Prime Day Deal - SAMSUNG 980 PRO SSD 2TB $194.99

TheSteven

1 hour ago, abacab said:

Any opinions on the Crucial M.2 NVMe SSD drives, such as this one? It's $42 as a Prime Day deal.

https://www.amazon.com/Crucial-500GB-NAND-NVMe-2400MB/dp/B086BGWNY8/ref=sr_1_4

I have always used Samsung SSD without issues, so am reluctant to switch brands just for a deal.

I've always considered 500GB drives** of any kind a bad investment, more so for SSDs.
Spend the extra couple of bucks and get at least a 1TB, you'll be glad you did.

**with the exception of thumb drives

Edited by TheSteven

12 hours ago, TheSteven said:

I've always considered 500GB drives** of any kind a bad investment, more so for SSDs.
Spend the extra couple of bucks and get at least a 1TB, you'll be glad you did.

**with the exception of thumb drives

I just don't need anything larger than 500GB for my boot drive! I put everything else on other drives. Got terabytes to spare, LOL!

My question was about the relative quality of Crucial SSD. Have never used one. Samsung has always been my reliable go-to for SSD. But $42 for a Crucial with the same capacity drive as my current Samsung 860 EVO 500GB SATA drive, in a much faster M.2 form factor was worth considering. Just investigating this from strictly a performance (not capacity) viewpoint. The Crucial is $30 cheaper than the Samsung M.2 I had been looking at.

But thanks for the suggestion! 😜

3 minutes ago, abacab said:

I just don't need anything larger than 500GB for my boot drive! I put everything else on other drives. Got terabytes to spare, LOL!

My question was about the relative quality of Crucial SSD. Have never used one. Samsung has always been my reliable go-to for SSD. But $42 for a Crucial with the same capacity drive as my current Samsung 860 EVO 500GB SATA drive, in a much faster M.2 form factor was worth considering. Just investigating this from strictly a performance (not capacity) viewpoint. The Crucial is $30 cheaper than the Samsung M.2 I had been looking at.

I have some computers using Crucial and Samsung and I have never had any problem with them
I think that Samsung could be a little little little bit better, but both are reliable from my point of view and experience

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, abacab said:

Both Crucial and Samsung are good brands.  Samsung may have slightly better performance but at a higher price.  But both are reliable (my most important criteria).

https://premiumbuilds.com/comparisons/crucial-mx500-vs-samsung-860-evo/

https://ssdsphere.com/crucial-mx500-vs-samsung-870-evo/

I've purchased both brands.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Niky Serrano said:

I have some computers using Crucial and Samsung and I have never had any problem with them
I think that Samsung could be a little little little bit better, but both are reliable from my point of view and experience

Thanks for the feedback! I had read a few negative comments with concerns about this particular M.2 drive on both the Amazon and Crucial sites, while they are overall positive, often reviews are to be taken with a shaker of salt!

And yes, I ignored the complaints about the missing *screw! 🤣

*NVMe screw kit (2 screws + 2 standoffs) supplied in my ASUS motherboard retail box. Glad that I saved that!

Edited by abacab
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, abacab said:

Thanks for the feedback! I had read a few negative comments with concerns about this particular M.2 drive on both the Amazon and Crucial sites, while they are overall positive, often reviews are to be taken with a shaker of salt!

And yes, I ignored the complaints about the missing screw! 🤣

You are welcome!
Anyway, you could get a failure unit,... but it would be bad luck and strange because Samsung and Crucial have a good reputation with the quality processes

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Niky Serrano said:

You are welcome!
Anyway, you could get a failure unit,... but it would be bad luck and strange because Samsung and Crucial have a good reputation with the quality processes

Good to know! Fortunately I am experienced with imaging and cloning, so always prepared for that eventuality. About 4 years ago I helped a friend build a new PC, including a new Samsung SSD EVO 850 250GB. I also upgraded my PC with the same SSD model around the same time.

His Samsung SSD suddenly died about a year later, but mine is still rocking! Have since swapped my original SSD drive into a laptop that came with an HDD, and many thousands of hours later, it's still healthy!

But being cautious, and wary of sudden SSD death, I implemented a daily full  imaging schedule for my SSD boot drive.

• Thinking now about the possibility of keeping my original SATA boot drive in place after installing the M.2 drive after cloning my boot drive to the M.2.
  • With the old SATA drive remaining in place I could set up a schedule to clone the M.2 drive to the SATA drive nightly.
  • With the bootable SATA drive already installed, and always containing the most recent clone copy of the M.2 drive, it would be available to boot from at any time in case the M.2 drive suddenly failed.

"With Macrium Reflect you can *boot the target disk on the same system after cloning. Cloning your hard drive creates a bootable new hard drive with the state of your computer at the time you undertook the clone."

* Windows can not be booted from USB. This would only work using an internal drive.

Edited by abacab
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, ALC said:

Both Crucial and Samsung are good brands.  Samsung may have slightly better performance but at a higher price.  But both are reliable (my most important criteria).

https://premiumbuilds.com/comparisons/crucial-mx500-vs-samsung-860-evo/

https://ssdsphere.com/crucial-mx500-vs-samsung-870-evo/

I've purchased both brands.

It seems that Crucial MX500 is a respectable drive.

However on a comparison link from premiumbuilds.com, here's what they have to say about the Crucial P2 that I was considering:

"On the other hand, the Crucial P2 may not be great for installing and running games and applications, but it is a fast SSD that is great for large file transfers, especially for its $92 current selling price for 1TB capacity. If you need an SSD to store and transfer files, the Crucial P2 will not disappoint. "

The P2 is probably not an ideal candidate for the primary boot drive in my DAW. 🙄

https://premiumbuilds.com/comparisons/crucial-p1-vs-p2/

Thanks again!

Edited by abacab
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, abacab said:

It seems that Crucial MX500 is a respectable drive.

However on a comparison link from premiumbuilds.com, here's what they have to say about the Crucial P2 that I was considering:

"On the other hand, the Crucial P2 may not be great for installing and running games and applications, but it is a fast SSD that is great for large file transfers, especially for its $92 current selling price for 1TB capacity. If you need an SSD to store and transfer files, the Crucial P2 will not disappoint. "

The P2 is probably not an ideal candidate for the primary boot drive in my DAW. 🙄

https://premiumbuilds.com/comparisons/crucial-p1-vs-p2/

Thanks again!

Get a 2 TB MX500 for $162 with code  FTSBUAA455 at Newegg

https://www.newegg.com/crucial-mx500-2tb/p/N82E16820156175?Description=Crucial MX500&cm_re=Crucial_MX500-_-20-156-175-_-Product&quicklink=true

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cclarry said:

Sorry, that's not an M.2 NVMe... 😜

Looking to use up one of my 2 available M.2 slots (for boot drive performance, not capacity). Already have 1TB and 2TB internal SSD's in 2.5" form factor.

But thanks for playing!

Edited by abacab

1 minute ago, abacab said:

Sorry, that's not an M.2 NVMe... 😜

Looking to use up one of my 2 available M.2 slots (for boot drive performance, not capacity). Already have a 2TB internal SSD in 2.5" form factor.

But thanks for playing!

My bad Ab...I thought you were looking at 2.5's