Resetting MIDI Bug?

sjoens

I've noticed when a stuck note requires a reset via the Control Bar Reset button, ALL MIDI track velocity faders default to 101 regardless of fader position, requiring them to be manually reset as well.

Edited by sjoens

14 hours ago, sjoens said:

ALL MIDI track velocity faders default to 101

I think you must mean MIDI Volume faders. Vel+ runs from -127 to +127 and resets to 0. It's MIDI Volume that resets to 101.

That said, do you use a hardware control surface or possibly have Remote Control set up on your MIDI Volume controls?

Edited by David Baay

Thanks guys.  I struggled with this yesterday for awhile.  I can't preproduce it without a stuck note so won't know if it was a glitch until I get another one.

11 hours ago, OutrageProductions said:

Check the setting in <Preferences><Project><MIDI><Zero Controllers When Play Stops>

Do you mean check to see, or ?  It was checked so I unchecked it to see if makes a difference, although I hope not as I need it checked for PRV controllers.

Edit:

No hardware controllers here.  I guess the MIDI fader is Volume, not velocity, but I've always viewed it as a master velocity fader as "volume" is controlled by the softsynth or outboard synth volume fader.  Note that MIDI track Gain knobs do go from -127 to +127 and reset to -0-.

Edited by sjoens

13 minutes ago, sjoens said:

Do you mean check to see, or ?  It was checked so I unchecked it to see if makes a difference, although I hope not as I need it checked for PRV controllers.

Test it either way.

I always have mine <unchecked> so that it will always pick up LFO mods exactly where they are set upon playback.  Or if any CC is only written starting well into the cue, it can think that CC is at zero from the beginning and really mess things up.

Although it can have strange effects on any synth patch that is an evolving or self modulating soundscape like Reaktor or Pandora.

YMMV.

It's not out of the realm of possibility that it truly was just a glitch. But now if it happens again, document & reproduce if you can.

Edited by OutrageProductions

15 hours ago, sjoens said:

Note that MIDI track Gain knobs do go from -127 to +127 and reset to -0-.

Unless I'm totally mistaken, the MIDI channel Input Gain knob is (sort of) unique to the DAW and does not have the availability to be assigned or automated by a MIDI CC#. Same thing with an Audio channel Input Gain knob. This may explain why they are trimmed in bipolar values. Generally they are set for gain staging and left in static mode. They may have some undocumented control available using CC 96-101, which translate RPN data to NRPN controls, but I can't find any detailed info on that. Probably only the Bakers know the bit/byte data stream for those encoders.
The Buss input gain & pan DO have automation CC's available in addition to the output fader & pan.

5 hours ago, OutrageProductions said:

Unless I'm totally mistaken, the MIDI channel Input Gain knob is (sort of) unique to the DAW and does not have the availability to be assigned or automated by a MIDI CC#. 

I just tested this and successfully assigned a slider on my usb keyboard to the Input Gain knob on a MIDI track/channel strip. It also moved the horizontal vel+/vel- slider in the track header.

10 minutes ago, User 905133 said:

I just tested this and successfully assigned a slider on my usb keyboard to the Input Gain knob on a MIDI track/channel strip. It also moved the horizontal vel+/vel- slider in the track header.

You're luckier than I am.  I have tried several ways to remote control via MIDI CC# with no results. Were you using a control that outputs NRPN data? Seems that may be possible. All my controller knobs are mapped via CC.

Again though, I fail to see the logical utility of automating the input trims. As a classically trained engineer, I only use those trims for gain staging... set & forget.

Edited by OutrageProductions

According to the reference manual pg 321, the MIDI channel strip top "Gain" knob (same as the TV Vel+ slider) controls velocity offset for that track - but AFAIK can't be automated.  @User 905133 can you describe steps for doing it?

