even numbered inputs on Scarlett 18i20 not listed

Penny Fowkes

I have a new 3rd gen Scarlette 18i20 that I am trying to use with Cakewalk. When assigning instruments to tracks, only the odd numbered inputs are available as "input1 left, input 1 right, input 1 stereo etc. and the same with 3,5,7,9 No even numbered inputs are listed in the drop down.

What am I doing wrong?

Edited by Penny Fowkes

50 minutes ago, Penny Fowkes said:

input 1 right

Is channel #2 on the interface

input 3 right - is channel #4

and so on

53 minutes ago, Penny Fowkes said:

What am I doing wrong?

nothing, it is just how the inputs are reported to the DAW,

• Thanks 1

On 1/29/2021 at 7:28 PM, Penny Fowkes said:

What am I doing wrong?

You are expecting Cakewalk to be able to correctly enumerate and display the inputs on your audio interface.

This is a shortcoming of Cakewalk's. Consider yourself fortunate to get "1 Left, 1 Right." With my PreSonus Firepod, Cakewalk reports them as "1L Left, 1L Right, 1L Stereo." And so on. Yes, it calls my second input not "two," or even "two right," but  "one left right." And yes, this has led to my assigning the wrong input to a a track when in the heat of recording.

As pointed out above, Windows reports the inputs like this to Cakewalk, unfortunately, unlike other audio programs, Cakewalk displays this to the user without translating. It's possible to do, Cakewalk is the only audio program I've used that doesn't tell me that input 3 is input 3.

If you don't like how this works, please do report it in the Feedback Loop forum.

Edited by Starship Krupa
I got the numbering wrong
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Starship Krupa said:

You are expecting Cakewalk to be able to correctly enumerate and display the inputs on your audio interface.

This is a shortcoming of Cakewalk's. Consider yourself fortunate to get "1 Left, 1 Right." With my PreSonus Firepod, Cakewalk reports them as "1L Left, 1L Right, 1L Stereo." And so on. Yes, it calls my third input not "three," or even "three right," but  "one left right." And yes, this has led to my assigning the wrong input to a a track when in the heat of recording.

As pointed out above, Windows reports the inputs like this to Cakewalk, unfortunately, unlike other audio programs, Cakewalk displays this to the user without translating. It's possible to do, Cakewalk is the only audio program I've used that doesn't tell me that input 3 is input 3.

If you don't like how this works, please do report it in the Feedback Loop forum.

If you don't like the names, just rename them in Audio->Devices. 

Each input/output has a "Friendly Name" field. You can name this to what you want, and this will be what is displayed if you check the "Use Friendly Names" checkbox.

• Great Idea 1
  • Sad 1

22 hours ago, msmcleod said:

If you don't like the names, just rename them in Audio->Devices. 

Each input/output has a "Friendly Name" field. You can name this to what you want, and this will be what is displayed if you check the "Use Friendly Names" checkbox.

You can't do it per input though, just per stereo pair.  It's OK as is, but not perfect (personally I've never had a problem to name mine things like "Instrument/Mic" and "translate" in my head to "Instrument = left, Mic = right").

• Like 1

On 1/30/2021 at 3:28 PM, msmcleod said:

f you don't like the names, just rename them in Audio->Devices. 

Actually. no. It would be wonderful if this were the case, but it's not.

I can change the "Input 1L" part of it, let's say I change it to read "Inputs 1+2." What I'll get in Cakewalk is the following choice of inputs:

• Stereo Inputs 1+2
  • Left Inputs 1+2
  • Right Inputs 1+2

For the even-numbered inputs, there is no way to get them to display correctly in Cakewalk. If it allowed us to rename the inputs individually it would be a great improvement, and at least I would shut up about it. It would be nice if the program could display the actual input numbers by default, but if I were able to do it myself, that would suffice.

I don't like to play the "every other DAW" card, but in this case, since the retort has always been "we report what the driver is telling us," I will. So Cakewalk reports exactly what the driver says. That works great when the driver is correctly reporting the names. Many drivers do not, so can we please stop doing that and start doing whatever all the other audio programs on my computer are doing when they manage to correctly label my inputs? I suspect what they do is if the inputs are reported as stereo pairs, they throw away the "Input 1L Right" stuff, and just divide by 2 and label the inputs sequentially.

There's nothing on the front panel of my interfaces to indicate that they are stereo pairs, or left and right, they're just labeled 1-8. This has caused problems in the heat of more than one recording session when I had the vocal mic plugged into input 2 and then accidentally armed the track to record from "Input 1L Left" when it should have been "Input 1L Right." How silly of me. I sure looked silly as I tapped on the mic trying to figure out why it was only picking up room noise while the singer fidgeted. I was actually monitoring an amp mic that was plugged into what Cakewalk calls "Input 1L Left."

(When Show Mono Outputs is selected, Cakewalk also lists the outputs in the same, incorrect way)

• Like 2

@msmcleod similar experience here. my UMC 1820 (channels 1-12) display in the windows device manager as independent IO but in CbB they're listed as L-R - something like UMC 1820 IN01L, UMC 1820 I02R, etc. the Alesis IO2 - same, and the only time it's right is the generic USB audio codec (and related ASIO4ALL) i use on the Q802USB mixer.

on the UMC - i can rename them (and i do like "OUT01, IN02, OUT10, IN03, etc) so it readily matches my patch panel setup. 

internally, it may be that to keep CbB sane on stereo tracks, so its "hardwired" adjacent pairing 01-02 = stereo track 1, 03-04 = stereo track 2, etc.

whereas it would be nice to have an assignment matrix so each stereo track can be assigned whatever IO channels i want - 01, 07 = stereo track 1, 03, 05 = stereo track 2. would likely ease some of the routing for dual mono, and external device connections 🙂 

• Like 1