Last Night's Gig: With Pie!

bitflipper

We've been gigging a lot this summer, pretty much nonstop since May. So naturally some gigs have been miserable and some pure joy. Varied venues, indoors and outdoors, big and tiny crowds, nice-sounding rooms and echo chambers.

Half of them were with house PAs, half with our own gear. Of the former, perhaps 10% had both great gear and someone who knew how to use it. Last night was one of those. I hit it off with the FoH guy right away, being a fellow audio nerd and recording enthusiast. A few weeks ago we played a festival and I really dug the band that came on before us, who did girl-group songs from the 50's and 60's. I thought they'd be a great double-feature with a 60's and 70's band like us, and wondered how to reach out to them. While talking to Dan, the FoH guy,  I described that band and he said "yeh, that's my mom". Kismet.

The venue was a farm, but more like Knott's Berry Farm than Old Macdonald's, with kiddie rides and a brewery. We played in the brewery. It has roll-up garage doors, which were open because it was a warm evening and most of the audience was outside on a large patio. There were lots of little kids, dancing and grinning and thoroughly enjoying music older than their grandparents. I'd rather play for 5-year-olds than drunken geezers, even if the latter tip better.

The staff treated us well, comping beer and food. And at the end of the night, directed us to the freezer section of the adjacent store to pick out pies to take home with us. Of all the perks I've ever received at gigs, getting a pie was the best.  

• Like 7

On 9/2/2023 at 9:26 AM, bitflipper said:

Of all the perks I've ever received at gigs, getting a pie was the best.  

Our Pie's use only the finest ingredients !

49ggnX0.jpg

That is why they are so good  !

Kenny

Edited by kennywtelejazz
  • Like 1
  • Great Idea 1
  • Haha 1