My First Collaboration Revisited

John Vere

Title - Talkin bout my baby-   https://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=14408626   

As I go back through my old projects I found this one. I wasn't happy with the mix so I tweaked it a bit as well as re mastering with my new workflow. I also did a little bit of midi editing to fix a few timing issues. It's real bass. 

This was my first time I did a collaboration with a Forum Member, Lets see If I can conjure him up @SteveC   Not sure if this is same person but looks like if it is, then a big thanks once again for adding the Keyboard parts. Made a big difference. 

Here's the piece of history if you want to time machine back to the old Songs Forum.  The link to the original will be long dead. 

http://forum.cakewalk.com/My-first-collaboration-Song-m3614914.aspx

• Like 1

I just read that old thread and down the page I found this nice list of Stats about the song- 

Cactus Music - June 06, 17 8:01 AM

I only quantizied some of the drum parts like the kick and hi hat. The rest I manually tweaked a little here and there.   I set the grid resolution to 1/8 triplets just as a guide. 
I didn't touch Steve's parts.
And the Audio is mostly all one take, 2 guitars , bass vocals.

I did punch in the main guitar solo as I wanted it to jump out using a different PU. 
Bass is Yamaha via Fender Rumble 100 
Guitar - Rythym Strat copy via Fender Princeton - SM 57 
            Fills my custom Tele , neck humbucker- Green Mile - Fender Princeton SM 57
            Lead solo same but Bridge PU and more Green mile ( the green mile is a Tube screamer clone by Mooer) 
Drums played  on Yamaha DX 450 into Stike2 custom pre set 

The update to this is I swapped out Air drums for Addictive Drums. 

And I did end up manually quantizing some drum and keyboard parts, reading the above now made me realize why. 

Thanks for listening,

Here's a screenshot of  the project and the AD kit. I've bought a few goodies over time and pretty sure the rides where one of those upgrades I did. Part of the drum sound I think can be attributed to playing it on a digital kit and not over quantizing.

It's all been in a Tupperware tub since I moved and I really do need to set it up again now I had my shoulder replaced. I couldn't play drums or Dreadnought acoustics for a few years now due to a bad shoulder. 

Screenshot (375).png

• Thanks 1

I had just left the old song forum open and got curious. I see I was almost the last person to post on the old forum there, 

http://forum.cakewalk.com/Remix-of-a-song-from-2004-m3809572.aspx

I bumped at January 16, 19 7:31 PM  

But looks like @Sent4th   was last man out the door  January 16, 19 8:24 PM

And @Serious_Noize!  a close second  beat me by 1 minute. 

The other interesting thing is all these old dead end threads have huge view counts mine got-

2 Replies  5937 Views  Stupid thing is most all the links to the songs are now dead ends. 

Great sound on this easy listening Blues number.  I definitely agree that Blues did hit a stage of stagnation where everything started to copy everything else.  The point seemed to see how many notes you could fit into a bar and how fast you could play them.  I guess that is why I gravitate back to the Blues of the late 1940's, 2950's, and early 1960's.  Styles seemed to vary widely then (e.g., compare Hound Dog Taylor, B.B. King, Sonny Boy Williamson II, Jimmy Reed, etc.).  It was all the Blues but they all varied in style.  Oh well, I do carry on -- sorry for the rant!

Again good job on this one!