My Band May be Finished

Hope your drummer makes it bit. 

Sounds like you need to get programming a drum machine.

I'm with 

11 hours ago, John Vere said:

it’s that or stay at home which is the worst of the 2 evils 

That's the bottom line.

You never know bit, there maybe a young drummer that's been watching ya'll from afar and just waiting for a chance to prove himself.

Until that happens the drum machine will work. Not as well as your old drummer that's for sure, but it can work. If ya'll want it to.

• Like 1

I remember in the early 80’s I think the only drum machine was the Roland Comp Rhythm which used all analog stuff. I had one and we did a few bar gigs and it seemed absolutely no difference to the same crowd that was always there. You had to guess at tempo and figure out what a Fox Trot was.  
But that was the day we realized we got paid the same $400 for the weekend with one less person to share it with. The rest is history. 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, John Vere said:

the day we realized we got paid the same $400 for the weekend with one less person to share it with

Yep... motivating factor!!

Well it just keeps getting worse more interesting.

We had rehearsal on Thursday and the pressure was taking its toll on our singer, who's married to the drummer. She and the guitarist let a trivial disagreement bloom into a big argument and he left in a huff, never to return. This is unusual for us, as we all generally get along really well.

So yesterday we brought in a new guitarist and spent 4 hours working with him with the goal of deciding whether or not to cancel this week's gig, too. It's a good gig and we don't want to lose it - scenic location on a river, lively audiences and a decent-sounding room where we get to use our own PA.

To everyone's delight, the new fellow really stepped up to the challenge. It looks like we'll go ahead with next Saturday's gig, even if it's with a somewhat truncated repertoire. The drummer has new drugs that are greatly alleviating his treatment's side effects. We're rehearsing again today and will get in at least one more session before Saturday. For my part, I am doing my best to project confidence that it won't be a train wreck.

But there's a bit of a strain relief coming on Tuesday. I'm going up to Bellingham to see Penn & Teller, treating my daughter and granddaughter who haven't seen them live before. And since I'm not the one driving, it will be a pharmaceutically-enhanced evening for me. Brownies!

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, paulo said:

It's all gone a bit Fleetwood Mac....... how long will it be before the new guitarist insists that his girlfriend has to be in the band too ?

But, in that example, the drummer did end up with said girlfriend for a while! 😆

10 hours ago, bitflipper said:

taking its toll on our singer, who's married to the drummer.

I am sorry Bit. I didn't know this small, but very important, detail. I was speaking like the drummer had no other ties to the group other than being a drummer. Knowing that changes my whole opinion.

Yeah, you can program as many drum machines as you want until your blue in the face, it won't be the same.

Hope the meds help him pull through the gigs.

And I hoe your brownie ride goes as planed!!  

15 hours ago, craigb said:

But, in that example, the drummer did end up with said girlfriend for a while! 😆

Bitflipper shuffles nervously behind his rig as the bass player winks at him....

• Haha 2

On 3/24/2024 at 12:34 PM, bitflipper said:

We had rehearsal on Thursday and the pressure was taking its toll on our singer, who's married to the drummer. She and the guitarist let a trivial disagreement bloom into a big argument and he left in a huff, never to return. This is unusual for us, as we all generally get along really well.

So yesterday we brought in a new guitarist and spent 4 hours working with him with the goal of deciding whether or not to cancel this week's gig, too. It's a good gig and we don't want to lose it - scenic location on a river, lively audiences and a decent-sounding room where we get to use our own PA.

To everyone's delight, the new fellow really stepped up to the challenge. It looks like we'll go ahead with next Saturday's gig, even if it's with a somewhat truncated repertoire. The drummer has new drugs that are greatly alleviating his treatment's side effects. We're rehearsing again today and will get in at least one more session before Saturday. For my part, I am doing my best to project confidence that it won't be a train wreck.

But there's a bit of a strain relief coming on Tuesday. I'm going up to Bellingham to see Penn & Teller, treating my daughter and granddaughter who haven't seen them live before. And since I'm not the one driving, it will be a pharmaceutically-enhanced evening for me. Brownies!

My guess is, if the drummer can still play it will do him good to get out there. A whole lot more than if he had sat at home thinking about the grim reaper. That tension was probably bound to happen given the dynamics there. Guitarist leaving may have been for the best.

• Like 1

On 3/24/2024 at 12:34 PM, bitflipper said:

I'm really sorry to hear all that. I really hope it all works out for you and the group.

Your story reminds me of two times in my playing days that things fell apart.

I was the guitar player storming out once. I got tired of the rhythm player staying in G for 3 measures longer than he should and I said something. He told me he was tired of my criticism, and I said ok. Calmly walked over and packed my guitar in the case and walked out and never returned.

The best band I was ever in was in Iowa. We learned 5 sets of southern rock and other rock tunes. Something I had never done a full night of before.

