Canned music, beat-ectomy?

PhonoBrainer

I was in Canada recently, in a decently nice hotel restaurant, and noticed the background music in the place was a nice 80s r n b mix, Patti Labelle, some Bonnie Raitt, so all good.

Until I became VERY AWARE that the muzak service was cutting out a beat of the songs every 15 seconds or so, the song skipping ahead in time, like a CD player skipping. So annoying! I thought it might be a Canadian muzak thing.

Came home to USA, was just in a grocery store, and same thing. "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald" with sliced beats removed, becoming "The eck of the Edmund Fitzerald"

Is this fresh new auditory hell an attempt to avoid copyright issues?

Whatever it is, it must stop now. The innocent nonmusician public may not notice the beatectomy, but for a musician it's a horrorshow.

Anyone else noticing this?

• Like 1

Not heard any missing beats, but what I did hear on the radio recently was a mystifying bit of censorship. I'm sure we're all familiar with the inserted silence instead of the "naughty" word that whoever sang in whatever song, but this one baffled me..... The song was by The Verve and according to this radio station the first line of the chorus is  " The ......... don't work, they just make you worse".

For those not familiar with the song, the missing word is drugs.

Presumably this means that it's now a bad thing to say to someone that if you're feeling down then taking illegal recreational substances actually doesn't really help?

FFS.

2 hours ago, bitflipper said:

"D***s will get you through times of no money better than money will get you through times of no d***s"

- The Fabulous Furry Freak Brothers

Hmm. Anybody else see something worse than "drugs" in the censored version above?

I know people who think that "D.A.R.E." stands for "Drugs are really expensive!" or "Drugs are reality enhancing!"

dont-do-drugs-drugs-are-bad-mkayy.jpg

It always makes me shake my head that shrooms, the safest drug, are illegal (yeah, I know about Oregon's micro-dosing law for clinical use) while alcohol and tobacco, which are both much farther up the scale, are legal...

20190629_woc294.png