Adjusting the note velocity (Vel+)
Each MIDI note event has a velocity, which represents how fast the key was struck when the track was recorded. On playback, the velocity offset parameter adjusts the velocity data for all notes in the track by the designated amount. The value can range from -127 to 127. The effect of changing velocities depends on the synthesizer. Some synthesizers do not respond to velocity information. For others, the effect varies depending on the sound or patch you have chosen. Normally, higher velocities result in louder and/or brighter-sounding notes. This parameter does not affect the velocity that is stored for each note event. When the clip is displayed in other views, like the Piano Roll  View, Staff view, or Event List view, you will see the original velocities as they are stored in the file. You can edit the velocity values in those views, or use the Process > Scale Velocity or Process > Find/Change command. Velocity is different from volume in that it is an attribute of each event, rather than a controller that affects an entire MIDI channel. Here’s an example of where this distinction might be important. Suppose you have several tracks containing different drum parts. All of these parts would probably be assigned to MIDI channel 10 (that’s the default channel for percussion in General MIDI). If you change the volume setting for any track that uses channel 10, all the different drum parts—regardless of what track they’re in—would be affected. If you change the note velocity for one drum track, it will be the only one whose volume is affected.
To set the velocity offset for a track
1. Open the Track Inspector or Console view.
2. Select the track you want to edit.
3. Adjust the Vel+ knob at the top of the channel strip.

However, Gain can be automated per clip by right-clicking the Clips button.  Even so, the knobs & sliders don't move so there's no visual que it's happening.
Wonder if that's a bug or an oversight?

Edited by sjoens

1 hour ago, OutrageProductions said:

You're luckier than I am.  I have tried several ways to remote control via MIDI CC# with no results. Were you using a control that outputs NRPN data? Seems that may be possible. All my controller knobs are mapped via CC.

Again though, I fail to see the logical utility of automating the input trims. As a classically trained engineer, I only use those trims for gain staging... set & forget.

Nope.  I just grabbed any ol' slider and it happened to be CC 14. It's an old model evolution MK-449C. I have almost all my knobs and sliders set up to send CCs on the current MIDI channel. That allows me to layer sounds by merely changing the current MIDI channel of the entire keyboard.  One knob is set up to send channel after touch.  I avoid RPNs and NRPNs.

Right clicked on Gain knob on the CV strip, chose Remote Control [aka MIDI Learn in some software], moved slider, selected Learn, clicked OK.

I never use the Input Gain and have no plans to, but it seemed easy enough to try to see if it could be done.

Edited by User 905133
fixed typos

7 hours ago, OutrageProductions said:

Unless I'm totally mistaken, the MIDI channel Input Gain knob is (sort of) unique to the DAW and does not have the availability to be assigned or automated by a MIDI CC#. 

38 minutes ago, sjoens said:

According to the reference manual pg 321, the MIDI channel strip top "Gain" knob (same as the TV Vel+ slider) controls velocity offset for that track - but AFAIK can't be automated.  @User 905133 can you describe steps for doing it?

Sorry for the confusion.  I took the statement to mean " . . . the MIDI channel Input Gain knob . . . does not have the availability to be (1) assigned or (2) automated by a MIDI CC#." I never use them, but I did try using the automation lanes. I was not able to use automation control the Gain knob. I don't know enough about automation lanes, though.

I see now the statement was could also have been read as  " . . . the MIDI channel Input Gain knob . . . does not have the availability to be assigned a MIDI CC# and then be automated."   

Edited by User 905133
edits in the interest of clarity

1 hour ago, User 905133 said:

Just wondering how you did this as the Gain knob & TV Vel+ slider can't be selected for Write-to automation.

8 hours ago, sjoens said:

Just wondering how you did this as the Gain knob & TV Vel+ slider can't be selected for Write-to automation.

Right click on the gain knob, and select "Remote Control" - you can assign a CC to control it there.

You're correct however - you can't automate it using automation.

• Thanks 1

On 1/13/2024 at 8:02 AM, sjoens said:

I've noticed when a stuck note requires a reset via the Control Bar Reset button, ALL MIDI track velocity faders default to 101 regardless of fader position, requiring them to be manually reset as well.

Is it necessary to reset a stuck note? I normally just hit the same NOTE again to get it to stop. 

4 minutes ago, sjoens said:

Sometimes.  I had one that kept getting stuck as I was playing it so I kept hitting reset and then resetting the volume levels.

Just a thought... have you checked for a sustain pedal CC64 that carries out under the transport stop point? I've had that happen quite often and tapping the sus pedal stops it.