Waves NX Virtual Studio Collection

Grem

Well it's  just like the other products from IK, UAD, and others (that I can't think of right now) were you can mix on your headphones. 

The idea is that you can use a profile of your headphones and then chose which "mix room" you want to mix in.

With the results depending on the quality of your headphones and your mixing skills. 

IK has ARC and Lurssen Mastering, but neither have many headphone profiles at all.

Another company makes a product that has more headphone profiles and is pretty popular. 

Gimmick? Depends on what your looking for. Authentic room sound? Or just some good help.

I have gotten good results with ARC, UAD Oceanway, and Waves NX Virtual Room.

Like Leandro said, the Waves NX suite offers something the others don't,  that "head tracker" that helps make the mix experience more immersive.

Edited by Grem
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Grem said:

You get all the NX studios with it.

Just FYI ... all except Abbey Road Studio 3.  I remember when this collection came out that it was a notable omission.

Edited by ALC

I have it the collection and the head tracker.  If for nothing else it’s fun.  I have tried in mixing a few recent songs and I think it helps. I can’t say I’ve done a heavy analysis.  But more than that it’s amusing. It puts a smile on my face when I’m trying it.

Obviously, just by the nature of it, you get more perspectives on different speaker sounds and how the mix translates with those selections.

Edited by lawajava
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, lawajava said:

puts a smile on my face when I’m trying it.

Obviously, just by the nature of it, you get more perspectives on different speaker sounds and how the mix translates with those selections.

Yep.

It does help me to get my mixes to sound better on a variety of stuff.

Used one of those programs to get a few songs ready for cell phones and it worked pretty darn good. Much better than I expected.

Edited by Grem
  • Like 1

For me it greatly reduces "headphone fatigue", and I can do longer mixing sessions before having to take a break.

Clanx is my favorite

What has happened a couple of times is that I have forgotten to turn it off before doing the final render, and it's definitely not good having the downmix panned according to however I was moving my head while the render was in progress (note, it's not exactly turn off, I have a bus with meters and clanx and I switch it over to a bus with dithering instead but, for what I'm describing it's equivalent)

The other detail to be careful about is that even when your levels are perfectly OK, if you have a master meter that is post-effect it  may occasionally saturate because the volume slightly depends on whether you are leaning forward or back while listening,