Persistent MoFo eh?

It's a pretty decent go this time! I reported this stuff when it first started and some of it's been cleaned up but looks like they have the upper hand at the moment. :/ 

I'd pause registrations and put in some IP blocks ASAP if I was a mod...!

• Like 1
  • Great Idea 1

As I mentioned on another thread, I hopped on board as an Aus timezone janitor the other day to help catch a lot of this stuff... and wouldn't you know it, the one evening I was tied up...! 🙄

I want to give big props to the mod team though, I had a good look though the spam posts from the last few days and I thought what I cleaned up the other day was a heap (and it was), but wow... these guys deserve a medal. The flag/delete list was IMMENSE. There was stuff I never saw as a regular user and that's absolutely because of the hard work of the team. In fact, by the time I hopped on just then, 99% of it was cleaned up already - I still caught a couple of stragglers. (Actually there's still a couple at it now.. too bad for them ;) )

But definitely report anything you guys see, if we catch them early, we can disable them from posting and clean up early.

• Like 1

I hope that Invision (the forum software) has some built-in configurable tools to protect from attacks such as these, or that a plugin with such functionality can be added. If all these posts are made by bots, it’s impossible to beat them if they only can be removed manually after the fact. Bots won’t get tired, but janitors, Australian or otherwise, sooner or later will.

• Like 1

Yeah, Invision is pretty great software overall (I've been mod/admin on a few boards over the years using different software), but their mod stuff is a little limited compared to some others. There's always pros and cons. It's overall a great fit for this kind of purpose though, so I'd say that's the reason it was chosen.

The spam is definitely targeted towards times where they expect mods from the northern hemisphere to be less active, so it's definitely handy splitting people off into different timezones. I do agree that there should probably be some more pro-active stuff set up to counter this stuff, but I'm not sure how flexible Invision is for doing those kind of add-ons. For the moment, apart from the odd gap here and there or a particularly over the top attack like the other day, the team seem to be on top of it all, and hopefully the extra hands here can help out a bit.

... that said, those jerks won't let you have dinner in peace, will they? 🙄 Wow, we got a belting while I was eating just before. But at least it's not hours while people are sleeping or tied up with their lives (every mod on here is a volunteer of course, so they'll do what they can, when they can).

• 2 weeks later...

Every post that bot makes has special characters in the title, specifically "<<" and ">>" are used a lot. I am not sure how complex the filtering system is, but another thing is only Lars would be posting once per minute (or faster), so a temporary block on any account that does that would also catch this bot before it can flood.

Yep, just suggested that to the team earlier today myself. There's definitely some word filters set up already because some spam threads are pre-flagged and hidden, but there's definitely more that can be added. We can't do this as moderators though, it's all up to the admin.

• Like 1