e-Instrument Black Friday Sale

cclarry

19 hours ago, PavlovsCat said:

If only I had Photoshop skills....If anyone does, we need an image to go along with Electric Ladyland. We can surprise Larry with it when he returns from his trip. He can use it on SoundCloud. 

Okay, any Hendrix fan either imagined the album title I'm parodying and laughed or pressed hide for future posts from me. ;)

The UK cover had dozens of nude women on it. I had it on vinyl at one point.
My sister used to live on the same street as Electric Lady Studios and I walked past it without noticing.

12 minutes ago, Technostica said:

The UK cover had dozens of nude women on it. I had it on vinyl at one point.
My sister used to live on the same street as Electric Lady Studios and I walked past it without noticing.

No comment whatsoever. Even this really isn't a comment. Nope. Never happened. Besides, the original Larryland idea came from Fleer. So it was really Fleer's idea. Yeah, that's my story and I'm sticking to it. 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, PavlovsCat said:

These are the videos I've found most useful for assessing Session Keys W (Wurli) library. I'd love to get thoughts from my fellow Wurli lovers. 

I watched the videos and enjoyed them more than I thought I would! 

Without actually being able to demo it, it's very hard to be sure whether it's going to offer anything unique or better than what I already have. I'm kinda OK with that at this point; I've accepted that having a collection of really great sounding sampled instruments requires basically buying all the highly regarded stuff and seeing what I like best, because most of the time you can't demo it before buying it. That said, after listening carefully to the 10 songs clip, it can clearly pull off some great tones. I wish it showed the settings used for each song though!

I'd like to know how many velocity layers it has. I haven't been able to find that out anywhere yet.  Based on the sample size (9gb before compression, 4.5gb after compression) it must be pretty good. The Scarbee A200 is only 850 meg by comparison. Broken Wurli is 4gb and that's split between three sets of samples, broken, good and line out. Whereas the e instruments is offering 2 sets, live and studio so I'm guessing it has more layers. 

I noticed the SonicState video didn't demonstrate much crunch, but it has a crunch knob, and the 10 song demos had plenty of crunch to them. 

I came across the link to the user manual. It's surprisingly comprehensive and appears to be well written. 

https://www.e-instruments.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/10/Session-Keys-Electric-W-Manual-v1.0.pdf

If the Wurli is the only one you're after, at $33, it sounds like a no brainer. I think I'm going to bite on it just because at this price you can't really go wrong. 

• Like 1

Btw a standout  for me from that SonicState video was to discover that the Komplete Kontrol S series has a built in display underneath the knobs to provide dynamic labels so you know exactly what each knob is mapped to! How cool is that?!?!

If I ever decide to go (back) to a 88 key keyboard, the S88 will be a tempting option now that I know that! But maybe the S25 would fit better in my budget hehe. 

47 minutes ago, Craig N said:

I watched the videos and enjoyed them more than I thought I would! 

Without actually being able to demo it, it's very hard to be sure whether it's going to offer anything unique or better than what I already have. I'm kinda OK with that at this point; I've accepted that having a collection of really great sounding sampled instruments requires basically buying all the highly regarded stuff and seeing what I like best, because most of the time you can't demo it before buying it. That said, after listening carefully to the 10 songs clip, it can clearly pull off some great tones. I wish it showed the settings used for each song though!

I'd like to know how many velocity layers it has. I haven't been able to find that out anywhere yet.  Based on the sample size (9gb before compression, 4.5gb after compression) it must be pretty good. The Scarbee A200 is only 850 meg by comparison. Broken Wurli is 4gb and that's split between three sets of samples, broken, good and line out. Whereas the e instruments is offering 2 sets, live and studio so I'm guessing it has more layers. 

I noticed the SonicState video didn't demonstrate much crunch, but it has a crunch knob, and the 10 song demos had plenty of crunch to them. 

I came across the link to the user manual. It's surprisingly comprehensive and appears to be well written. 

https://www.e-instruments.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/10/Session-Keys-Electric-W-Manual-v1.0.pdf

If the Wurli is the only one you're after, at $33, it sounds like a no brainer. I think I'm going to bite on it just because at this price you can't really go wrong. 

It's so nice to know that I'm not the only one in love with Wurlis.

It's an overshare and I'll delete it (so I am asking people to please not quote this post-- also because it's way too much personal info), but I grew up the son of a music teacher who worked for the Wurlitzer company and we owned a Wurli when I was a kid and I was in love with it. My three siblings and I had a family band that played around Chicago that included a Wurli when we were kids. While piano was my first instrument, I was the youngest of 4 kids and my two sisters were both incredibly more experienced and talented keyboardists and decided I should play drums. So I didn't play the Wurli  in our band, but I played it solo all the time  for fun and writing original songs as a kid.  Unfortunately, my three siblings all passed on young, and I suppose this instrument has these very deep psychological connections for me that go beyond logic. I have accumulated a bunch of Wurli libraries -- I have at least 8 that I can think of, most of them in KONTAKT format, and the SoundPaint one I later regretted buying (even though it was cheap, here I am only several weeks later ready to buy another Wurli library).  Researching the Wurli trademarks for AcousticSamples after some con artist was trying to extort him falsely claiming they owned the Wurli trademark was actually pretty fascinating to me, and, in some ways, a trip down memory lane. 

