Freeze a region?

Hi, I'm trying to freeze a section of a soft synth track but it freezes from the beginning of the session. (which is long)

Is it possible to freeze a section/region, or do you have to freeze the entire timeline?

Thanks

JG

I think I get what you're saying . . . I believe the freeze feature will always freeze the entire track, with the intention to unload the soft synth and free up some CPU / Latency. Maybe you just want to convert some sections to audio, to mess with them further ? Not sure what you're trying to do. If you want to freeze just a section / region, you will have to get creative and probably duplicate the track, make separate clips, mute some clips, and freeze the duplicated track sections. 

• Like 1

On 1/3/2024 at 1:12 AM, noynekker said:

I believe the freeze feature will always freeze the entire track, with the intention to unload the soft synth and free up some CPU / Latency.

I think that's accurate.   But it sounds like you just want to bounce a section, not freeze the entire track?

You can bounce a section/region of a soft synth, but that requires a split instrument track so that you can record the soft synth's audio track while playing back that section (in real time).  Or, you can route a single instrument to an Aux track, then record the Aux track while playing back that section. 

3 hours ago, SteveC said:

I think that's accurate.   But it sounds like you just want to bounce a section, not freeze the entire track?

You can bounce a section/region of a soft synth, but that requires a split instrument track so that you can record the soft synth's audio track while playing back that section (in real time).  Or, you can route a single instrument to an Aux track, then record the Aux track while playing back that section. 

There is no need to have a split instrument track - just select the region on the track (or tracks), and "Bounce to Track(s)":

BounceRegion.gif

• Like 2

1 hour ago, msmcleod said:

There is no need to have a split instrument track - just select the region on the track (or tracks), and "Bounce to Track(s)":

BounceRegion.gif

Mark, your video examples are GREAT! One suggestion - maybe post them at half speed - I find myself having to rewind/replay several times to take in all the great info they provide  :^)

4 hours ago, Sal Sorice said:

Mark, your video examples are GREAT! One suggestion - maybe post them at half speed - I find myself having to rewind/replay several times to take in all the great info they provide  :^)

In the Track View, locate the Tracks Tab next to the Options tab and select BOUNCE TO TRACK 

You can also set this up as a shortcut in preferences. 

23 hours ago, msmcleod said:

True if you want to bounce to a different track, but the OP's question implied he wants to render a section of audio "in-situ" in which case you need to split the instrument track to make the synth audio side of it available as a target for the bounce. And assuming you don't want track Volume/Pan "baked in" to the rendered audio, you have to record the synth in real time to capture the raw output, and then mute the rendered part of the MIDI so it doesn't get doubled on playback.