Native Instruments Alicia's Keys Sale Plugin Boutique 12th Anniversary (Exclusive) for $13

cclarry

Not to muddy the waters (for all those Piano collectors in here), but I have been somewhat impressed with the Spitfire LABS Autograph Grand for some poppy stuff lately. It's a well known and used C6, and the dynamics make it run the gambit from really soft and squishy to fairly strong. Free.

Edit: and aficionados will notice the slightly off-temper tuning.

Edited by OutrageProductions
  • Great Idea 1

1 hour ago, OutrageProductions said:

Not to muddy the waters (for all those Piano collectors in here), but I have been somewhat impressed with the Spitfire LABS Autograph Grand for some poppy stuff lately. It's a well known and used C6, and the dynamics make it run the gambit from really soft and squishy to fairly strong. Free.

Edit: and aficionados will notice the slightly off-temper tuning.

I was contemplating putting together a thread, maybe with a poll where we could vote on our favorite pianos.  Mainly because I think it'd be great to learn from each other.  For example,  I have all the free Labs stuff, but I tend not to use it because the libraries aren't as detailed as my paid libraries for KONTAKT and SoundPaint. But knowing you from the forum and PMs -- I'm now going to take another look at the Autograph Grand. 

@OutrageProductions do you know how many layers Autograph Grand has? 

37 minutes ago, PavlovsCat said:

...do you know how many layers Autograph Grand has? 

No idea actually. To me it sounds like three v-layers. It's not IMO a solo instrument, but the 'tightness' control (IIRC-ATM) has a wide dynamic swing as I stated, from soft & squishy, to somewhat robust. Alecias pianos are more striking and percussive and useful as solo instruments tho.

I'll forego any opinion poll, because my choice of a piano is heavily dependent on the material I'm scoring. Sometimes it's NOIRE or UniCorda, sometimes it's a honky upright.

But do your thang bro.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PavlovsCat said:

I'm now going to take another look at the Autograph Grand.

It also reminded me a lot of the C6 that was at Caribou Ranch... which, due to the altitude, was never evenly tempered.😆

Come to think of it, I'd have to say that my favorite piano of all was the Bosendorfer Imperial that we had at studio A at Chicago Recording Company. It was the personal piano of the studio owner... wonder where that is now??

Worst piano ever was the 9' Steinway that got pushed off (and I actually mean dropped off) the back of the truck one hour before a Ramsey Lewis solo concert at the Chicago Hilton. Seems there was a small issue with the local cartage & stage union that evening. LOL!

• Like 1

I bought it - had some credit on PB so was $8 plus I chose UA PolyMAX as freebie. I usually use modeled pianos, Mrs Mills is the only sample based piano I use regularly. This piano was on my short list because so many people on music forums have mentioned they like it. Did you guess I'm not a concert pianist? 😀

Edited by Doug Steinschneider
  • Like 2

OK, you guys talked me into it. 😀 This is my first venture into the Kontakt ecosystem.

A question for people with a bunch of big sample libraries: can you run them successfully from a portable USB-attached hard drive? I've got a Western Digital drive I plug in for local backups, but I've never tried running samples from it. Before I go and load it up, I thought somebody here might know if it's worth trying. Thanks.

38 minutes ago, henkejs said:

OK, you guys talked me into it. 😀 This is my first venture into the Kontakt ecosystem.

A question for people with a bunch of big sample libraries: can you run them successfully from a portable USB-attached hard drive? I've got a Western Digital drive I plug in for local backups, but I've never tried running samples from it. Before I go and load it up, I thought somebody here might know if it's worth trying. Thanks.

The size of a library and the speed of a drive have a lot to do with it.  There are some affordable USB SSDs out there.

1 hour ago, henkejs said:

question for people with a bunch of big sample libraries: can you run them successfully from a portable USB-attached hard drive? I've got a Western Digital drive I plug in for local backups, but I've never tried running samples from it. Before I go and load it up, I thought somebody here might know if it's worth trying. Thanks.

I run all my samples from a 2tb Samsung usb drive.   It works great for me.  Here’s the link to the drive I’m using. https://a.co/d/6TTHjNJ

• Like 1