Copied Clip Has Added Reverb!

Stephen Power

Question

I'm copying a clip from a midi track (Musio solo cello) with no reverb on it, to a duplicate of that track, but the copied clip has a LOT of reverb on it?

Anyone know what's going on, and how to fix it? Thanks again for any help.

12 answers to this question

1 hour ago, 57Gregy said:

As far as I know, MIDI can't have reverb. There is an Echo Delay plug-in, though.

I'm regularly adding reverb to midi tracks. My question, though, is about reverb (EW Spaces and Breverb) being carried over from a clip to another track (which does not have those plugins applied.

17 minutes ago, Stephen Power said:

I'm regularly adding reverb to midi tracks. My question, though, is about reverb (EW Spaces and Breverb) being carried over from a clip to another track (which does not have those plugins applied.

Okay, you're adding reverb to the soft synth audio tracks that the MIDI track is feeding. My misunderstanding.

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, Canopus said:

Then you've probably pasted the MIDI clip as a linked clip.

https://legacy.cakewalk.com/Documentation?product=Cakewalk&language=3&help=Arranging.44.html

Interesting point, because I am aware of the 'linked clip' option when duplicating a track, but I never check it, and I was going to look up what it means today. Thanks for the link.

I dragged the clip from one to track another, with Ctrl/left-click (my usual method). Could that cuase the linked clip - but I have to say this is the first time that's happened. But, I'm not sure if I've ever tried it with clips that have FX added.

Edited by Stephen Power

Posted (edited)

You need to clarify the project setup and the intent of doubling the cello part and what steps you took to copy the MIDI. Are you saying you have two Instrument tracks (combined MIDI and Synth audio) using two separate instances of Musio Cello inserted in the synth rack? Or is it two MIDI/Audio channels of a multitimbral instrument? The Musio website doesn't even make clear whether the plugin is multitimbral or you use a separat einstance for each sound.

As has been explained, MIDI itself does not produce reverb, but there is  a MIDI controller (CC 91) that is intended to control the depth/level of reverb produced by a synth, and Cakewalk MIDI tracks (and the MIDI side of Instrument tracks) have a knob for it.

Copy-Pasting or drag-copying a MIDI clip from one track to another cannot, by itself, cause an instrument to start producing reverb unless the clip contains CC91 messages or the instrument on the target track is already configured to be producing reverb.  If the timing of the MIDI clip is inadvertently shifted by a few ticks it might produce a delay effect that sounds a bit like reverb, but I doubt that's the problem in this case.

As and aside, you should be aware that simply doubling an instrument with no change to the timbre of the patch and timing of the MIDI is not going to make the two tracks sound like two separat einstrument; it will just make the cello louder. Most symphonic plugins have 'section' versions  of instruments to produce the chorusing effect of multiple musicians playing the same part.

Edited by David Baay
  • Like 5

5 hours ago, 57Gregy said:

As far as I know, MIDI can't have reverb.

OT, but to clarify.....   With Roland GS synths (Including TTS-1) and XG Synths,  CC91 will increase the reverb send on the given part.  Will not help the OP, but certain MIDI files do have these CC events (The ones I produce do).

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Stephen Power said:

I dragged the clip from one to track another, with Ctrl/left-click (my usual method).

Without details to see what you have done, if you are copying a clip and also need to preserve timing, use CTRL-Shift-drag. The Shift preserves timing when moving vertically between tracks. If Snap is off, you could have introduced a minute delay between the two copies, which is a common trick to get a chorus effect.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mettelus said:

you could have introduced a minute delay between the two copies, which

This is what I was thinking too. Reverb can only be created by a specific effect and if it is not in the signal path of this problem child clip then it is not possible to have reverb.
But delay is possible with out an effect in the signal path.  So we can’t be sure if the OP knows the difference between reverb and delay. 
Also we do need to know if this is only a midi track feeding the same Instrument or if it’s a second instance of the same instrument. And if it it is, does it have its own reverb built in. There’s sort of infinite possibilities. 

MIDI track Inspector has chorus & reverb on the top of right strip which can affect the synth/softsynth if it has the capability, like most Yamaha synths do.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, mettelus said:

Without details to see what you have done, if you are copying a clip and also need to preserve timing, use CTRL-Shift-drag. The Shift preserves timing when moving vertically between tracks. If Snap is off, you could have introduced a minute delay between the two copies, which is a common trick to get a chorus effect.

Thanks for that and to @David Baay for his detailed feedback. BTW David, I've got 2 separate instances of musio with the same VI on them. I copied them to 'thicken' the sound and to give one instrument a harmony line - and I find it works well.

I have never suggested I wanted them to sound like two separate instruments. But, I have had good results with a 'stereo effect' from 'nudging' a copied instrument 'right x3'. But that wasn't my intention here. 

When I copy midi events on the PRV, I always use ctrl/shift/drag and I always use shift when moving events up and down. But (for a reason unknown) I usually only use ctrl/drag when copying clip to another track. So, it's possible that I've introduced delay in the copied track.

I'm more aware of how to do it correctly now and if the delay happens again, it must be something else. I could only 'fix' it by deleting the clip and adding the events in singly.

Edited by Stephen Power
  • Like 2