Keyboard shortcuts very slow

jkoseattle

Question

When I need to edit keyboard shortcuts, CW is taking about 15 seconds to bring that panel up. Once it's up everything seems to work fine. Also, if I close the Preferences window while on the keyboard shortcuts page, then simply hitting P makes it wait 15 seconds, because it has remembered that was the last page I was on. If I don't go to Keyboard Shortcuts, then the Preferences window opens right up normally. What's going on?

8 answers to this question

There definitely is an issue with the keyboard shortcuts page in preferences. It seems like it's enumerating things each time, and in fact, if you close your preferences while you're still on that page, it'll take ages to open preferences again because it'll start this process again when it sees this page, so it's a good idea to switch to something else after editing your keyboard shortcuts before you OK out of your preferences.

I've reported this one in the past, so I'd say it's in the system somewhere.

EDIT: That said, 15 seconds is a bit much, it shouldn't be anywhere near that much. Considering you said you lost CTRL+S in another thread, this is sounding a little bit suspicious to me, like your KBN keyboard shortcut file has gotten corrupted somehow.

Edited by Lord Tim

On 6/24/2023 at 3:02 PM, Lord Tim said:

Considering you said you lost CTRL+S in another thread, this is sounding a little bit suspicious to me, like your KBN keyboard shortcut file has gotten corrupted somehow.

I wonder if the "save your keyboard binding in a file and delete all lines in the file which contain: Kx00530B, then load  that keyboard binding file" fix that the OP tried also fixed this issue.

On 6/24/2023 at 6:02 PM, Lord Tim said:

Considering you said you lost CTRL+S in another thread, this is sounding a little bit suspicious to me . . . .

5 hours ago, murat k. said:

It seems you have a faulty keyboard binding registry.
Just save your keyboard binding in a file and delete all lines in the file which contains: Kx00530B
Then load  that keyboard binding file.

There is a keyboard binding bug in the Cakewalk for years, I hope developers will fix it in the final CbBversion.

5 hours ago, jkoseattle said:

That fixed it! Wow, I wonder how long I've had that bug in there. Thank you so much!  [emphasis added]

I first experienced the same problem a couple of months ago.  I don't often go to the Keyboard Shortcuts page, and this was several months after I updated CbB to v. 2022.11.  If I'm moving down the list of pages in Preferences, all of the pages except Keyboard Shortcuts open within less than half a second, but Keyboard Shortcuts takes about six seconds to open.  Every function on the page seems to work okay; I can create new shortcuts, bind and unbind keys without any problem.  The interesting thing I observed is that once you have opened the Shortcuts page during a CbB session and return to it a second or third time it opens as quickly as the other pages. I don't have any idea of what the cause might be.  I did perform a disk defragment a few weeks ago, for routine disk maintenance, and that did seem to reduce the delay by a couple of seconds.