What's this padlock?

Jeremy Murray-Wakefield

Question

14 answers to this question

That looks like the locked view icon, but how it got on the main project window I've no idea.

Are you using a custom theme?  Perhaps the theme is out of date or corrupt?

[Edit] - as the OP has pointed out, it's actually the PRV in the screen shot, which is set to be a locked view.

20 minutes ago, msmcleod said:

That looks like the locked view icon, but how it got on the main project window I've no idea.

Are you using a custom theme?  Perhaps the theme is out of date or corrupt?

Thanks for chiming in.

Looks like a bug to me albeit a cosmetic one.

Thanks guys - I've had a play around, and it seems that you're right - that's what it is.

> how it got on the main project window I've no idea.

It happens when you've got a non-floating view (e.g. Piano View) in the main window. Here is the project non-maximised:

image.thumb.png.0066dfd60d547d7a4527282c73dbe801.png

When you maximise the piano roll, the padlock appears at top-right of the menu bar strip, next to the workspace selector:

image.thumb.png.e91a76ced2364ba840eb6a886018a76b.png

> Looks like a bug to me albeit a cosmetic one.

Well - certainly if you flip to the main window and back, it disappears. Some other UI refreshing operations kill it off too:

image.thumb.png.1924a54bf42010b6649b66900b53a300.png

Interesting - I had not heard about Locked Views before, so thanks for that! 🙂

Best rgds,
Jeremy.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, sjoens said:

A phantom graphic?! An old holdout from long ago no longer used but still lurking deep within.

Quick search in Theme Editor (and other places🙄) reveals no such graphic.

No, it's the locked view indicator - see : http://www.cakewalk.com/Documentation?product=Cakewalk&language=3&help=WindowManagement.05.html

Locked views are particularly useful for things like the PRV, as it means you can have multiple PRV's open with each one locked to a particular track.

I understand that and use those features all the time, but nowhere has this particular graphic ever displayed for me when using them in X1 thru CbB.

The graphic in your link is different. The one in the OP looks like an old bitmap from pre X series.

I'm not sure how others are seeing it unless they're on 2021.12 EA.

1 hour ago, sjoens said:

I understand that and use those features all the time, but nowhere has this particular graphic ever displayed for me when using them in X1 thru CbB.

The graphic in your link is different. The one in the OP looks like an old bitmap from pre X series.

I'm not sure how others are seeing it unless they're on 2021.12 EA.

This is certainly not new to 2021.12.  I can get it in SONAR X2, SONAR X3, SONAR Platinum and CbB:

1. Open the PRV
2. Make the main window floating
3. Undock the PRV
4. Lock the PRV View
5. Set PRV to "Disable Floating"
6. Make the PRV full size.

Here it is in X2:

padlockReproX2.gif

Gotcha . Appears it's a bitmap introduced with X1. "Disable Floating" triggers the icon. "Lock Contents" turns it "ON/OFF".

Not sure why but my icon is >squished< when in full size view.

Disable Floating may be useful for those who want to "remove" the Multidock for more screen space.

Edited by sjoens

On 12/10/2021 at 6:21 PM, Jeremy Murray-Wakefield said:

You got the answer wrong.
Are you always this rude and arrogant?

Does anyone else know the (correct) answer?

Not fair! Your the one being rude to someone who is trying to help!   I put a smilly to show my tone which was trying to be jovial.

All I saw in your screenshot  was a lock beside the Workspace icon. So I assumed this was on the track view.  I found it,  and I opened the help module and it told me what it was,  The scroll lock, and it sure made prefect sense to me as to what it was. I google the term and found this. 

From the documentation: 

Auto scroll lock in Clips pane

While editing, you can prevent the Clips pane from scrolling horizontally during playback. This allows you to focus on the edit location without worrying that the screen will eventually scroll away from the edit location.

When the Left Click Locks Scroll option is enabled (default behavior), the Clips pane will not scroll if you click any object in the Clips pane. When you are done with the edit and want the Clips pane to scroll again during playback, click in the background of the Clips pane to clear auto scroll lock.

To enable/disable auto scroll lock

Click the Track view Options menu, point to Click Behavior and choose Left Click Locks Scroll on the submenu.

This works but Now I don't see that icon?  It's replies like this that make me realize how much time I'm wasting here. 

See ya later. 

19 minutes ago, John Vere said:

Not fair! Your the one being rude to someone who is trying to help!   I put a smilly to show my tone which was trying to be jovial

Telling someone "You should really learn how to use Google", is never - under any circumstances - 'jovial'
- nor was your smiley - which my system identifies as the 'grimacing face' emoji.

26 minutes ago, John Vere said:

It's replies like this that make me realize how much time I'm wasting here. 

I'll overlook the obvious call for a pile-on - we're both adults, and I am sure that you are well-aware of how much your contributions are valued by the community.

I am happy to accept that you didn't intend to come across in quite the way that you did, so let's move on 🙂

Best rgds,
J.