[CLOSED] Cakewalk 2023.09 Early Access [Updated to Build 62]

Here is a screen shot of the error message I receive when trying to load any preset for either bx_cleansweep v2 (version 2.16.0) or bx_solo (version 1.16.0) 

Both are 64 bit VST3 plugins, and both worked in version 28.11.0.021

In saved projects all previous instances come up missing. In both new and saved projects, I can load a new instance and it works fine, but preset files cannot be loaded. 

Does anyone else have either of these plugins? If so, can you try inserting an instance and then try to load a preset.

Does it work or do you get the Invalid filename error? 

Invalid Filename.jpg

Edited by Chris Deveroux
  • Sad 1

15 hours ago, Milton Sica said:

Have you tried using the plugin loading approach variables to check if there is a problem with this operation ?

This only happened to me on the first load of a project the first time I ran that version.

Afterwards, the projects were loaded again in the same acceptable time.

Unfortunately I don't understand what you mean.

If it is to hold the shift and load a project then it loads straight away in safe mode. 

However with the plugins it takes nearly 10 minutes to load a project. It is taking long time after opening the plugins, I can see the names show up, but when in the preparing project it takes a very long time to finalize it...

Edited by Michal Mikulski
Word missing

On 9/11/2023 at 8:40 AM, Noel Borthwick said:

@sreams no changes in this area and it's working fine here. There are two things to check.

1. Only waveforms for unique clip wave files are rendered in parallel. i.e. if you have 100 clips that all come from the same wave file then they will only display when the full wave file has been rendered. IOW parallel rendering is per file not per clip.

2. Parallel rendering is controlled by the aud.ini variable "EnablePicCacheThreads" not the multiprocessing setting. Check if somehow that variable got set to 0.

Try importing a bunch of wave files into a new project and then select all and choose "recompute waveforms" from the clip properties. They should render in parallel.

Thanks Noel. The aud.ini entry is set to 1. Importing and recomputing works fine.

The time I saw it only doing one waveform at a time, I had just used AudioSnap to time correct about 8 tracks of drums. After Bouncing to Clips, the resulting waveform redraw happened one track at a time. I'll try and see if I can reproduce it.

Edited by sreams

13 hours ago, Chris Deveroux said:

Am I correct in assuming you mean within the Cakewalk plug-in manager? If so, that was the first thing I tried.

If not, could you explain what you mean by re-register. 

No, not rescanning in Cakewalk! I mean press the "key button" in the right lower corner of the plugin and re-activate the license of the plugin. This behaviour seems to have started with build 55, BUT I have also made some updates via the PA Plugin Manager prior to this, so that could be the cause!??

However, I got the same error message as you so it may be the same problem, and in my case that went away after I re-activated the plugin. Strangely enough not all PA plugins needed re-activation...

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Prog Nut said:

No, not rescanning in Cakewalk! I mean press the "key button" in the right lower corner of the plugin and re-activate the license of the plugin. This behaviour seems to have started with build 55, BUT I have also made some updates via the PA Plugin Manager prior to this, so that could be the cause!??

However, I got the same error message as you so it may be the same problem, and in my case that went away after I re-activated the plugin. Strangely enough not all PA plugins needed re-activation...

Thanks for the explanation. Tried that earlier as well with no success. 

For me at-least I've been able to verify that all my other PA plug-ins work, except the two mentioned.

Not sure what is different with those 2 but something broke compatibility within Cakewalk for me after the first early access release. 

6 hours ago, Chris Deveroux said:

Thanks for the explanation. Tried that earlier as well with no success. 

For me at-least I've been able to verify that all my other PA plug-ins work, except the two mentioned.

Not sure what is different with those 2 but something broke compatibility within Cakewalk for me after the first early access release. 

That was unfortunate. I re-registrated via the "I'm online" button, and the plugin worked again after that. And yes, it was after the first EA release (055) the errors began to show up on projects with certain PA plugins (not all!). The Plugin Alliance installations was already updated to the aug 15, 2023 versions a week earlier, so it probably was the Cakewalk EA that  caused the errors!? As of now this is only a minor and easily correctable annoyance, and no big deal, and hopefully it will stay that way...

12 minutes ago, Prog Nut said:

That was unfortunate. I re-registrated via the "I'm online" button, and the plugin worked again after that. And yes, it was after the first EA release (055) the errors began to show up on projects with certain PA plugins (not all!). The Plugin Alliance installations was already updated to the aug 15, 2023 versions a week earlier, so it probably was the Cakewalk EA that  caused the errors!? As of now this is only a minor and easily correctable annoyance, and no big deal, and hopefully it will stay that way...

