MADNESS (Revised)

freddy j

I had originally intended for this song to be an instrumental.  The goal being to try and improve my skills in using MIDI instruments.  However, after watching way too much and too many varieties of news shows, I had to add lyrics to vent my frustrations.  I know this song violates most of the standards for song writing -- e.g., the intro is too long, there is only one verse which is repeated, etc.  However, I was having too much fun to stop.

Given all of that, I would very much appreciate your comments, crit.'s, suggestions, etc. 

Thanks!

MADNESS

https://www.soundclick.com/artist/default.cfm?bandid=963481

Edited by freddy j
changes made to song

Madness!!! Cool groove and fun with bluesiness as usual. What did you use for the drums? I think the drum mix could be a spot for improvement here? The snare dominates, and it has a constant presence in the middle of the spectrum where the vocal is, a bit of masking is going on. And the drum fills have more than a bit of compression leading to crunchy artifacts.

If it's something like EZ Drums you might not add any further processing, as it becomes too much baking on an already baked cake. If that makes any sense.

Loved the groove and the sentiments - I like your laid back vocal style!

cheers,

-Tom

• freddy j changed the title to MADNESS (Revised)

NOTE  As per suggestions made above I have made some changes to the song.  I tend to use loops for drums.  Even though most have been digitized they seem to have bit more of that analogue feel that I appreciate.  I found the loop that I liked for the main portion of the track (Beta Monkey Nashville Brushes) but could not find fills that I liked.  I did, however, find some fills that sounded better (Yurt Rock Shawn Zorn).  The main concern with this was that the Nashville Brushes were recorded at 122 bpm and the Shawn Zorn were recorded at 120 bpm and they used different drum sets.  So -- I have spent the past few days in trying  to  get he two to match-up and fit better.  Also, I spent some time adjusting the EQ and volumes.  In fact, I spent time in EQing, panning, adjusting volumes, etc. on all tracks.  Hopefully this has made the instrument separation and other things better and not worse. 

Hi Jack.  Thanks for listening and for your suggestion RE: the drums.  Hopefully the changes made above will help!

Hi Bjorn.  I did play a VST  instrument for the organ.  It was the Native Instruments - Komplete Kontrol -Jazz Organ.  Thanks for listening and for your kind comments.  BTW, I really enjoyed your recent post.

Hi Nigel.  Thanks for listening and commenting.  I was going for a retro sound on the organ and used the Native Instruments - Komplete Kontrol -Jazz Organ.  Thanks again.

Hi Tom.  Thanks very much for listening and your comments and suggestions.  The note above explains (crudely) what I was doing with the drums.  It is not always easy to find good quality loops and there is so much variation in how they are recorded (even the same company).  Probably E Z Drums would be easier (once I learned the program).  Loops do have the advantage of a skilled drummer (usually) setting down a flowing drum pattern.  My concern is that given my skills I would end up programming something that sounds too stiff and automatic.  Oh well, perhaps I should get the EZ Drums and practice.

Thanks very much again for the suggestions!!

Hi Allan.  Good to hear from you.  Hmmm, there seems to be a consensus about the drums.  Maybe the tweaking that i mentioned in the Note above has helped.  I appreciate your taking the time to listen and thanks for your comments and suggestions!!