GForce Imposcar 2 free with upcoming issue of Computer Music Magazine

audioschmaudio

22 hours ago, MusicMan said:

Full version but only VST2... This is likely a giveaway as a teaser for the no doubt very soon to be released new / VST3 version.

In many cases there are issues with VST3, often VST2 is still more stable! Recently I have posted an issue with PSP InfiniStrip VST3 and CbB upstairs.

13 minutes ago, Sistine said:

In many cases there are issues with VST3, often VST2 is still more stable! Recently I have posted an issue with PSP InfiniStrip VST3 and CbB upstairs.

I have heard some cases of that, although I'm not sure I'd say it's many cases. I've personally not had a single one and never had to revert back to VST2 for anything . I wonder if it might be more DAW specific, or certain DAWs. I use Cubase the most and that seems fine with VST3. Some 3rd party plugins are buggy.. but their VST2 versions were too!

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, MusicMan said:

I have heard some cases of that, although I'm not sure I'd say it's many cases. I've personally not had a single one and never had to revert back to VST2 for anything . I wonder if it might be more DAW specific, or certain DAWs. I use Cubase the most and that seems fine with VST3. Some 3rd party plugins are buggy.. but their VST2 versions were too!

Great, that you are spared of such issues! 😊 I can imagine that Cubase is stable in that area, Reaper too AFAIK!

I don't deny that it maybe/is DAW related (my case seems to be an issue of CbB)! All I wanted was to remark that the "development" for VST3 is still not completed, including DAWs! Therefore IMO it is ridiculous that Steinberg forces VST3!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sistine said:

Great, that you are spared of such issues! 😊 I can imagine that Cubase is stable in that area, Reaper too AFAIK!

I don't deny that it maybe/is DAW related (my case seems to be an issue of CbB)! All I wanted was to remark that the "development" for VST3 is still not completed, including DAWs! Therefore IMO it is ridiculous that Steinberg forces VST3!

Haha.. I still get enough frustrations out of some of my plugins so I'm not completely left out there 🤣

I personally don't agree with Steinberg's choice either, but I guess they had to draw a line in the sand somewhere and people just weren't moving fast enough. If they supported it for another 10 years I'd guarantee some of the same developers that haven't already upgraded to VST3 even by now, would still want an extension..

To put that in perspective... VST3 was released in 2008... so developers can hardly say it's snuck up on them!

Ableton Live was surprising.. they only started supporting it around 2019 from memory.. 

All that said, there are some VST2 plugins and instruments that I will definitely miss... yes, I do know I can load them in wrappers and hosts, but I do prefer native

Edited by MusicMan
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Sistine said:

While I've experienced this, I'm not fully convinced this is a problem with the format itself (pointing instead to developers not doing it properly) as there are far too many VST3s that do work just fine.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Brian Walton said:

While I've experienced this, I'm not fully convinced this is a problem with the format itself (pointing instead to developers not doing it properly) as there are far too many VST3s that do work just fine.  

I never claimed that it's the fault of the format itself. Though I can imagine that it's parly caused by an insufficient format specification by Steinberg, 'cos that many developers had issues with VST3 until today! I worked as developer for decades and I have seen multiple times that specifications lacked some information (they liked to talk about black boxes that weren't really) and thus caused issues when developers had to collaborate (like DAW and plugin developers).

Basically my major concern is that people overrate VST3 requirement for plugins. For most plugins there is no advantage over the VST2 version, on the contrary the VST2 version is often more mature! But as you said, it's not 'cos the VST2 format is better. I think there is only more experience and know-how in VST2.

• 3 weeks later...
32 minutes ago, Brian Walton said:

Installed but likely won't get much use. UI is small and not resizable as far as I can tell.

impOSCar2 has three set UI sizes. When newly installed, it loads in the medium size.

To change it turn the EDIT knob over to the CC position. Look for the UI Size dropdown list to the left of the on-screen keyboard. Select a new size from the list. Restart impOSCar2 to view the changes.

I read somewhere that the large size is too big

Edited by Doug Steinschneider
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Great Idea 1