Sudden loss of audio device

After a Win 11 update Cakewalk does not recognize my RME UCX ll interface, yet I can hear youtube videos perfectly. I get the error code: There are no audio devices on your system, etc. It says to go to Preferences and choose a different driver model. The only Input Drive is the Realtek ASIO, which is actually uninstalled on my computer. The RME does not show up as an option. Strangely, it does appear as my midi device. I have restarted the computer and still have this problem. I tried to reinstall Cakewalk, as I remember we could always do this, but I don't see this option anymore and all I get is the software is up to date with version 2022.11 Build 021. I'd appreciate any help. I cannot work, as it stands.

Also, I would reinstall the RME interface but I am not sure I will lose all my TotalMix settings.

Michael

Glenn, happy days. Thank you. The redistributables didn't work but I was easily able to reinstall the RME drivers and that did the trick. I've been using the RME for 18 months and this has never happened before.

Do you experts somehow do away with the Realtek audio. You can't kill it. Should I figure how to kill it? Same goes with the NVIDIA Hi Def Audio that also keeps reappearing on system restart.

Some machines expose suppressing on-board audio in the BIOS.

Some users leave the RealTek enabled and use it for non-DAW audio. Some run all audio through the DAW audio interface.

RME handles multiple clients well so either method should be fine. 

For NVIDIA , on Win10 I opened up the old Windows Device Manager and disabled the driver. Does Win11 still have this? Do need to check periodically. Windows updates may revert the setting.

• Like 1

The NVIDIA audio does appear in Win 11 Device Manager in 2 places, Audio Inputs and Outputs, and Sound, video and game controllers. I uninstall it all the time and it always reappears in system restart. I guess I will just live with it. It doesn't seem to bother anything, its just annoying to my brain.

Disabling the audio driver prevents the hardware from being seen by the DAW and it will stay disabled until some Windows update decides to override the setting.

Removing drivers without removing the hardware that needs the drivers just makes work for the operating system.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Michael Richards said:

Also, I would reinstall the RME interface but I am not sure I will lose all my TotalMix settings.

RME TotalMix settings are up to you to save as a file (there are many options, so read the documentation), but in general, I have never had a driver update or reinstall delete the last saved TotalMix configuration. You may have to reset your driver configuration preferences -But again, saving the mix yourself is safest, and then if backed up properly you can have the settings even if you should have to reinstall the OS, etc.

18 hours ago, Michael Richards said:

As owner of RME interface my advice is to write in some place your totalmix setting. Then reinstall your RME souncard, and Totalmix will reinstall as well

I had that with RME Digiface USB on windows 11.

For me it was enough to forget opening a project in a different sample rate.

- you have no audio device in system

My setup

- syncing interface through ADAT input from a rack unit

- temporarily I changed to 44k for a project I ran so that worked

- and forgot to change back to 48k on that ADAT unit

- then trying to play back that 48k project I got the message "no audio device"

Check out these simple things.