1st movement from Symphony #9

Jerry Gerber

5 hours ago, Jerry Gerber said:

I suggest listening to this when you're not tired or hungry, there's a lot going on.

Scored for 31 wind, brass and percussion instruments + 2 full string sections (Vienna Symphonic Cube)

Jerry

PLAY

Outstanding work, impressive, composition, performance, and production 

I'm as always very impressed by your composition skills. Very creative, great to listen to, many different and unexpected movements, nice!

Some instruments sound a bit too synthetic to my taste (mainly certain violin parts and sometimes other instruments depending on the note played). It should be possible to improve that (maybe using an additional orchestral library? Some libraries are better at certain phrases or sound better with specific instruments than others, libraries often can be complimentary. Or a midi expression controllers like TEControl USB MIDI Breath and Bite Controller 2, ROLI Seaboard Rise 2, Expressive E Osmose?)

Would be nice to hear it being performed by a real orchestra, the composition really deserves it! 

This is just outstanding Jerry.

I was looking at the score sheet (31 parts!) with all the different clefs for different instruments (12/8 time too) which is a whole other level from what I'm used to. Do you keep notes on  articulations you've used? Velocities, modulation wheel settings, CCs, other MIDI stuff? Makes me wonder if writing a MIDI orchestral piece is way harder than writing for a traditional orchestra.

_Bjorn

1 hour ago, bjornpdx said:

This is just outstanding Jerry.

I was looking at the score sheet (31 parts!) with all the different clefs for different instruments (12/8 time too) which is a whole other level from what I'm used to. Do you keep notes on  articulations you've used? Velocities, modulation wheel settings, CCs, other MIDI stuff? Makes me wonder if writing a MIDI orchestral piece is way harder than writing for a traditional orchestra.

_Bjorn

Thanks Bjorn! I've never used CW articulations.  I spend most of my editing time in the event list, the controllers view and the tempo window.  I use an awful lot of velocity changes, attack and release changes and numerous cc's to change articulations in the VSL orchestral cube, the library I use.  Also a lot of tempo changes and I also use volume envelopes when I render the MIDI file to audio.  I agree that writing for live players is much easier, particularly when you have excellent players, because they can make (sometimes) even a crappy composition sound good.

I've long said that MIDI makes a lot possible, but not necessarily easy or simple.