2 weeks before our first gig the bass player, who was the leader and owned the PA and house where we practiced, said his job was relocating him out of state. The same night the lead singer also announced he was starting his own business and was leaving the band. After months of practice it was over in 30 minutes and we ended up canceling our first job.

That was the last time I tried and haven't even attempted to start or get into another band since. That was 99 or 2000 iirc.

It doesn't sound like you are anywhere near giving up. I'm sure you'll keep going somehow.

Back in the 70's I answered an ad for a keyboard player that sounded promising, as they advertised themselves as a 6-piece working band with immediate gigs.

I showed up on a Thursday for rehearsal, and was informed that we'd be heading out the following Sunday for three weeks in Montana. OK, I thought, I'm a quick learner, I can do this.

Then on Friday I learned that the entire band had quit the previous week, leaving only the drummer as the "band". Not a good sign. But I needed the money.

On Monday, our first night of six in Bozeman, I found out the drummer was a meth head who kept a loaded gun next to his bass drum out of paranoia.

After a six nights it came time to get paid. That's when I was told that the drummer was paying himself double what any of us were getting, because he owned the PA and the two vans, and we shouldn't complain because it was still more money than we'd ever seen. (It wasn't)

The next week, in Billings, things got weird(er). The drummer, now in the throes of methamphetamine withdrawal, would periodically stop playing mid-song and stare at his feet.

The second night there, the bass player had a nervous breakdown in the middle of a set and crumpled to the stage. Turned out she couldn't stand the drummer and was there only because he was her landlord and had threatened her with eviction.

On the third night, the guitarist got so frustrated he threw his vintage Les Paul onto the dance floor and walked off. I contacted the bar owner and told him we wouldn't be able to finish the week. He was cool and said he had a local band he could call in.

Next day, the drummer loaded up the trucks and left - without me and without the guitarist. We were left behind in Billings with our gear (including my 400 lb organ and Leslie). We had just enough money from the previous week's gig for the motel and airfare home. I had to pay a moving company to return my organ.

Lesson learned, I thought. But the lessons weren't done yet. A month later I got a letter from the musicians' union fining me $100 for "quitting without notice". I sent them my union card with explicit instructions as to where they might place it. Fortunately, the Supreme Court had just ruled that nobody could be coerced into joining a union, so every musician quit the union at once. The musicians' union had been just a mob-affiliated shakedown racket anyway. In short order the only union members left were the Seattle Symphony.

Sorry for the long story, but reading Shane's account got me angry all over again.

And this was not my worst band experience.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, bitflipper said:

Back in the 70's I answered an ad for a keyboard player that sounded promising, as they advertised themselves as a 6-piece working band with immediate gigs.

I showed up on a Thursday for rehearsal, and was informed that we'd be heading out the following Sunday for three weeks in Montana. OK, I thought, I'm a quick learner, I can do this.

Then on Friday I learned that the entire band had quit the previous week, leaving only the drummer as the "band". Not a good sign. But I needed the money.

On Monday, our first night of six in Bozeman, I found out the drummer was a meth head who kept a loaded gun next to his bass drum out of paranoia.

After a six nights it came time to get paid. That's when I was told that the drummer was paying himself double what any of us were getting, because he owned the PA and the two vans, and we shouldn't complain because it was still more money than we'd ever seen. (It wasn't)

The next week, in Billings, things got weird(er). The drummer, now in the throes of methamphetamine withdrawal, would periodically stop playing mid-song and stare at his feet.

The second night there, the bass player had a nervous breakdown in the middle of a set and crumpled to the stage. Turned out she couldn't stand the drummer and was there only because he was her landlord and had threatened her with eviction.

On the third night, the guitarist got so frustrated he threw his vintage Les Paul onto the dance floor and walked off. I contacted the bar owner and told him we wouldn't be able to finish the week. He was cool and said he had a local band he could call in.

Next day, the drummer loaded up the trucks and left - without me and without the guitarist. We were left behind in Billings with our gear (including my 400 lb organ and Leslie). We had just enough money from the previous week's gig for the motel and airfare home. I had to pay a moving company to return my organ.

Lesson learned, I thought. But the lessons weren't done yet. A month later I got a letter from the musicians' union fining me $100 for "quitting without notice". I sent them my union card with explicit instructions as to where they might place it. Fortunately, the Supreme Court had just ruled that nobody could be coerced into joining a union, so every musician quit the union at once. The musicians' union had been just a mob-affiliated shakedown racket anyway. In short order the only union members left were the Seattle Symphony.

Sorry for the long story, but reading Shane's account got me angry all over again.

And this was not my worst band experience.

Thanks Dave!  My current weird life seems sooooo much saner and more normal now! 🙂👍

• Like 1

1 hour ago, craigb said:

My current weird life seems sooooo much saner and more normal now!

Glad to be of service, Craig.

If we ever meet in person, I'll tell you how I met my wife...not a story for public consumption, albeit music-related.

• Like 1