MeldaProduction drastically lowered its subscription price? Now 15€ / month | 165€ / yearly

Solidos

23 minutes ago, Fleer said:

But it’s still a sub…

At least rent to own.   The price point seems about right for the market now.  While I never do subs (and have MComplete outright), I can't imagine the previous $50/month was something a lot of people could justify.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Fleer said:

But it’s still a sub…

By my definition no.
Looking it up in theSteven's imaginary book of definitions - my definition of a sub is, for example Adobe, where you build no equity with your payments and regardless of when you quit subscribing you end up with nothing.
The OP's comment about rent to own is closer to the mark.
I guess anything that you have to regularly pay for updates or new versions could be considered subscriptions. In which case BitWig, Cubase, StudioOne and others are subscriptions. 

Still YM(or opinion)MV.

At this point I own MComplete but $16 per month I might have opted for this back when.

Edited by TheSteven
  • Like 3

The only issue I have had with their sub is there's no defined off-ramp, i.e., it is a full-price (in payments) and what you have paid already cannot be used for other promotions.

The trials are pretty liberal, so if you take to their plugins, it is more cost-effective to nab one-offs on the individual sales as they hit (which will start to lower the bundle costs) and save up for the 50-60% bundle sales to hit (seems to be at least twice a year now).

Edited by mettelus
  • Like 1

Best opportunity was when they had the send in guitar playing recording offer.   If I had waited until I racked up all my recording during the period and that final sale they had which overlapped honestly could have gotten MComplete from ground zero.

It was a sweet deal for any guitar player that know how to record.  And I imagine we will never see something like that again.

44 minutes ago, TheSteven said:

my definition of a sub is, for example Adobe, where you build no equity with your payments and regardless of when you quit subscribing you end up with nothing.

Sorry to single you out here..... and I definitely get your point..... but I've made my living from the Adobe Suite for the last 25 years and a good part of that is with the subs.  My work pays for one sub and my freelance pays for my personal sub.  I've gotten wayyyy more equity out of it than I've put in.  Adobe isn't aiming at the casual user.  They're going after the people that use their subscription to make their money.  

Audio is different though with way more "hobbyists" than professionals.  So with that in mind, I completely agree with you.  I don't want to pay for a music subscription knowing that I might not even use it for a month or two.  Makes no sense to me and I'm definitely not getting anything in return.... other than a bit of fun.  Someone using a music sub that uses it to pay their bills?  Then yea, it makes perfect sense for them.  

Options are good and there are plenty of alternatives for everything.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Release said:

Sorry to single you out here..... and I definitely get your point..... but I've made my living from the Adobe Suite for the last 25 years and a good part of that is with the subs.  My work pays for one sub and my freelance pays for my personal sub.  I've gotten wayyyy more equity out of it than I've put in.  Adobe isn't aiming at the casual user.  They're going after the people that use their subscription to make their money.  

Audio is different though with way more "hobbyists" than professionals.  So with that in mind, I completely agree with you.  I don't want to pay for a music subscription knowing that I might not even use it for a month or two.  Makes no sense to me and I'm definitely not getting anything in return.... other than a bit of fun.  Someone using a music sub that uses it to pay their bills?  Then yea, it makes perfect sense for them.  

Options are good and there are plenty of alternatives for everything.

I know more people that use Adobe than use a DAW with adon effects as a hobby and I live in both worlds.  

Both are worlds of a sea of hobbiests vs a small pool of people making a sustainable living wage at it, and ironically it takes most more than a decade to make pro level results in music and plenty of people can get good enough for a small gig in photography/editing in less than two years without prior experience with some practice and youtube instruction.

Much harder to overcome the investment costs in music than it is in the digital art world.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Release said:

I've gotten wayyyy more equity out of it than I've put in.

This is a big differentiator on why people would sign up for the Adobe subscription or not, either they are making revenue to absorb the cost, have a 3rd party paying that for them, or just see it on the same level as their monthly cell phone bill.

@TheSteven's point also includes that if you end the subscription you lose access to the program that created the files, so that can also end up being a do-loop if you cannot offload them into a format that another program can use. Fortunately, a lot of the end-point media formats are universal and can be re-worked in other applications but this is not always the case.

Quick edit: Somehow got from Melda Production to Adobe! The other issue with the Melda rent-to-own model is the "full price" part stays the same... you just take 3 times longer paying it off.

Edited by mettelus
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Brian Walton said:

Best opportunity was when they had the send in guitar playing recording offer.   If I had waited until I racked up all my recording during the period and that final sale they had which overlapped honestly could have gotten MComplete from ground zero.

It was a sweet deal for any guitar player that know how to record.  And I imagine we will never see something like that again.

Yep. That’s what I did. Borrowed a whole load of guitars and recorded a whole load of different pickup configurations. With the plugins I already owned I ended up getting Complete for a tenner. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 2/20/2024 at 9:55 PM, Brian Walton said:

I know more people that use Adobe than use a DAW with adon effects as a hobby and I live in both worlds.  

Both are worlds of a sea of hobbiests vs a small pool of people making a sustainable living wage at it, and ironically it takes most more than a decade to make pro level results in music and plenty of people can get good enough for a small gig in photography/editing in less than two years without prior experience with some practice and youtube instruction.

Much harder to overcome the investment costs in music than it is in the digital art world.

Unfortunately the stuffed shirts in the DAW industry haven't quite figured that out.   Eventually the sub service price increases have the hobbyist finding alternatives. 

• Like 1

Sorry my last off topic comment... 

Re Adobe...

On 2/20/2024 at 9:19 PM, mettelus said:

@TheSteven's point also includes that if you end the subscription you lose access to the program that created the files, so that can also end up being a do-loop if you cannot offload them into a format that another program can use. Fortunately, a lot of the end-point media formats are universal and can be re-worked in other applications but this is not always the case.

And there is the time lost in researching files converters and/or replacement platforms, getting up to speed with replacement programs (and with replacing Dreamweaver time spent verifying that everything still functioned correctly), and recreating things that could not be properly converted. It made doing small maintenance jobs on previous work unprofitable.   

Lesson learned, I'll never (assuming that I have the option) put myself in that position again.

Edited by TheSteven
typos, etc.