Audio tests for your ears and playback system (incl. blind tests)

https://www.audiocheck.net/index.php

Lets you test things like headphones' reproduction of binaural, your frequency range, ability to perceive differences in distortion, bit depth, delay, etc.

Take the tests, see if your ears still have it after so many years of hard use. Find out possible flaws in your listening environment.

I was pleased with the results of most of the tests, no unpleasant surprises and some pleasant ones.

@bitflipper and @John Vere, I'm curious what y'all might have to say about it.

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, craigb said:

I went looking for the blind tests, but I didn't see them...

Blindness is in the eye of the beholder, just as beauty is in the face of the beautiful (and other parts of their anatomy).

Edited by Rain
  • Like 1

How cool that this person went to all that trouble to put all these tests in one place, plus giving very good background information for each one.

First test I did was "hearing loss". Said I have mild to moderate loss. Not unexpected for an old rocker, but sheesh, it doesn't exactly put a positive spin on the day. What I don't get is given my loss of sensitivity, why do I complain that most concerts are too loud?

I also did the low frequency harmonic distortion test. A few years ago I did away with a separate subwoofer (it was stolen, along with my 7.25" ADAM P11-As) and went with an 8" speaker that had excellent low-end extension (due to its large enclosure) and decided that I did not actually need a sub. But I hadn't tested again since those speakers died and were replaced by smaller, less-expensive 8" speakers. I was happy to see them doing fine down to 36 Hz, more than good enough.

The dynamic range / dither demonstration was great. It clearly shows the benefit of noise-shaping. Of course, it's mostly irrelevant with modern standards and nobody really needs to concern themselves with dither algorithms, but it's still interesting.

Same with the aliasing test. If your playback system fails this one, you're one cheap-***** mf. The first time I ever heard aliasing, I didn't know what it was. It sounded like birds chirping. That was on a $12 MP3 player I picked up at a drugstore 20 years ago. I haven't really heard noticeable aliasing since, although most of the time it shows up as a vague graininess you can't put your finger on, and is more often caused by poorly-designed synthesizers than anything else.

Try testing one of the sweep tests (e.g. the MATT test) by placing a microphone at your listening position and recording it. I've done this many times using Ethan Winer's swept sine file while testing room treatments and speaker placement, and it's  helpful for identifying room resonances that are making your room lie to you. Using that method, I was able to identify a problematic resonance at 70 Hz. Converting that to wavelength (L = 1028 / f, or 14.6 ft), I figured out that it had to be floor-to-ceiling and added more absorption to that axis to flatten it. A more sophisticated version is a tool called REW, but just recording the swept sine (or, in the case of the MATT test, a stepped sine) gives you a pretty good picture without need of any additional software beyond your DAW.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, bitflipper said:

How cool that this person went to all that trouble to put all these tests in one place, plus giving very good background information for each one.

First test I did was "hearing loss". Said I have mild to moderate loss. Not unexpected for an old rocker, but sheesh, it doesn't exactly put a positive spin on the day. What I don't get is given my loss of sensitivity, why do I complain that most concerts are too loud?

I also did the low frequency harmonic distortion test. A few years ago I did away with a separate subwoofer (it was stolen, along with my 7.25" ADAM P11-As) and went with an 8" speaker that had excellent low-end extension (due to its large enclosure) and decided that I did not actually need a sub. But I hadn't tested again since those speakers died and were replaced by smaller, less-expensive 8" speakers. I was happy to see them doing fine down to 36 Hz, more than good enough.

The dynamic range / dither demonstration was great. It clearly shows the benefit of noise-shaping. Of course, it's mostly irrelevant with modern standards and nobody really needs to concern themselves with dither algorithms, but it's still interesting.

Same with the aliasing test. If your playback system fails this one, you're one cheap-***** mf. The first time I ever heard aliasing, I didn't know what it was. It sounded like birds chirping. That was on a $12 MP3 player I picked up at a drugstore 20 years ago. I haven't really heard noticeable aliasing since, although most of the time it shows up as a vague graininess you can't put your finger on, and is more often caused by poorly-designed synthesizers than anything else.

Try testing one of the sweep tests (e.g. the MATT test) by placing a microphone at your listening position and recording it. I've done this many times using Ethan Winer's swept sine file while testing room treatments and speaker placement, and it's  helpful for identifying room resonances that are making your room lie to you. Using that method, I was able to identify a problematic resonance at 70 Hz. Converting that to wavelength (L = 1028 / f, or 14.6 ft), I figured out that it had to be floor-to-ceiling and added more absorption to that axis to flatten it. A more sophisticated version is a tool called REW, but just recording the swept sine (or, in the case of the MATT test, a stepped sine) gives you a pretty good picture without need of any additional software beyond your DAW.

Dave, Dave, Dave...  C'mon man!  You know there are bass players that visit this forum!  Now I'm sure there's a couple curled up in a ball in the corner of the room shaking and crying a little. 😂

• Haha 2

19 hours ago, bitflipper said:

I knew you would dig it most of all. First person I thought of when I found it.

I came across it while doing comparative listening tests among my small collection of popular studio cans (see sig). The ones that turned out to be my favorites (AKG K240) kind of surprised me, as they are also the least expensive ones in my collection, at $50 from Amazon.

This got me curious as to how they compared in more objective testing and I found that site linked from the head-fi.org site.

12 hours ago, Starship Krupa said:
12 hours ago, Starship Krupa said:

my favorites (AKG K240)

2 hours ago, Grem said:

That's the ones I use

Same time??!  Whoa...  That's kinda weird! 😮

😜

• Haha 1

On 1/4/2024 at 10:28 PM, bitflipper said:

Are you talking about my assertion that 36 Hz is a low-enough floor?

36 Hz is certainly low enough for most music... although there are some genres of music that go below that.  For example:

Not that everyone will care or appreciate it... but just in case you like exploring different styles of music.

I'm thankful that most monitors now do a suitable job of representing the sub bass, plus we have visual monitoring (like SPAN) to see what's going on.  Having subwoofers on my systems, it's obvious when some engineer didn't realize what was going on down there and ignored it (or rolled off everything below 60 Hz).  (And to be honest, the first album I mixed had too much bass because my monitoring system didn't have enough.  That was 22 years ago, and I've learned a few things since then, and improved my monitoring setup.)