[Solved] Cakewalk Continually Stuck in Memory!

Keni

I don't know what's going on with this.It has been occasional recently and today it's unceasing!

When I close Cakewalk, it's left in memory and I must close it using task manager. Previously, it was just very slow to completely close. Now it's not closing at all remaining in background services...

This is happening without even opening any projects. Simply opening Cakewalk.

Edited by Keni

2 hours ago, Colin Nicholls said:

Audio driver problem ?
Try updating or re-installing the audio driver and see if this recurs

Thanks for the thought, but... Ouch! Way too involved for my nerves right now. I’m using an unusual driver fir my interface.

But it's been running fine for months with no changes. My system is shut down right now, but I’m hoping to find things well on next bootup . It closed clean at last before I shut down.

just to note. I’m using a Presonus Audiobox 1818VSL  and a problem arose with win10 dealing with signed drivers, so important portions of the interface couldn’t work. Fortunately, they came up with a workaround and it requires applying a manual set of edits to accomplish. I’m not ready to open that can of worms at the moment.

Happens often here.  No single diagnosis yet.  Long shots but try these:

1.  If the Taskbar MIDI Activity Monitor looks frozen, uncheck it:
       Preferences > Customization > Display > Show MIDI Activity on Windows Taskbar

2. Check for ghost drivers (faded entries that report "Currently this hardware is not connected to the computer") and remove* them in: 
      Device Manager > Sound, video, and game controllers
      Device Manager > Universal Serial Bus controllers

*Only remove if they're not for known hardware that's currently disconnected, like an external harddrive.

4 hours ago, sjoens said:

Happens often here.  No single diagnosis yet.  Long shots but try these:

1.  If the Taskbar MIDI Activity Monitor looks frozen, uncheck it:
       Preferences > Customization > Display > Show MIDI Activity on Windows Taskbar

2. Check for ghost drivers (faded entries that report "Currently this hardware is not connected to the computer") and remove* them in: 
      Device Manager > Sound, video, and game controllers
      Device Manager > Universal Serial Bus controllers

*Only remove if they're not for known hardware that's currently disconnected, like an external harddrive.

Thanks.

I always have that midi monitor turned off (taskbar tray) and I’m not seeing any ghost drivers..

13 minutes ago, Jeremy Oakes said:

32 bit plugin or dodgy plugin not playing nice ?

That was my thought, but it was happening even After simply opening Cake with no project open. Just the empty program.

we'll see what it looks like today in a few hours

• Like 1

I can’t yet say it’s resolved but it's back to what has been "normal" here lately.

I've found my most important 32 bit hangover suffering with a registration that wouldn’t hold. So it often left a hidden window open awaiting attention. Running out of ideas I thought to open cake as administrator then applied the registration. Early experiments indicate it is now holding the registration and closing has been fine.

A little more time with a reboot or two and opening various projects containing this plugin.

One day I hope to be rich enough to own a paid copy of Komplete so I could load my favorite Will Lee Gigastudio Bass collection in a 64 bit app.

The stuff dreams are made of...

• Keni changed the title to [Solved] Cakewalk Continually Stuck in Memory!
8 hours ago, User 905133 said:

Now that you mention it, I remember having to kill the midi activity icon/process manually on occasions after SONAR/Cakewalk had closed. Not 100% sure but it might have been after a plug-in mishap.

Thanks, but I disable that monitor in my initial install. So it couldn’t be the problem here which as you read above, has been solved.

8 hours ago, Colin Nicholls said:

"It's always a plug-in, isn't it"
- Noel Borthwick

8 hours ago, User 905133 said:

Now that you mention it, I remember having to kill the midi activity icon/process manually on occasions after SONAR/Cakewalk had closed. Not 100% sure but it might have been after a plug-in mishap.

3 minutes ago, Keni said:

Thanks, but I disable that monitor in my initial install. So it couldn’t be the problem here which as you read above, has been solved.

Oh.  I wasn't offering a solution to a problem which you had already solved.  I was just remembering the several times when I had the problem after the comments above mine. As always (well almost always) any problem can have various causes and therefore solutions can vary.

Sorry about the confusion. 

2 minutes ago, User 905133 said:

Oh.  I wasn't offering a solution to a problem which you had already solved.  I was just remembering the several times when I had the problem after the comments above mine. As always (well almost always) any problem can have various causes and therefore solutions can vary.

Sorry about the confusion. 

Gotcha! No problem !