Are all Cakewalk shortcuts documented?

Sven

I have to ask this because many times I've searched the available shortcuts looking for something I use often only to find it's not available as a shortcut.  I'm sure different users have different preferences but one that I keep wishing for is a shortcut to turn on and off velocity in PRV.    I generally don't want to see velocity information because it hogs the screen from the MIDI note information I usually care about but I wish I could toggle it on and off quickly when desired.

Are there any shortcuts not documented or is there some clever way to create new ones like by using a macro?

Thanks.

Would this help?   (I haven't tried it, but maybe it would meet your needs.)

image.png.25488ee2eb9c50cb4aa7f41c29847c5d.pngimage.png.c1856ac85e19da97dd748ff7dc462fbf.png

The image on the right is from Preferences > Customization > Keyboard Shortcuts. That's the place I use to look for default shortcuts and to assign my own.

Edited by User 905133

Note: I got it to work.  I assigned it to the U key. 

I had an issue at first.  I think it's because I have custom workspaces and I might needed to change the keybindings and resave my workspace.  So to test initially, I used the None Workspace.  Then I will double check tested my theory to see if I needed to resave my custom workspace.**

**UPDATE: Confirmed! I first needed to resave my custom workspace with the new keyboard shortcut binding.  

Edited by User 905133
updated and edited to reflect update info

Thanks User 905133.  Your answers were very helpful.

I've now got a default of 'show velocity for highlighted notes only'.  I've set up Alt-V to toggle show velocity for all notes.  I usually only want to see velocity for highlighted sections but I can quickly see everything if I want.  Or click where there are no notes and see no velocities.   Perfect.

Thanks!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sven said:

Thanks User 905133.  Your answers were very helpful.

I've now got a default of 'show velocity for highlighted notes only'.  I've set up Alt-V to toggle show velocity for all notes.  I usually only want to see velocity for highlighted sections but I can quickly see everything if I want.  Or click where there are no notes and see no velocities.   Perfect.

Thanks!

Another thought?

Using the show selected option, then opening the controller view (alt-c) inside the PRV would show all velocities?

I'm not the expert on shortcuts but I've gotten into the habit of always exporting my latest bindings and saving the current shortcuts as my current  workspace.  If I use another workspace I don't expect to see the current shortcuts and will then import them and re-save that workspace.  

• Great Idea 1

On 11/27/2023 at 3:53 PM, John Vere said:

Odd you mentioned having to re save a workspace to make custom shortcuts stick. I’ve never had that happen??  But you got me thinking. I’m just rebuilding and I just set up about 10 custom shortcuts. I haven’t created any workspaces yet. I’m just on advanced. 

By default, specific keybindings can be loaded from Workspaces. 

Because of this, for any Workspaces I use, I configure those Workspaces not to load their specific keybindings.

Under “Manage Workspaces”, you can configure individual Workspaces not to load keyboard shortcuts.

I prefer keybindings to be global.

You have to be careful when loading Workspaces.  If you load a Workspace that has been configured to load their specific shortcuts, these will overwrite your global keybindings.  I made that mistake once and had to restore just my keybindings from a registry backup I make of my keybindings.  When ever I change a keybinding, I also export my keybindings to a KBN file for Justin.

• Like 4

I don't think the shortcut exists but I have to ask.  I like to work quickly using as many keyboard shortcuts as possible without touching the mouse.  I use Ctrl-PgUp and Ctrl-PgDn constantly to move back and forth.  

Is there any keyboard shortcut available to move 'just a tad' either direction?   The shortcuts I mentioned above move too far for many of the situations I'm in.  I'll usually use one of them then use play and Ctrl-Spacebar to get to where I really want to work.

Thanks.

4 hours ago, Sven said:

Is there any keyboard shortcut available to move 'just a tad' either direction?

I have Shift+Right/Left Arrow bound to Fast Forward/Rewind for quick moves of less or more than a measure that don't require precision. If I need to get to a specific note/transient, I use Tab/Shift Tab from there. In the past I've used this old CAL-based workaround to 'nudge' the Now cursor by specific small increments; see posts #18 and #23 in the following thread:

http://forum.cakewalk.com/quotnudgingquot-the-quotcursorquot-now-time-m1339533.aspx

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Sven said:

I don't think the shortcut exists but I have to ask.  I like to work quickly using as many keyboard shortcuts as possible without touching the mouse.  I use Ctrl-PgUp and Ctrl-PgDn constantly to move back and forth.  

Is there any keyboard shortcut available to move 'just a tad' either direction?   The shortcuts I mentioned above move too far for many of the situations I'm in.  I'll usually use one of them then use play and Ctrl-Spacebar to get to where I really want to work.

Thanks.

I assume you mean shortcuts for the "nudge" function.  They are on the numeric keypad.

Pg 1889 of the Cakewalk Reference Guide lists numerous pages where Keyboard Shortcuts can be found,

The shortcuts are sorted according to the various windows opened by menu commands.

There is also a comprehensive section that explains how to create keybindings of your own choosing.

A link to the reference guide can be found in a thread near the top of this page.

Is there a shortcut to add an Audio track  just below where the current track is highlighted in track view?  Or another way to do it?  It always seems to be thrown at the bottom of all the other tracks and I have to move it up to where I really want it.