Agreed! Fortunately, this is occurring in finished projects so moving forward I can avoid using those two plug-ins until it's resolved. 

In the mean time I've also contacted Plugin Alliance/Izotope to see if they can offer any guidance, but have yet to hear back. 

17 hours ago, Chris Deveroux said:

Here is a screen shot of the error message I receive when trying to load any preset for either bx_cleansweep v2 (version 2.16.0) or bx_solo (version 1.16.0) 

Both are 64 bit VST3 plugins, and both worked in version 28.11.0.021

The errors says "Invalid Filename" and, if I'm interpreting the plugin header correctly, it appears the preset name has a colon in it "2: Acoustic 12th"...? That could definitely be a problem. But I would have expected the previous release to have the same issue.

The EA release notes do mention the following items, but I'm not familiar with this funcitonality so not sure of its relevance:

- VSTScan not properly removing compatibility entries when rescanning a plugin that has been updated

- Persist compatibility updates for VST

1 hour ago, David Baay said:

The errors says "Invalid Filename" and, if I'm interpreting the plugin header correctly, it appears the preset name has a colon in it "2: Acoustic 12th"...? That could definitely be a problem. But I would have expected the previous release to have the same issue.

The EA release notes do mention the following items, but I'm not familiar with this funcitonality so not sure of its relevance:

- VSTScan not properly removing compatibility entries when rescanning a plugin that has been updated

- Persist compatibility updates for VST

The header info "2: Acoustic 12th" that you are seeing actually refers to the track # and track id (i.e. Track 2 - Acoustic guitar 12th fret) and is not related to a particular preset. 

One interesting thing of note; The custom preset I had saved in the original, and now missing instance of bx_cleansweep V2 is gone.  But Cakewalk does still reference it within the drop down menu for the place holder.

Screen shot below:

Missing preset.jpg

Edited by Chris Deveroux

1 hour ago, Chris Deveroux said:

Update: I can also add that bx_meter and bx_stereomaker are two additional Plugin Alliance plugins that will no longer load presets correctly from within Cakewalk. Must have missed testing those the first time around as I don't use them often.  

Disable your Antivirus and try again to load the problem. 

24 minutes ago, Will. said:

Disable your Antivirus and try again to load the problem. 

No antivirus to disable.

This is an issue with Cakewalk and Plugin Alliance/Brainworx. Everything worked prior to the first early access release. The plugins are correctly authorized to my system and the preset files are stored locally on my C drive so antivirus shouldn't come into play.  

For anyone coming in late or following along here are the two issues. 

First - Previous instances of the plugins in projects saved in version 28.11.0.021 are now failing to load/missing.

Second - Reinserting a new instance of the plugin works, however local preset files cannot be loaded.

Here are the 4 plugins that are affected if anyone else would like to try to confirm on their system: bx_cleansweep V2, bx_solo, bx_meter and bx_stereomaker

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Chris Deveroux said:

No antivirus to disable.

This is an issue with Cakewalk and Plugin Alliance/Brainworx. Everything worked prior to the first early access release. 

I've had many plugins not showing on a project load due to an antivirus - especially with Microsoft Defender.

All good though, have a great day. 

2 hours ago, Chris Deveroux said:

No antivirus to disable.

This is an issue with Cakewalk and Plugin Alliance/Brainworx. Everything worked prior to the first early access release. The plugins are correctly authorized to my system and the preset files are stored locally on my C drive so antivirus shouldn't come into play.  

For anyone coming in late or following along here are the two issues. 

First - Previous instances of the plugins in projects saved in version 28.11.0.021 are now failing to load/missing.

Second - Reinserting a new instance of the plugin works, however local preset files cannot be loaded.

Here are the 4 plugins that are affected if anyone else would like to try to confirm on their system: bx_cleansweep V2, bx_solo, bx_meter and bx_stereomaker

I use the plug-in menu save sometimes, but I save to a folder with subs for different plugins/vendors. You will not loose presets this way! Nothing like after the fact suggestions. Sorry. Did you modify the preset very much?

1 hour ago, Max Arwood said:

I use the plug-in menu save sometimes, but I save to a folder with subs for different plugins/vendors. You will not loose presets this way! Nothing like after the fact suggestions. Sorry. Did you modify the preset very much?

Thats a great suggestion for the future. Honestly, I don't remember if it was a modified preset or a new one I created.

Fortunately, I finished this project a while back and had everything exported. But had I not opened an older project to test out the early access release I may have never come across this issue. 

• Morten Saether changed the title to [CLOSED] Cakewalk 2023.09 Early Access [Updated to Build 62]