Taming Windows 11 For DAWs

sjoens

I have a lot of issues running CbB on a Lenovo Legion Windows 11 laptop.  I try to adjust settings but Windows likes to reset some them no matter what I do.

Wifi is one.  I try to uncheck the Automatically connect feature, the "other" networks will re-check the box right after I uncheck them.  My own network will remain unchecked but always reconnects anyway when I boot up.

Upon bootup, only 8.5 GB of mem out of 16 are free.

airplane mode is your friend. it will eliminate the wired network, wifi, and bluetooth connections which are often the main instigators of interrupts causing glitches.

i'm currently running an HP Voctus laptop w/ W11 home, and honestly, i had pulled out all by "DAW strip-it " scripts to do what i have done in the past, but i ran a bunch of projects that normally would have problems, and nada. they just worked. so i just shutoff some the spyware type "services" and set my A/V exclusions, and most times don't even bother with the airplane mode except if i'm using some plugins which seem to be hogs and thereby are impacted by the networking.

• Like 1

It has been a while since I have touched a Lenovo laptop, but IIRC there is a proprietary software on them (at least for Win10) that overrides the Windows controls. Yours probably has something similar, so see what options are available in that before delving too deep into Windows specifically. But Glenn is spot on about airplane mode... the other is to keep the laptop plugged in and disable all sleep/hibernate functions when plugged in (I believe that was also in their app, especially battery-saving stuff).

Win 11 is basically spyware, but on Win 10 you have the hibernate mode hiberfli.sys file that uses memory in the background, estimate between 40 to 75 percent of RAM (I couldn't believe it either) even if it is turned off (sleep mode used) it still functions in the background using the same hibernate mode for "fast start" which still used more than half of memory,  I just adjusted mine in Win 10 and it's going like crap off a shovel. Maybe the same in Win 11, although I'm sure it would be more difficult to disable it.

in Windows 11, if you want to reduce the hibernate file and keep fast start, or simply delete it, running your cmd window as administrator:

reduce (e.g. 10% of memory)

C:\Windows\System32>powercfg hibernate size 10
        The hiberfile size has been set to: 3366346752 bytes.

delete:

C:\Windows\System32>powercfg -h off

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/9/2024 at 5:14 AM, hockeyjx said:

Home editions are nightmares IMO

Your statement prompts me to consider building a new machine  Why would you prefer to use Win 11 Pro instead of the Home version?

Do you have issues with Windows 11 Home with a desktop PC? I,

Questions, questions , questions.

Edited by Pragi

W11 Pro has a number of better configuration options including using policy settings and services etc. that said, i've been using W11 Home on a laptop now for about 6 months and once the A/V exceptions added, and a few services turned off, the performance has been excellent, and in few cases, i simply use airplane mode to shutoff networking if i find some project/plugins are sensitive to the network interrupts happening (very few) when i'm rendering.

• Thanks 1

I just built a new machine so I had to purchase the OS. W11 pro was only $12 more than W11 home if you buy it from PC World I think I paid $80 Can.  
It takes a little bit of getting used to the small differences but after a week that was sorted out. 
Laptops are generally a bad idea for a main DAW. 
But the best fix I know of is to pull the OME drive, put it on a shelf. Install a ( probably better) drive and install a clean copy of windows pro. Might as well be 11 because 10 is the same price.  

Most of the issues people have are not Windows but the bloatware that is often impossible to totally get rid of. This is why we always build our own. 
You can’t build a laptop from scratch but if you buy one with the best processor you can afford and toss the rest out and upgrade the usually crappy OME components you can save a lot of money and have a top notch laptop. 

Edited by John Vere
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Update:

1. Windows 10 crashed requiring a fresh format & install.

2. All win updates and apps installed.

3. After fixing a few small issues everything is behaving better than ever.  Only one small CbB crash (plugin?) and it didn't even fall into Background Processes like it always did before.

4. Only issue with the 2016 laptop is the battery (2nd one) no longer charges completely (holding @20%) and new OEMs aren't available.

So far looking like this will be the most stable DAW I've had... but testing is ongoing.  If I do go back to Win 11 it will be a fresh Pro install.