Let this be heard, please bakers!

Will.

Seeing that this is the final release of CbB ever, can we please hold the final drop for another 30 days so that we can do more tests on the EA before the final product comes out permanently. This product still have some minor flaws to already great and very old working features. 

Heres what keep happen with editing daily within my workflow. 

Automation nodes: Nodes for some reason keep linking themselves as a group when moving one during editing. There are times when creating a new node, or when going back to a previous one earlier in the project to make changes - all of them get selected. So when you move the current one, others on the same track/clip move as well. 

I Beg!!! Can we please get a pitch envelope automation filter on the track, PLEASE! bakers. If placing one on tracks will be too much work and hold back production, can we then get one for the pitch button in the Loop Construction? 

Let us use this time to properly and thoroughly test the last EA for stability and bugs before releasing the FINAL product ever of CbB. Pretty sure there will be many users and new beginners using this version - 10 years from now. I dont believe Windows 11 will change anytime soon. So far OS10 is better than OS11 according to gamers and other companies in this department out there. 

Edited by Will.
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, Will. said:

Automation nodes: Nodes for some reason keep linking themselves as a group when moving one during editing. There are times when creating a new node, or when going back to a previous one earlier in the project to make changes - all of them get selected. So when you move the current one, others on the same track/clip move as well. 

The nodes must have been selected somehow for them to move as a group.  The most likely cause is that you're unintentionally invoking a gesture that is causing them to be selected, or it could be a combination of config options that make this more likely. Can you post a video demonstrating this behaviour?  Hopefully it'll be easy enough to narrow it down.

5 minutes ago, msmcleod said:

The nodes must have been selected somehow for them to move as a group.  The most likely cause is that you're unintentionally invoking a gesture that is causing them to be selected, or it could be a combination of config options that make this more likely. Can you post a video demonstrating this behaviour?  Hopefully it'll be easy enough to narrow it down.

I will definitely make a video. It happens randomly. Almost as if a constant focus are locked in on the previous node that was tweaked. Give me a day or two, it always happen in my projects. 

As for my configuration settings, mine is pretty much the on default settings. 

2 hours ago, Will. said:

...  Let us use this time to properly and thoroughly test the last EA for stability and bugs before releasing the FINAL product ever of CbB. Pretty sure there will be many users and new beginners using this version - 10 years from now...

pretty sure it's been stated by Bandlab folks that once the new products are established, the CbB authorization process will shutdown and the CbB product will no longer be operational after the authorization expires on your system.

Edited by Glenn Stanton

4 minutes ago, Glenn Stanton said:

pretty sure it's been stated by Bandlab folks that once the new products are established, the CbB authorization process will shutdown and the CbB product will no longer be operational after the authorization expires on your system.

All previous versions yes. Not the new release. This last release will run on the  same servers as Cakewalk Sonar and Next will run on. It was the reason why this EA was only release this month. 

Let me get this straight for myself. The last version of free CbB will still operate as usual and will be authorized every so often from here on out. It will no longer be available for download for new users from then on?

And most importantly,  if I purchase a new computer,  I will not be able to download and install CbB once Sonar and Next is released? 

Please 🙏,  Give me simple straight answers! I am grappling with having to leave CbB behind after all these years of using Cakewak, X version,  then Platinum! 

I, truly love Cake and am saddened at the possibility of ending my almost 30 year relationship with my favorite DAW.

I use other DAWs but I am a true Cakewalk fan.

Please, respond!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Sidney Earl Goodroe said:

Let me get this straight for myself. The last version of free CbB will still operate as usual and will be authorized every so often from here on out. It will no longer be available for download for new users from then on?

And most importantly,  if I purchase a new computer,  I will not be able to download and install CbB once Sonar and Next is released? 

Please 🙏,  Give me simple straight answers! I am grappling with having to leave CbB behind after all these years of using Cakewak, X version,  then Platinum! 

I, truly love Cake and am saddened at the possibility of ending my almost 30 year relationship with my favorite DAW.

I use other DAWs but I am a true Cakewalk fan.

Please, respond!

According to what i understand and have read, You will be able to download the full new release of CbB  from the website. CbB will still work and continue to require to get authorized as normal. No new update and developments will take place anymore. It will work on any system.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sidney Earl Goodroe said:

Thanks, Will.!! The family here at Cake would surely be missed!! You along with the rest here on this forum have been absolutely the best!

Hopefully,  the price of Sonar will be affordable and all this worrying will have been in vain!

Sidroe, make sure you get that confirmed from an 'Official' source  before you go off and make any plans in your mind. 👍

Just to be sure :)

Edited by heath row
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Sidney Earl Goodroe said:

Advice taken!

