matter.  

Are you aware that you can enter some of the meta data in the Notes tab found in the Browser view? 

Edited by John Vere

17 minutes ago, John Vere said:

Seems not, one of my pet peeves. I think it's because the Mp3 encoder is actually not part of the export feature. It just opens automatically when prompted by the export.  So in my thinking it's the MP3 encoder that is not retaining settings, not the export feature. It's odd because all my Wave editors seems to retain my preferences. 

Too bad, this should be improved.

I have actually stop exporting as MP3 once I found out that Sound Cloud doesn't care anymore. I can upload 48/32 wave files and it doesn't limit me. It goes by the time, not the file size.

Actually I didn't know that, because I'm using mp3 files to send a preview to my client via WhatsApp... I'll look into it.

Are you aware that you can enter some of the meta data in the Notes tab found in the Browser view? 

What are you talking about?

You can post full size songs on Sound cloud and make them private. Only people with the link can listen. It’s pretty straight forward and you can even drag multiple files into the upload widget. I think most of the free music upload sites work about the same. I also use Sound click and Reverbnation.  

The notes is found in the browser and example you can select a picture and it will now show on the start screen and there’s a place for song titles artist and album.  Those will populate the boxes in the lower part of that mp3 dialogue you posted above.  Saves repetition 

1784604103_Screenshot(511).thumb.png.3a231b4c6638bb039c7e816b4a6063ff.png349726421_Screenshot(512).png.d28be7a6b75ed78f0d7e3a1f26300c14.png

1101584123_Screenshot(513).png.94cec934e5e23e0bd1d2202102e3f607.png

Edited by John Vere
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Great Idea 1

IIRC even before I used Workspaces, the Notes data persisted from project to project.  I don't recall ever exploring where that came from.  @John Vere I see that you have a custom Workspace ("Johns"). Do you know if Workspaces can be used to have different sets of pre-filled Notes data?  If you don't know, I could give it a try.

@User 905133the notes are saved with templates not workspaces. They are project specific. Workspaces only save ?? I guess your workspace but not any project info. 

So I have my name and my studio name stored in the notes as part of my song writing template. 
I always put a picture in there as it makes finding songs on the start screen easy. 
For cover tunes I often have the pictures of the band or the 45 label. 
I used to leave myself notes about the recording set up but I always forgot about them. Just like the notes in tracks  you forget you did it.  

I even used to put the lyrics in there but that was another waist of time too. 

820167733_Screenshot(1096).thumb.png.9b784a0110ed64ae597933eaff901712.png

20975919_Screenshot(1097).thumb.png.93276cb50c1da2b8dd5af9892dec2757.png

Edited by John Vere
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This looks like the original ID3 v1 set up which was fairly basic, and didn't have that field.

That said, I'm looking at v2 now and while it has a lot more info, I'm not seeing ISRC on there, so that must be included in other metadata for MP3s somewhere.

• Thanks 1

In my world ISRC codes are handled by your distributor. But you can choose to become your own record label as well some say even though it is not nessassary to embed your own codes it still does no harm. Each country has their own management of ISRC codes in Canada its these guys. https://www.soproq.org/en/     

I'm not sure that it's the job of the Lame encoder.  It would be Cakewalk that had the option, but Cakewalk is not a real Mastering software.  Example Wavelab has the option to import ISRC codes.      " To import ISRC codes, select Functions > Import ISRC Codes from Text File in the CD window, select the text file that you want to import, and click Open."   

If you don't own a proper wave editor then you can use many free programs to edit tags for all music formats. https://www.mp3tag.de/en/dodownload64.html  

If you are acting as your own record label there's a lot to understand. And ISRC is very important if you want to be paid. 

MP3 format is most certainly becoming obsolete as bandwidth is no longer an issue. I can certainly see why they changed the 128 up to 256 as a default. 128 is a terrible bit rate.  256 is about where most people can't tell much difference. 

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, John Vere said:

In my world ISRC codes are handled by your distributor. But you can choose to become your own record label as well some say even though it is not nessassary to embed your own codes it still does no harm. Each country has their own management of ISRC codes in Canada its these guys. https://www.soproq.org/en/     

I'm not sure that it's the job of the Lame encoder.  It would be Cakewalk that had the option, but Cakewalk is not a real Mastering software.  Example Wavelab has the option to import ISRC codes.      " To import ISRC codes, select Functions > Import ISRC Codes from Text File in the CD window, select the text file that you want to import, and click Open."   

If you don't own a proper wave editor then you can use many free programs to edit tags for all music formats. https://www.mp3tag.de/en/dodownload64.html  

If you are acting as your own record label there's a lot to understand. And ISRC is very important if you want to be paid. 

MP3 format is most certainly becoming obsolete as bandwidth is no longer an issue. I can certainly see why they changed the 128 up to 256 as a default. 128 is a terrible bit rate.  256 is about where most people can't tell much difference. 

So why not default to the best! I use 320!

BTW... CD Architect has easy ISRC codes, but only for CDs...