Tone2 - Icarus 1.6 free w/ Computer Music Magazine Issue #329 (Out now!)

Kirean

What the title says: Tone2's Icarus 1.6 synth comes free with the January 2024 issue of Computer Music magazine.

Supposedly the magazine should be out on the 29th of November.

Edit: Icarus 3.0 will release 'soon'. From what I gather, upgrade price will be around 69-89 USD

Edited by Kirean
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 7

An old version. IIRC v2 has been out a few years now. I thought it seemed a bit to good to be true when someone posted before about this as an upcoming freebie, but still worth having when no exchanging of beer tokens is required . I quite liked the Tone 2 synths I've had on demo, but never enough to want to pay what they usually ask for them.

• Kirean changed the title to Tone2 - Icarus 1.6 free w/ Computer Music Magazine Issue #329 (Out now!)
15 hours ago, Kirean said:

Magazine is out. No serial provided for Icarus, only a direct download. Not sure if there's any upgrade path yet.

Upgrade link (66.35 US$ + tax) https://order.mycommerce.com/cart/add?vendorid=200028120&PRODUCT[300973239]=1

This link is from https://www.tone2.com/icarus-update.html and the text says "Upgrade to Icarus v3.x or v2.5", so it looks like the upcoming version is included in the upgrade

48 minutes ago, Eusebio Rufian-Zilbermann said:

Upgrade link (66.35 US$ + tax) https://order.mycommerce.com/cart/add?vendorid=200028120&PRODUCT[300973239]=1

This link is from https://www.tone2.com/icarus-update.html and the text says "Upgrade to Icarus v3.x or v2.5", so it looks like the upcoming version is included in the upgrade

Was ten bucks cheaper yesterday. I wonder how it works since I the CM version seems to come with a generic licence that you don't even register anywhere.

Then there's also the question "Do I even need to upgrade?" that I've yet to figure out.

(Most likely I won't, since I got those U-He synths to play around with first.)

3 hours ago, Mark B said:

There seems to be 2 different upgrade links one seems cheaper than other

Maybe magazine subscribers get cheaper deal I'll check later as an subscribed to Computer Muisc

It seems that the cheaper link only upgrades to version 2. The more expensive link upgrades to 2 or 3.

2 minutes ago, Doug Rintoul said:

It seems that the cheaper link only upgrades to version 2. The more expensive link upgrades to 2 or 3.

It's nice that everything is so clearly laid out that there's no room for intepretation...

...oh wait!

6 minutes ago, Kirean said:

It's nice that everything is so clearly laid out that there's no room for intepretation...

...oh wait!

This is what I see when I click on the first link:

image.thumb.png.fbe3b73536545f39875d11fc6a441fe4.png

No mentions of version 3.

This is what I see when I follow through on the second link and add the upgrade to my cart:

image.thumb.png.e91fda3388c2ad5313a3789aede3aff7.png

Definite mention of Icarus3.

Edited by Doug Rintoul

4 hours ago, Mark B said:

There seems to be 2 different upgrade links one seems cheaper than other

Maybe magazine subscribers get cheaper deal I'll check later as an subscribed to Computer Muisc

The magazine just says

image.png.300457ce0445ee5cc875d7fdec0b262f.png

Which is what I did, and then I found the links I posted above.

Yes, it is confusing that the link for "Upgrade to Icarus v3.x or v2.5" adds a product to the cart that does not mention v3, and there is a different link that adds a more expensive one that does mention v3 explicitly

I'm in the same boat as Kirean - "Do I even need to upgrade?". At these prices I don't think I do

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Eusebio Rufian-Zilbermann said:

Yes, it is confusing that the link for "Upgrade to Icarus v3.x or v2.5" adds a product to the cart that does not mention v3

I can't find this link on the site. All the links I have found bring me to the more expensive option. I wonder of the link you found is an old link that should have been changed to the new link. I think I would be hesistent to use the cheaper link since there is no mention of v3 in the cart.

9 hours ago, Doug Rintoul said:

I can't find this link on the site. All the links I have found bring me to the more expensive option. I wonder of the link you found is an old link that should have been changed to the new link. I think I would be hesistent to use the cheaper link since there is no mention of v3 in the cart.

The link is not difficult to find, just go to https://www.tone2.com/icarus-update.html, search the page for "upgrade to icarus v3.x" and click it.

Is it an old link that should have been changed to the new link? Is it that they were thinking about a grace period and then it will change? I don't know. Sure, this kind of confusion causes hesitation, kills my impulse buy, and makes me take a harder look at the price

Edited by Eusebio Rufian-Zilbermann

6 hours ago, Eusebio Rufian-Zilbermann said:

The link is not difficult to find, just go to https://www.tone2.com/icarus-update.html, search the page for "upgrade to icarus v3.x" and click it.

Is it an old link that should have been changed to the new link? Is it that they were thinking about a grace period and then it will change? I don't know. Sure, this kind of confusion causes hesitation, kills my impulse buy, and makes me take a harder look at the price

They must have fixed the link because it now goes to the 2 or 3 upgrade.

Edited by Doug Rintoul