Western Digital BLACK SN850X NVMe M.2 2280 4TB

cclarry

8 minutes ago, cclarry said:

The Red and Blue are the lower line...the Black has a 5 year warranty

I wonder if I mistaken BLUE for BLACK.. either way, they have been found in my articles across the internet to cripple drives to only last 3 years... I thought I was pretty sure it was RED and BLACK, but maybe it was RED and BLUE... they was talking about the Enterprise versions.

If you are speaking about this article (or many like it), it's related to NAS drives in a Synology NAS Case, and it's a warning. There still seems to be discussion about if it is WD or Synology issue, but in any case, not an ideal situation. The drive is not crippled, just a warning (not defending WD,  just clarifying)

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2023/06/clearly-predatory-western-digital-sparks-panic-anger-for-age-shaming-hdds/

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, El Diablo said:

I wouldn't buy Western Digital RED or BLACK series as they have been known to cripple the drives to only last 3 years in the chips on the drives!

Not sure how they do that.   I know both them an Seagate have been sued before.  I buy WD almost exclusively since their RMA is hassle free.

Their HDDs are great. I still have Blue and Black drives that I now use with a drive dock.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, kitekrazy said:

Not sure how they do that.   I know both them an Seagate have been sued before.  I buy WD almost exclusively since their RMA is hassle free.

Their HDDs are great. I still have Blue and Black drives that I now use with a drive dock.  

Great price. If this were a true  single-sided model (with no additional bump on the second side) , and you guys weren’t scaring me with this other stuff, I’d grab it in a minute for my Lenovo laptop. Unfortunately there are reports out there that you really have to jam it in to single sided slots.

Edited by LAGinz
  • Like 1