Dolby Atmos in CbB

Not sure what the licensing rights are for companies, but it's $400 USD a year for the Media Encoder if you get it yourself, which you'd be paying for in the purchase/subscription price for paid DAWs. CbB is free and as we know, a lot of the paid addons that came with SONAR Platinum were taken out for that reason.

I don't have the facility here in my studio to do surround currently, but I'd be happy to see Atmos all the same. But realistically, I'm not sure something like this would work with the free model Bandlab are using for CbB.

We are more likely to see plugin functionality handling of multi-channel spatial audio from Cakewalk tracking, than to have it integrated. And as @Lord Tim mentions, the licensing for all the constantly changing formats out there makes that pretty much a necessity.  -I have seen this with the media encoding world in general. You can usually find several 3rd party encoders for various & sundry formatting, and they will be designed to either integrate with your mixing software (as in a plugin), or they will specify a multichannel master file be created for import & processing offline.  -I'd be happier with Cakewalk sticking to the basics on that front myself anyway.

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, dappa1 said:

Looks like Dolby Atmos is the future not sure why some DAW brands are not up to speed with it yet?

Did you not read the answers?  It costs money. Cakewalk is free so cannot include components that are licensed by any 3rd party. This is why we no longer have a lot of the 3rd party plug ins included like we had when Sonar was $500.  
At best you could include a demo version like Melodyne is. 

Edited by John Vere

Even aside from the licensing cost for the encoder (which is baked into the very expensive price of commercial software that supports it so they can absorb that cost), how many studios really have a proper Atmos monitoring environment? Most of us are stereo or 5.1, but it's a substantial outlay to go Atmos.

At the moment, outside of Apple hinting they won't add tracks to their curated playlist if they don't have Atmos mixes, there's not a lot of other reasons to pay all of that money for a proper mixing environment and software with an encoder tacked onto the price, honestly.

Like I said, I'd be happy to see it included, but I'm not sure we should be holding our breath in the meantime.

-Here is some info on a current VST3-based solution for Dolby Atmos, that could likely be used from within Cakewalk:

(via KVR) Fiedler Audio announces Dolby Atmos Composer and Dolby Atmos Composer Essential

The Dolby Atmos Composer's Beam Plug-In allows creators to send their audio signals from anywhere in the session into the Composer, the home of the Dolby Atmos Renderer. Signals there can be panned to the Dolby Atmos bed and individually treated as objects in 3D space on one of the 128 independent channels available, including full 3D panning automation of course.

-Of course, it's not free, but none of the nascent "hot" commercial formats for AV ever is. -And if Apple is involved, or even interested,  -good luck!

Edited by JnTuneTech
emphasis
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

I couldn't be happier with the return of Sonar and a DAW that will be paid, thus being able to add features like Dolby Atmos to our projects. I've been using Surround features for many years. I would really like the new Sonar to come compatible with Atmos. Which has already been consolidated. Today audio in movies, series, music and video game consoles (xbox series) are using it in droves. Looking forward to the launch of Sonar and Next.