UA LA2a Free! Today!

Keni

6 minutes ago, El Diablo said:

Why do I need that when I've got HorNet HA2A?

All of these emulations sound a bit different.  I also have HA2A as well as some others - including grabbing this UA one.  

Given UA is in a different tax bracket than Hornet, you might want to grab it while free even if you don't install it.

Hornet has the best no-authorization needed system around - but they also tend to have more bugs than could call into question the reliability at some point.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Brian Walton said:

All of these emulations sound a bit different.  I also have HA2A as well as some others - including grabbing this UA one.  

Given UA is in a different tax bracket than Hornet, you might want to grab it while free even if you don't install it.

Hornet has the best no-authorization needed system around - but they also tend to have more bugs than could call into question the reliability at some point.  

Do they sound different?

1 minute ago, El Diablo said:

I'm just being blunt.  But no, I wasn't tackful in my approach, sorry :P

Not to worry. I understand, but I’m hoping you do too!

We all love free but it’s not necessarily for everyone.

I have a few myself and they are all slightly different but overall, I’m finding the versions of devices made by the company that manufactures the hardware seem "best" to my ear...

1 minute ago, Keni said:

Not to worry. I understand, but I’m hoping you do too!

We all love free but it’s not necessarily for everyone.

I have a few myself and they are all slightly different but overall, I’m finding the versions of devices made by the company that manufactures the hardware seem "best" to my ear...

There's a comedy stream I listen to "Phone Losers of America" where they call up ads to people selling stuff and tell them they don't want it.  LoL.  Kind of this same concept, except you didn't take it as a joke.

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Keni said:

So? What’s the difference? Between them?

The LA-2A is a collection of LA-2A, which are three plugins. 

The LA-2A Collection – Three Different Flavors

The Teletronix LA-2A Classic Leveler Collection includes units from three different LA-2A eras — Gray, Silver, and the original LA-2. Here's a simple breakdown.

The UREI-built Silver LA-2A is generally appreciated for its faster time constant and its treatment of transients. This makes it a versatile performer that's suitable for the widest variety of applications — including drums, percussion, and bass guitar.

The Gray model, paying homage to Jim Lawrence's original mid-‘60s Pasadena-built units, is typically used for material requiring a medium-speed compression — think lead and background vocals, keyboards, and (judiciously) acoustic and electric guitars.

The LA-2 model captures the mojo of one of the very earliest Teletronix units, offering the slowest response time and a distinctive "mellow" sound owing to its 50-year-old luminescent panel. It may be best used on legato vocals, strings, and horns. But you know the old maxim, “If it sounds good, it is good!”

The free one is the Universal Audio LA-2A tube compressor

• Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, jesse g said:

The Teletronix LA-2A Classic Leveler Collection includes units from three different LA-2A eras — Gray, Silver, and the original LA-2. Here's a simple breakdown.

The UREI-built Silver LA-2A is generally appreciated for its faster time constant and its treatment of transients. This makes it a versatile performer that's suitable for the widest variety of applications — including drums, percussion, and bass guitar.

The Gray model, paying homage to Jim Lawrence's original mid-‘60s Pasadena-built units, is typically used for material requiring a medium-speed compression — think lead and background vocals, keyboards, and (judiciously) acoustic and electric guitars.

The LA-2 model captures the mojo of one of the very earliest Teletronix units, offering the slowest response time and a distinctive "mellow" sound owing to its 50-year-old luminescent panel. It may be best used on legato vocals, strings, and horns. But you know the old maxim, “If it sounds good, it is good!”

Thanks Jesse!

I was hoping that was all that was meant. I would have been surprised if they actually created a new version to give away for free!

I knew the collection had all three models. I was fortunate through much of my career with always having at least one or two Teletronic LA2a's when there was only the once version! 😉

I also have the UA 1176 collection which is the FET compressor I always reach for first! Magic in the hardware and replicated in these softwars to an impressive point!

It’s a bummer that some people might not get to fully experience, or even spend the time fully appreciating my songs because they can tell either one track (or the mix) was compressed with a gray model la2a, and not a silver model. Or the other way around. I guess that’s the production world though. Gotta catch em all

• Haha 2

11 minutes ago, jesse g said:

It’s a simplified version of the Silver one, without mix knob. 

• Like 1