Softube πŸ”‘ Unlock Spring Reverb, Celestion Speaker Shaper & Mutronics Mutator

cclarry

I like the Celestion Speaker Shaper, it's my go to speaker emulator. I favor a 1x12 greenback or creamback in an open back cab so I use it a lot. If you like celestions I'd check it out. Two thumbs up. It has a lot of creative potential, but I haven't explored that ...

• Thanks 1

I'm not sure its a necessary add to your guitar sim arsenal.Β  If I really knew the sound of the Celestion speakers and was trying to emulate that, it would be great.Β  But I don't.Β  I bought it for $39.Β  It's nice that it integrates with amp room, but I think the other Softube IRs sound really good already.

I'll tell you what I have found that it does really well.Β  I set the speaker diameter low to medium, 1x12 cabinet, whatever speakers, whatever amp set to medium dirty (not high-gain), a distortion pedal up front, eq out the lows/boost the highs at about 1k, and then a spring reverb (not Softube's, which to my ears sounds too springy for this application), and I get a very reasonable lofi 80s punk/hardcore sound.Β  Guitar volume at 50% for Minutemen; 75-90% gets Black Flag/Circle Jerks/Minor Threat, 100% get my absolute favorite - Iggy Pop Search and Destroy.

Β 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

6 hours ago, Steve K said:

I'm not sure its a necessary add to your guitar sim arsenal.Β  If I really knew the sound of the Celestion speakers and was trying to emulate that, it would be great.Β  But I don't.Β  I bought it for $39.Β  It's nice that it integrates with amp room, but I think the other Softube IRs sound really good already.

I'll tell you what I have found that it does really well.Β  I set the speaker diameter low to medium, 1x12 cabinet, whatever speakers, whatever amp set to medium dirty (not high-gain), a distortion pedal up front, eq out the lows/boost the highs at about 1k, and then a spring reverb (not Softube's, which to my ears sounds too springy for this application), and I get a very reasonable lofi 80s punk/hardcore sound.Β  Guitar volume at 50% for Minutemen; 75-90% gets Black Flag/Circle Jerks/Minor Threat, 100% get my absolute favorite - Iggy Pop Search and Destroy.

Β 

Cool. What do you use as an amp with it?

I’m mostly undecided as I’m wondering if it’d be a better idea to wait for Melda Mcab to go on sale. I might try them both out today if I get a chance. Then again, not buying them gives me another $40 towards yet another pedal :)

13 hours ago, MrFigg said:

Quite tempted by the speaker shaper.Β 

It's not bad, I've had it since release, IMO and to my way of thinking it's fairly limited, in speakers, I mean what you got is what you got, it's not as if you can add anything. I never use it.

The Spring Reverb is not bad, I get some use out of it, but I have better ones which get most of the use.

The Mutronics Mutator, now there's an interesting beast, goes very nicely on the Guitar Buss, or even an insert, depending. Once you get it settled in on the Guitar Buss it's very hard to evict himπŸ˜‰ Takes a bit to get a grasp, well for me anyway, but once you do it can be very nice. A bit of Mutatin' is good for the soul πŸ‘»

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, heath row said:

It's not bad, I've had it since release, IMO and to my way of thinking it's fairly limited, in speakers, I mean what you got is what you got, it's not as if you can add anything. I never use it.

The Spring Reverb is not bad, I get some use out of it, but I have better ones which get most of the use.

The Mutronics Mutator, now there's an interesting beast, goes very nicely on the Guitar Buss, or even an insert, depending. Once you get it settled in on the Guitar Buss it's very hard to evict himπŸ˜‰ Takes a bit to get a grasp, well for me anyway, but once you do it can be very nice. A bit of Mutatin' is good for the soul πŸ‘»

You do realize you’re costing me money right?

Celestion is tempting.Β 

My dumb question of the day.Β  Is this for using only within AmpRoom or with other products?

I already have speakers in AT5 I experiment with and by replacing with others in the collection. So if one were to use this, one would disable the cab in AT5 and add this as a plugin after AT5?

51 minutes ago, telecode 101 said:

Celestion is tempting.Β 

My dumb question of the day.Β  Is this for using only within AmpRoom or with other products?

I already have speakers in AT5 I experiment with and by replacing with others in the collection. So if one were to use this, one would disable the cab in AT5 and add this as a plugin after AT5?

You can use it outside of Amp Room, just like using any other vst, but you're stuck with the cabs/speakers that come with it, it's like proprietary stuff, even the cabs from the Marshall Suite aren't available in it, what you get is what you got. Very restricted.

and yes, that would be the method, but don't be surprised if you find it to be a backward step.

Edited by heath row

2 hours ago, MrFigg said:

Tried both Celestion and Mcab and realized I don't need or want either of them.

really tried to get one these to do something for a sound i was after. didn't happen, at least on the first dive into both. There's a bloated version direct from Celestion (Celestion SpeakerMix Pro) which i found to be a sluggish resource pig, never made it past the demo stage. thought (hoped) the ST version would be more useful.

back to real amps in real rooms.

Yeah Celestion SpeakerMix Pro is IMO an abortion. There is rumor of a new update to fix some of it's many bugs, however it hasn't materialized as yet.

If it ever gets here I'll update and check it out, must give it a fair chance, but I don't have high hopes, it's just taking up drive space. Even their standard cab IR's are nothing special IMO, I never use them or SpeakerMix Pro, it's just waiting my time, I have much better available.