Theme For An Imaginary Western (cover)

Citizen Regen

I've always liked Mountain's cover of this Jack Bruce/Peter Brown song. So, I decided why not have both? We added a piano in the styling of Jack's version on his "Songs For A Tailor " album.

The only cover The Who ever did was Summertime Blues so maybe this will be the only Citizen Regen cover.

Vocals, Acoustic and Electric Rhythm Guitars - Ken "Zargg" Nilsen
Organ, Nylon String Guitar Solos - Dave "Bitflipper" Townsend
Piano - Qoqol
Lead Guitar Solo - Kai Steines
Bass, Producer - Ed "Bapu" Kocol
Drums - Hugo Ribeiro

• Like 5

6 hours ago, Citizen Regen said:

The only cover The Who ever did was Summertime Blues

1 hour ago, jackson white said:

?? I'm a Man (1st lp), Heatwave (2nd lp) in addition to iconic live versions of Baby Don't Do It, Young Man Blues, Under My Thumb, Roadrunner, etc...  idk.

I heard Roger say that in utube vid as an introduction to the song. Thanks for the comment even if it wasn't about this cover 😉 

Edited by Bapu

Just now, craigb said:

So is this your first all AI created song? 🤣😜

Prompt:  "Write me a cover of the song Theme For An Imaginary Western done in the style of Citizen Regen.  Please tw@t the key into Am and remove the latency in the bass player."

😂

• Haha 3

On 7/4/2023 at 3:01 AM, daryl1968 said:

Never heard the original mate but sounds cool to me. 

Probably since it came out in  March 7, 1970 (on the album Mountain Climbing). The same album that Mississippi Queen was on. 

The Jack Bruce version was released on 29 August 1969 (UK) on Jack's Songs For a Tailor album. 

Anywhooo mate, thanks for the listen.

Edited by Bapu
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/7/2023 at 2:56 AM, Bajan Blue said:

I'm like Daryl, never heard the original, but I think this sounds really good - well played and mixed

Cool stuff guys

Nigel

Thanks @Bajan Blue (Nigel). I had a comment in another forum about the cymbals/hats/OH being too much or possibly compressed.

I'm left wondering if you hear this?

"You've got some great tracks there. But it almost seems like there might be a little too much cymbal and high hat going on there. I don't know how you recorded all this, but if you used overheads I'd look at using a high pass filter all the way up to where it affects the lows of the snare but not the detail. I usually put a low pass filter on there to keep the highs from getting too swishy as well. Finally, watch out for what any compression might do to expand the cymbals in the mix. Room mics can also be a culprit with excess cymbals especially if they're compressed. Find a sweet spot in there, pull your overheads back until they disappear, then blend them back out until you have cymbals but they're not in front. I think you'll end up with a lot more clarity in your mix overall and your tracks will be able to really shine. "

Edited by Bapu

This has some serious mojo. Won't pull any sales away from Taylor Swift, but could have a cult following. I agree the cymbals are a bit overpowering in the beginning, but I forgot about that as the song moved on. I don't know the original. The octave vocals give it some mystical feeling. This is good.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/8/2023 at 3:28 PM, Michael Richards said:

This has some serious mojo. Won't pull any sales away from Taylor Swift, but could have a cult following. I agree the cymbals are a bit overpowering in the beginning, but I forgot about that as the song moved on. I don't know the original. The octave vocals give it some mystical feeling. This is good.

@Michael Richards The mix has been updated in the OP (on Soundcloud).