Edited by PavlovsCat
  • Like 2

I came across this entertaining review of the Session Keys Electrics series. It mentions a few samples with disparity in the R Rhodes library but apart from that it all sounded really good. 

https://www.reviewrevival.ca/reviews/e-instruments-session-keys-electric-pianos-review

https://www.reviewrevival.ca/reviewers-blog-ii/e-instruments-session-keys-electric-pianos-review-part-2

The animator / smart chord functionality cause some to turn their nose up, but I wondered if it might come in handy to extend your play time @PavlovsCat e.g. starting a session / warming up etc. 

Edited by Craig N
Wrong Rhodes
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, Craig N said:

I came across this entertaining review of the Session Keys Electrics series. It mentions a few samples with disparity in the R Rhodes library but apart from that it all sounded really good. 

https://www.reviewrevival.ca/reviews/e-instruments-session-keys-electric-pianos-review

https://www.reviewrevival.ca/reviewers-blog-ii/e-instruments-session-keys-electric-pianos-review-part-2

The animator / smart chord functionality cause some to turn their nose up, but I wondered if it might come in handy to extend your play time @PavlovsCat e.g. starting a session / warming up etc. 

Wait, I've shared so much, you're thinking of my tendonitis impacting how long I can play? That's super thoughtful.  But even with my pain and terrible playing that would have made my (late) music teacher mother cringe, I still have this desire to want to play everything myself unless I can collaborate with another musician. Since I've started playing again last year, the only musician I've collaborated with is Greg Schlaepfer,  Orange Tree Samples CEO,  a fantastic pianist and bassist who was a music major in college.  Greg redid my guitar parts after my MIDI controller started having problems and then added some additional parts for a demo I recently did for their Evolution Vintage Violin Bass, which features a Wurli -- which I think was the Scarbee  library. It's a medley of me improving over the chord progression from McCartney's "Dear Boy" for the first 16 bars with my own improvised melody then goes into a song I wrote when I was around 13 years old that I always thought had a McCartney vibe -- especially the break where the strings come in. As I saw the medley as my little tribute to one of my greatest musical heroes, I told Greg to call the medley, "Dear Paul," a play on "Dear Boy." Note the Wurli starts the song. 

https://www.orangetreesamples.com/audio/PeterDeLegge-DearPaul.mp3

Edited by PavlovsCat

2 minutes ago, PavlovsCat said:

Wait, I've shared so much, you're thinking of my tendonitis impacting how long I can play? That's super thoughtful.  But even with my pain and terrible playing that would have made my (late) music teacher mother cringe, I still have this desire to want to play everything myself unless I can collaborate with another musician (so far I've only collaborated with Greg Schlaepfer,  Orange Tree Samples,  a fantastic pianist and bassist who was a music major in college; he actually did some guitar parts and redid some guitar parts I played with midi issues on a demo I recently did for their Evolution Vintage Violin Bass, which features a Wurli -- which I think was Scarbee). 

Fair enough! 

I really enjoyed that I am the Walrus cover you posted btw. That was the first time I'd really heard and "got" that song. I've listened to and appreciated my fair share of Beatles music, but obviously not all of it!

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Craig N said:

Fair enough! 

I really enjoyed that I am the Walrus cover you posted btw. That was the first time I'd really heard and "got" that song. I've listened to and appreciated my fair share of Beatles music, but obviously not all of it!

Thanks! Now you should post something of yours or PM it to me if you're more comfortable! I love hearing the music others we hang out with here are doing. Same for others here. We all post and interact about deals, but what drives all of us is a shared love of music. It doesn't matter what genre you play, where you live, your race, ethnicity, gender, your income, sexual orientation, politics, nationality -- we all have that love of creating music in common and I think it's beautiful how that bonds people and hopefully can break down some barriers that are best broken down. Oops, my idealism is showing. But I want to hear your music! It's not like anyone could be intimidated by my terrible playing and horrible voice (I never was a singer, I was a good drummer, a long time ago, not after my injury). I'm not going criticize anyone else's musical efforts. I prefer encouraging others. 

Edited by PavlovsCat

31 minutes ago, Craig N said:

Well most of the time I just stuff around and come up with ideas without finalising any songs haha. But last year I actually made the effort to finish a song for the IK SampleTank contest. So I can share this at least. 🙂

Very nice. I especially like the pizzicato string parts. Imaginative and playful synthwave. Funny. My 13 year old daughter is now a big fan of synthwave due to "Stranger Things" and is listening to songs I listened to as a teenager.  Thanks for sharing that, I enjoyed it.  

Edited by PavlovsCat
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, PavlovsCat said:

Very nice. I especially like the pizzicato string parts. Imaginative and playful synthwave. Funny. My 13 year old daughter is now a big fan of synthwave due to "Stranger Things" and is listening to songs I listened to as a teenager.  

