Neumann MT 48: Hands-on With the Interface of the Future

cclarry

1) There is NO mention anywhere of the driver, ASIO or otherwise.

2) There is NO mention of its latency.

3) They say USB-C. That's the connector. The interface is USB-2. Not sure if it, with the as-yet to be announced driver, can handle the max I/O (via ADAT and S/PDIF) at the max sample rate (192 KHz).

4) The RME Babyface Pro is half the price, has super low latency and very high specs.

I think I'll use the money to buy another new bass instead.

• Like 5
  • Great Idea 1

@John Maar it's basically a badged up Merging Technologies Anubis (Sennheiser own Neumann AND Merging) 

There are some reviews on the Sound On Sound website of the Anubis units which give an indication of the latency - obviously we don't know if this will be an updated driver.

USB 2 or 3 - well it's almost certainly not relevant as we are not at the channel count / bitrate needed for USB3

https://www.rme-audio.de/rme-usb-technology.html

Edited by simon
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Finnbogi Ragnar Ragnarsson said:

I guess that they are aiming for a brand religion that has more aura than specs that really matter or value. Just like the microphone business. How useful an aes67 on a tiny 4 channel interface with tiny touchscreen, remains to be seen.

What, yoz've never heard of the Neumann sound ? 😉

• Haha 1

At nearly $2k, who is this targeting?

Someone with a more elaborate setup is going to need more inputs (keyboards, guitar processors, etc)

Someone looking for a two-channel audio interface most likely isn't wanting to spend nearly $2k.

I'm always a bit leery when a company new to audio interfaces has a first release.

Yes, Neuman is a name/brand with stellar reputation... for microphones.

What Neuman doesn't have is a 10-20 year reputation for creating rock-solid low-latency drivers (equal to the best available).

• Like 2

That was brutally underwhelming. For the third of the price, perhaps it could be something to consider if that network thing is useful to you. But meh, I have shiny boxes that do more, just as good and for a price that actually can be justified.

Neuman or no, this is ridiculous.

• Like 1