You never forget your first...

Rain

3 hours ago, smallstonefan said:

Mine too Craig! First concert also in 1977. 🤘

My first concert was a Blue Oyster Cult show (before "Don't Fear The Reaper"). New Yrk Dolls was the second act. Kiss was the opening act. They were touring for their first album. They had a better show than the Dolls had. Rocked a lot harder too. I went to the concert not knowing who any act was, except Kiss. Saw them on the Midnight Hour show on TV. So when I saw an advertisement in the newspaper.... (showing my age here for sure!!)

They rocked the house down. No doubt about it.

But when BOC came on, there was no doubt why they were the headliners. I had never seen someone rip on a guitar like Buck did. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Grem said:

My first concert was a Blue Oyster Cult show (before "Don't Fear The Reaper"). New Yrk Dolls was the second act. Kiss was the opening act. They were touring for their first album. They had a better show than the Dolls had. Rocked a lot harder too. I went to the concert not knowing who any act was, except Kiss. Saw them on the Midnight Hour show on TV. So when I saw an advertisement in the newspaper.... (showing my age here for sure!!)

They rocked the house down. No doubt about it.

But when BOC came on, there was no doubt why they were the headliners. I had never seen someone rip on a guitar like Buck did. 

Cool guy in person too!

8 hours ago, smallstonefan said:

Mine too Craig! First concert also in 1977. 🤘

As odd as it may seem, I never got to see KISS until 2014, after we moved in Vegas.

Creatures of the Night is the album that made me a fan, although by the time I heard it, they'd just taken the make up off. My interest was moving towards heavier music and KISS was moving in an entirely different direction. I still loved the old stuff and some of the newer material, but I didn't care to see them.

By the time of the reunion tour, my interest had completely waned. But for some reason, around the time we moved to Vegas in 2012, I really got into their music again. And this city has remained synonymous with KISS for me ever since. I knew I was home down here when I discovered the old KISS Mini Golf in the winter of 2013-14. I even smiled for the occasion!

ScreenShot2023-11-23at3_06_07AM.thumb.png.c02d3ad4940d2ca193aa8489af769ac2.png

Then there was KISS Night and all - most of the people and musicians I'm friends with here are massive KISS fans. It's strange to think how many things seem to hinge on KISS and their music - the opportunities I was given, the people I've met, the direction my life took...

The music I write and record is world away from theirs, but they remain a tremendous source of inspiration. 

I wish I could have seen them in the early days, between 74 and 77. But I am happy to at least have experienced some of the magic. For a few hours, I was a kid again, jumping and singing along like an idiot. For the rest, there's KISSology.

• Like 3

I didn't understand it back then, but I was constantly on the search for a much harder rock sound.  This was why almost all of the bands that I listened to featured humbucker guitars.  I didn't get into any of the most popular bands and artists that use single-coils until much later.  The upshot though, was I didn't have to wait years for a "next album" to come out so that was awesome!

Rock and Roll Over was definitely harder rock than anything I had heard prior (which was mostly Beach Boys and Elton John type stuff, heck, the bulk of my collection back then was Classical!).  The next big game changer was when Van Halen's first album came out.  Then the bands that use Rectifiers.  I remember when I had the chance to use a Marshall full-stack for the first time ("rented" from Guitar Center for that one, big gig we did when we opened for Blue Oyster Cult back in January of 1984!).  I would just keep hitting an Am chord over and over while standing in front of the stack.  Orgasmic!  😁

Unlike most of the people I knew, I rarely when to concerts when I was young.  Sure, I missed out on the "experiences" but I could also afford to buy all the albums so my friends would always be over to listen over and over.  As I got older, I loved to go out and see local bands play live, but I was never a fan of the big arena-type shows.

• Like 1