Tracktion 10 Announced at NAMM

cclarry

It looks like a new version keeps coming out every year.  I have W8 & W9 and I realize that they need to make money to keep the store open, but then they seem to stop updating last year's version as soon as the new one is released. It is almost like a subscription, in that you don't get any more bug fixes unless you keep buying the latest version.  I would rather they slow down the pace a bit and maybe release some .5 releases in between major versions.

39 minutes ago, abacab said:

It looks like a new version keeps coming out every year.  I have W8 & W9 and I realize that they need to make money to keep the store open, but then they seem to stop updating last year's version as soon as the new one is released. It is almost like a subscription, in that you don't get any more bug fixes unless you keep buying the latest version.  I would rather they slow down the pace a bit and maybe release some .5 releases in between major versions.

Plus, I have a really hard time with the user interface. It is quite different from Cakewalk, Studio One, Mixbus etc. It is pretty capable but I really struggle with its interface and so have not updated.

• Like 1

I have no issues with the Tracktion interface. I find it rather intuitive. But I struggle with the UI in Reaper, FL Studio, and Reason. So I understand UI preference and workflow is a personal thing.

If you really want different, try Ableton Live!  I like that one too, but have to read the manual to do anything.

And bottom line is that most DAWs offer a demo version, so there's really no reason to get stuck and unhappy that you bought something you struggle with.

5 hours ago, abacab said:

This is another DAW that is on my cut list for that reason.  It reminds me of Sonar from v3 to 8 or Finale.  Plus they raised the price of their DAW on upgrades. 

I bought W8 for the MIDI pattern generator in 2017, and upgraded to W9 in 2018 for the chord track  that works with the pattern generator. That really completed the pattern feature that began with W8. It's a cool tool.

But I don't see any major MIDI enhancements coming with W10, so I will probably hold out on upgrading this year. I have what I need, until something else interesting comes along. I use this as a secondary DAW, mostly just as a creative idea generating tool. It stands out as unique in that regard.

50 minutes ago, InstrEd said:

i think it is worth it for the creative potential but I think you have to get it on the sale price to make it worth it. Al least for me anyway.

+1 for the creative potential!

I find that I can drop chords into the PRV in this thing faster than with any other tool.  For example, handy for quickly building up a MIDI chord progression in one track, then adding a matching bassline to it in another track.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, abacab said:

+1 for the creative potential!

I find that I can drop chords into the PRV in this thing faster than with any other tool.  For example, handy for quickly building up a MIDI chord progression in one track, then adding a matching bassline to it in another track.

Tracktion I found very interesting to use.   Very quick and easy to experiment with. Glad I have it in my tool-kit.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

https://www.tracktion.com/products/waveform

It's out now.  

On 1/25/2019 at 1:37 PM, abacab said:

I agree with this.   This is a DAW on my cut list.  I think their price is not competitive.   $499 for all of their bells and whistles?  It's not in the same league as the major DAWs.  My upgrade for S1 Pro was slightly less than $69. 

On 1/25/2019 at 7:54 PM, abacab said:

I bought W8 for the MIDI pattern generator in 2017, and upgraded to W9 in 2018 for the chord track  that works with the pattern generator. That really completed the pattern feature that began with W8. It's a cool tool.

But I don't see any major MIDI enhancements coming with W10, so I will probably hold out on upgrading this year. I have what I need, until something else interesting comes along. I use this as a secondary DAW, mostly just as a creative idea generating tool. It stands out as unique in that regard.

Kinda reminds me of Propellar Heads.  They spend a great deal of time on additives and not enough on the DAW. There's no shortage of pattern generators and just buy a plugin to use in all DAWs.