Oh yeah Stranger Things is having a huge influence isn't it. My daughter is 12 and loves all things Stranger Things, although I think it was Cobra Kai that led her to get a Guns N Roses t-shirt! 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Craig N said:

Oh yeah Stranger Things is having a huge influence isn't it. My daughter is 12 and loves all things Stranger Things, although I think it was Cobra Kai that led her to get a Guns N Roses t-shirt! 

Okay, thanks  for coming with me on this new tangent. When my daughter was in elementary she used to take forever to eat her breakfast before school. And I'm kind of an unconventional guy with a big sense of humor. So take this with that understanding. So to get her to move faster I put on Metallica while she ate. She hated it,  so she ate faster, but complained. I was using an FBI technique. I'm not a Metallica fan, BTW, it was just my sense of humor. So years later, last month,  her and I are in the car and "Master of Puppets" comes on and I politely go to change the station,  she says, "Nooooo!!! I love this song!!!! It reminds me of Eddie!" It was surreal. All of those techniques,  I was pretty sure she would hate Metallica for life. Nope! At least it's rock, so I love that she loves a rock song.  Although my kids don't like Zeppelin!

I'm an old rocker. That was my genre. Although I am the son of a classical pianist and also love Chopin, Mozart,  Bach, Beethoven. Rachmaninoff... Back in the day (the mid 90s )Jimmy Chamberlain (Smashing Pumpkins) stated I was one of his favorite rock drummers -- in front of witnesses!!!! And now I have two kids who barely even like rock music except for my daughter liking that song (and mellow stuff like Coldplay,  which I love too). 

Edited by PavlovsCat
  • Like 2

On 11/12/2022 at 4:34 PM, PavlovsCat said:

Okay, thanks  for coming with me on this new tangent. When my daughter was in elementary she used to take forever to eat her breakfast before school. And I'm kind of an unconventional guy with a big sense of humor. So take this with that understanding. So to get her to move faster I put on Metallica while she ate. She hated it,  so she ate faster, but complained. I was using an FBI technique. I'm not a Metallica fan, BTW, it was just my sense of humor. So years later, last month,  her and I are in the car and "Master of Puppets" comes on and I politely go to change the station,  she says, "Nooooo!!! I love this song!!!! It reminds me of Eddie!" It was surreal. All of those techniques,  I was pretty sure she would hate Metallica for life. Nope! At least it's rock, so I love that she loves a rock song.  Although my kids don't like Zeppelin!

I'm an old rocker. That was my genre. Although I am the son of a classical pianist and also love Chopin, Mozart,  Bach, Beethoven. Rachmaninoff... Back in the day (the mid 90s )Jimmy Chamberlain (Smashing Pumpkins) stated I was one of his favorite rock drummers -- in front of witnesses!!!! And now I have two kids who barely even like rock music except for my daughter liking that song (and mellow stuff like Coldplay,  which I love too). 

Hey, I love a good tangent 🙂

I was a Metallica fan from about the age of 14 through 16 so it was pretty cool to see Eddie as a crowd favourite in Stranger Things. Yesterday I acted on a hunch and asked my daughter what she thought of Metallica, and she said they're cool, and then I asked if she'd ever heard any of their music, and she said no. Hahaha. 

Well it sounds like rock music is in their blood. Give them time, 13 is still young. Def Leppard sounded too heavy to my ears at 13, before I discovered AC/DC and then Metallica a year later.  I liked Queen from a fairly young age, but that was all over the radio back then. Nowadays you don't hear much rock music on the radio... or should I say streaming charts? Hopefully it's not going to become a lost art. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Fleer said:

Whole Lotta Rosie!

First time hearing this one too! Gosh now I'm feeling like I've been living under a rock. But quite a catchy song even during the first listen! I just put it on and half way through found my head bopping along to it. Good stuff!

• Like 1

I have to confess I'm somewhat inclined to make a Wurlitzer library comparison video for YouTube featuring great electric piano tunes that were originally played on a Rhodes, to see if anyone notices the discrepancy and is bothered enough to comment on it. Do you think that would get much of a reaction? 🙂

• Like 1

On 11/14/2022 at 2:13 AM, Craig N said:

I have to confess I'm somewhat inclined to make a Wurlitzer library comparison video for YouTube featuring great electric piano tunes that were originally played on a Rhodes, to see if anyone notices the discrepancy and is bothered enough to comment on it. Do you think that would get much of a reaction? 🙂

@Craig N Did you end up buying e-instrument's W (Wurli)? If so, I'd love your thoughts. 

@cclarry I always hesitate to buy if I haven't checked your posts for discount codes. I haven't seen any promo codes for Best Service. Have you?
I'm ready to pull the trigger and buy this tonight or tomorrow even though I don't even have enough hard drive space for it. I'm thinking of deleting some libraries I don't often use, because it would nearly impossible for me to buy this and not want to use it right away.  If anyone is interested, I can run it through my file and compare it to other Wurli libraries I own, commercial and free, so people can see how it compares. I've already created that project file with several Wurli libraries I own using me playing the main keyboard hook from Beck's "Where It's At" -- or at least how I remembered the part (I played it by ear from memory, so I probably didn't nail it; I was too lazy to listen to the original when the idea struck me!). 

Edited by PavlovsCat