Spitfire Flash Sale - Save 40%

cclarry

I was thinking about picking up the Originals Firewood Piano, which is only $17.40  with the code. My only concern is that I've read (I don't know anytime that owns it) that it only has two dynamic layers and the transitions between them were not well done and because of that, it can make a good, smooth performances, with even minor dynamic changes, challenging. Does anyone here own it that can speak to that? 

I plan on using it for mellow singer/songwriter music along the lines of Damien Rice, Sufjian Stevens, etc. 

Edited by PavlovsCat

1 minute ago, PavlovsCat said:

I was thinking about picking up the Originals Firewood Piano, which is only $17.40  with the code. My only concern is that I've read (I don't know anytime that owns it) that it only has two dynamic layers and Spitfire the transitions between them were not well done and because of that it can make a good performance more challenging. Does anyone here own it that can speak to that? 

I plan on using it for mellow singer/songwriter music along the lines of Damien Rice, Sufjian Stevens, etc. 

It’s the Lumineers piano. Go!

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Fleer said:

It’s the Lumineers piano. Go!

Haha! Do you own it?  Even Lumineers songs would demand more than two layers; they tend to bang on the piano during choruses. That is kind of disappointing,  even at its low price point. 

Edited by PavlovsCat

59 minutes ago, PavlovsCat said:

Haha! Do you own it?  Even Lumineers songs would demand more than two layers; they tend to bang on the piano during choruses. That is kind of disappointing,  even at its low price point. 

True. Didn’t jump myself yet. But I’ve got sooooooooooo many pianos. 

13 hours ago, Fleer said:

True. Didn’t jump myself yet. But I’ve got sooooooooooo many pianos. 

I have a ton too.  I just found this review on the Firewood Piano from Music Tech, and sure enough, they find that there is an issue switching between velocity layers and also conclude that Spitfire really should have included more velocity layers. Even for cheap, it makes me hesitant to buy it, and I do like the sound of the demos, but having dynamics issues is a bit problematic. I'm not doing cinematic pieces where I only need the piano to be soft throughout an entire composition, I want a piano that allows for the different dynamics that I'm going to have in a song; for example, I might want to shift from a really mellow verse to a very lively chorus. Even for $17.40, it's still money wasted if I end up realizing I like the piano but the dynamics stop it from being the right tool, which I suspect will be the case. Anyhow, I wanted to put that out there in case anyone has it and could share their experience and perspective.  

https://musictech.com/reviews/software-instruments/spitfire-audio-firewood-piano-review/

Edited by PavlovsCat
  • Like 1

UPDATE; Okay, I bought the Firewood Piano even after knowing it really deserved to have more velocity layers. Don't judge me! You're just as bad, maybe even worse! ;)

Anyhow, after playing it  the very first time, I fell in love with it. I still wish they made a version with more velocity layers, but I think it sounds beautiful in its own way. While I have dozens of deep-sampled pianos, I don't have another piano sample library that sounds quite like this one.

If you're looking for a character piano and the sound of the demos resonates with you (pun may or may not be intentional -- I'll never tell) and can live with the fact that this one isn't well suited for very dynamic playing, I think for $17.40 USD, it's a bargain considering how much I enjoy its sound,  which is that of a quirky, not sophisticated,  upright with a lot of character. Although I'm not sure if the sale is still on.  In any event, I know I'll use it and just playing it solo is very satisfying and inspiring. 

Edited by PavlovsCat
  • Like 1

@Miro KI don't get why anyone would give my above post a thumbs-down, which according to a past post by Abacab damages a forum member's reputation  score.

I was merely kidding about you're just as bad, writing that to my fellow forum members because we're all so addicted to buying sample libraries and plugins. Did you misunderstand that? 

I only wanted to share that I bought the library and how much I enjoy it, as I thought there are other forum members who may be considering it who would find my experience useful. Why the thumbs down? 

Edited by PavlovsCat

8 hours ago, Miro K said:

Simple. I waited until the last moment for you to write that you were going to do it. And you did before the end of the event. And I was left without the possibility to buy it

Okay.  I didn't have a chance to download it and try it until today.  But why damage someone's reputation score when they're only posting to be helpful to other people? I'll bet you that next month you'll be able to buy that library for 50% off instead of 40%, during their Black Friday sale (I figured that but was too impatient to wait to save 3 bucks). They usually run 50% off sales. Anyhow, I was only trying to be helpful, why penalize me for it? 

Edited by PavlovsCat

3 minutes ago, Miro K said:

I didn't mean to harm anyone. I'm sorry

Hey, it's fine if you didn’t realize it was a negative thing.  Please don't leave the forum! Stick around!  I was just trying to understand why you gave the thumbs down and you explained that. It's not a big deal. I'd just be grateful if you removed the thumbs down and stayed part of this forum. 

Edited by PavlovsCat

4 hours ago, Miro K said:

I say, I won't comment, but I won't leave. It's a useful forum for me, full of pleasant and inspiring people. I'm sorry once again

No please keep commenting, stay involved. You seem like a really nice person and this is no big deal. I think most people don't realize that the thumbs down can impact your reputation score. So please,  do keep commenting in the forum.  I've seen your posts and I think you add value to this community. It would be a real shame for you to not post anymore. 

Edited by PavlovsCat
  • Like 1

On 10/12/2023 at 1:54 PM, PavlovsCat said:

I was thinking about picking up the Originals Firewood Piano, which is only $17.40  with the code. My only concern is that I've read (I don't know anytime that owns it) that it only has two dynamic layers and the transitions between them were not well done and because of that, it can make a good, smooth performances, with even minor dynamic changes, challenging. Does anyone here own it that can speak to that? 

I figured you would’ve gone for their “ghosted” series darkstar haunted house. Hahah sorry maybe too soon 😂 

https://www.spitfireaudio.com/darkstar-haunted-house

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, kevin H said:

I figured you would’ve gone for their “ghosted” series darkstar haunted house. Hahah sorry maybe too soon 😂 

https://www.spitfireaudio.com/darkstar-haunted-house

I thought that was very funny,  but there's probably someone who will completely misunderstand all of it. Ah, the dangerous nature of having a sense of humor. 

Edited by PavlovsCat
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, PavlovsCat said:

UPDATE; Okay, I bought the Firewood Piano even after knowing it really deserved to have more velocity layers. Don't judge me! You're just as bad, maybe even worse! ;)

Anyhow, after playing it  the very first time, I fell in love with it. I still wish they made a version with more velocity layers, but I think it sounds beautiful in its own way. While I have dozens of deep-sampled pianos, I don't have another piano sample library that sounds quite like this one.

If you're looking for a character piano and the sound of the demos resonates with you (pun may or may not be intentional -- I'll never tell) and can live with the fact that this one isn't well suited for very dynamic playing, I think for $17.40 USD, it's a bargain considering how much I enjoy its sound,  which is that of a quirky, not sophisticated,  upright with a lot of character. Although I'm not sure if the sale is still on.  In any event, I know I'll use it and just playing it solo is very satisfying and inspiring. 

How many people in the street gonna say, "Nice piano. Too bad it lacks velocity layers."  A live musician lacks velocity layers.  A   flute in it's low end and extreme range lack velocity layers.