Native Instruments Utopia synth free at KVR

Starship Krupa

15 hours ago, Starship Krupa said:

My complaint about Native Access is that when it first installs, and whenever it updates, it installs and enables 3 different services that are only used to connect and configure Native Instruments hardware.

So every time there's an update to Native Access, I have to open Windows' Services app, shut them all down and set them to disabled.

Softube have also started installing and enabling their own "Softube Installer Helper," which I go in and set to manual and only start up when I'm installing Softube updates.

How egotistical do you have to be to assume that it's okay to install a service that's to support products the user doesn't own and/or are only needed during product updates?

I also leave Waves Local Server set to manual. That thing is a joke, all it does is enable the fancier preset browser that was kluged on a few years ago.

I keep getting regular alerts from my firewall for most of these services (including some developers not mentioned by you above) even though no application related to them has been launched by me. 

The services are not just auto launching and running quietly in the background. They are actively pinging whatever domain/server that is associated with them.

Edited by Kal S
  • Sad 1

57 minutes ago, Kal S said:

The services are not just auto launching and running quietly in the background. They are actively pinging whatever domain/server that is associated with them.

I just open Services and disable the ones that don't do anything constructive.

If I'm not sure, I set their startup to manual.

Native Instruments also installs a whole program whose function is to configure their hardware. I uninstall that and it takes the NIHardware service out.

Why don't they just include it among the other programs, instruments and plug-ins in the Native Access app and let people install it if they need it? So then if someone buys a piece of their hardware, they have to install Native Access to get the configuration program, and at that point, they get to install all of the great freebies and see the offers. It's backwards.

• Like 1

On 4/5/2024 at 12:04 PM, pwal³ said:
On 4/5/2024 at 12:01 PM, kitekrazy said:

UA does the same thing and no option to keep it from startup.

msconfig is your friend

This! That thing randomly popped up on me twice, while working on a track and froze the whole process until I shut it off. Made me so mad. Great products, but imo its the worst product manager for doing that. I mean, get software to make music and it halts the process is pretty counter productive. Certainly not gig worthy "out of the box".

12 hours ago, Starship Krupa said:

I just open Services and disable the ones that don't do anything constructive.

If I'm not sure, I set their startup to manual.

Native Instruments also installs a whole program whose function is to configure their hardware. I uninstall that and it takes the NIHardware service out.

Why don't they just include it among the other programs, instruments and plug-ins in the Native Access app and let people install it if they need it? So then if someone buys a piece of their hardware, they have to install Native Access to get the configuration program, and at that point, they get to install all of the great freebies and see the offers. It's backwards.

I've tried this and also tried disabling services through msconfig so they don't auto launch at startup. However, the services get reset to Automatic launch every time you update the installer or download a product update. Also, the updates don't work unless you have that installer's respective service running in the background.

Having a firewall is really an eye opener on how many times during the day dormant software on your system keep pinging the internet. Windows 10 seems to get triggered with almost anything and everything.

I have made an AutoHotHey script that only starts the NTKDaemonService service when I start Native Access.  It also stops the service when I exit Native Access.

I also set the NTKDaemonService service to “manual”.

Of course, this gets set to “Automatic” every time Native Access is updated.  Therefore, my script also sets the NTKDaemonService service to “manual”.

Here is the AutoHotHey script

#SingleInstance force
SetTitleMatchMode, 2
#NoTrayIcon

RunWait, sc \\POC config "NTKDaemonService" start= demand
RunWait, NET START "NTKDaemonService",,Hide
RunWait, "C:\Program Files\Native Instruments\Native Access\Native Access.exe"
RunWait, NET STOP "NTKDaemonService",,Hide

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1