I read and understand the exact same info as Will.
The only real change for CbB users will be absolutely no more bug fixes or updates. So not really a big deal for the vast majority who still desire a free ride. 

In a way it will become sort of a free full featured demo to entice new users into the wonderful world of Cakewalk. The continued 6 month(?) activation will still be in place so they can track potential customers for Sonar and Next 

A good guess is as Windows updates screw things up CbB will slowly fade away. But I’ll be really old by then! 

What will definitely change will be the dynamics of this forum. Say the majority of longtime users switch over to Sonar or Next. Those sub forums will get the most attention. The CbBsub forum will have way less help from the long time members. It’s like when we had a Home Studio sub forum.  

• Like 1

I cant seem to recreate the issue with the nodes, but this is something that keeps happening. 

Another issue with CbB that always bothered me, was its instrument track per output inserts. When selecting the mono input for instrument tracks both L&R collapse to one channel as expected of course with the 3db increase.

This robs the user with some precious headroom on the insert with certain instruments dynamics getting squashed - it is something i have always noticed. Sometimes this is a pleasant effect, other times we do not need it. My workaround then would be to create my melody, and once im happy with it, I would split the channel format and delete the right channel and pan the Left channel back to center. Not only do i retain the original dynamics without the increase in volume - i also have a nice clean mono track. So, please bakers would it be possible for the Mono instrument insert to split the L&R channel and delete the Right one under the hood for an accurate mono channel when it is created. Let this control for inserts carry over into Next and Sonar too. 

Another plus would be to have this with the Audio tracks as well when we want to insert a mono audio track (which cant be done in CbB of course.)

Edited by Will.
Typing error.

17 minutes ago, Will. said:

Another plus would be to have this with the Audio tracks as well when we want to insert a mono audio track (which cant be done in CbB of course.)

I'm not following this? You go to Add track, Audio, you select the mono input like 1 of your interface,  and create a new audio track. It is most defiantly a mono track?  

28 minutes ago, Bass Guitar said:

I'm not following this? You go to Add track, Audio, you select the mono input like 1 of your interface,  and create a new audio track. It is most defiantly a mono track?  

You still get a stereo interleave. Which means if your switch it to mono, you get the 3db increase. 

to Will's point - if you set the track to stereo and record either a single side or both, you get a stereo interleave track. to Bass Guitar's point, if you set the track to mono and record a single side of the IO, you get a mono track. note: the meters will only show L+R (or more in surround), no mono meter... 

track 1 = mono track setting and L side of IO = mono track

track 2 = stereo track setting and stereo of IO (i only recorded a mic on L) = stereo track

track 3 = mono  track setting and stereo of IO (i only recorded a mic on L) = stereo track

(so in these examples since the R side is blank, it won't elevate the level when summed to mono, but in an actual stereo recording the summed result can be as high as +3db higher)

image.png.19d6909a2fb93baef59fbb1857b6a550.png

files (track 2 & 3 same size)

image.png.2d641177b8bbcf422f07059559fdf47d.png

Edited by Glenn Stanton

I see the point. So what Will is actually asking for is a second option for an audio track. A pure mono track that doesn't have a pan? this seems illogical to me. Every DAW I've ever used has a Pan and every mixing board has a pan.

And are you guys saying that if I record my Bass track at -10 db as a mono audio track and I export it as a mono stem it will be -7db? I've never noticed this happening.  

1 hour ago, Bass Guitar said:

I see the point. So what Will is actually asking for is a second option for an audio track. A pure mono track that doesn't have a pan? this seems illogical to me. Every DAW I've ever used has a Pan and every mixing board has a pan.

And are you guys saying that if I record my Bass track at -10 db as a mono audio track and I export it as a mono stem it will be -7db? I've never noticed this happening.  

When you split a stereo track it creates two mono tracks that are panned hard Left and the second track hard Right. To phrase this better, a stereo track are two mono tracks that is panned L&R on one single channel. But we are not talking about PAN SETTINGS HERE! 

What IM SAYING, as i have said above in my previous reply so clearly is - when you record audio the INTERLEAVE STAYS STEREO, but with MONO information on it.

Is this clear to you? Good! Stay with us, cause heres the problem coming my ears and eyes tells me. 

When you mix your mono recording on a stereo interleave, CbB handles this as a stereo track when you mix. With all your plugin inserts being converted to stereo. So, if you've forgotten to change the interleave to mono when the track was created, changing it to mono later in the project adds a 3db increase to the track and mix. Are you still with me? Good! 

Now, what i am suggesting is: When you click on the interleave to set it to mono (for both audio and instrument tracks) it should than split the track into L&R and delete the right channel instead of bouncing the two channels together which creates a 3db. Are you following?