CbB for Linux

I am delighted to see the continuation of this incredible Daw, but I simply can not understand why it is not being made available on Linux.

Linux is no longer an underdog in music creation circles and is much much better than the current Windows offerings, which are absolutely terrible.

Windows is a complete mess, updates all the time, breaks all sorts of functionality, it is nothing short of a night mare.  My experience with windows of late has been due to my daughter becoming interested in music, she plays piano, sings and wanted me to help her set up her computer, she was always a mac user up until lately when she decided to use windows, this decision came about due to her macbook air M1 lasting no time, it just made it outside warranty and required a new logic board at half the price of the original, so she bought a Dell. Setting up and navigating around windows is a mess compared to how straight forward the mac was, and Linux is just as easy as the mac given all the flavours and layouts now available in Linux. She got herself an SSL12 usb interface, and pianoteq, both of which work in Linux, and are very easy to set up, the SSL does not even require drivers to be installed, I let my daughter install everything herself on her windows laptop so she would understand how it all comes together, it was not a straightforward task at all. I have left her to figure out how to disable the onboard microphone as every time we do as soon as we reboot it is back on again, it is also so sensitive / spy ware capable it can hear anyone speaking in any room in the house, it clips with us whispering it is so sensitive, no such trouble on Linux, Linux is more than ready for music production, and is also what a lot of users that are into free software use, those users were also looking forward to seeing Cakewalk on Linux, I for one would pay for it, we have Reaper, it would be so so good to have Cakewalk Daw available on Linux. Lots of people are ditching apple, if you do not know, look how apple have downgraded the M2 chip in comparison to the M1, says it all, they do not give a dam about their customers, its all about the money,  google it, apple used to provide a solid product, those days are no more, so if people jump to intel based computers, and discover the mess windows is, their next step will be Linux, and no Cakewalk available is an absolute marketing disaster, apple and windows are pushing people over to Linux because of the crap hardware one produces and the crap OS the other pushes, you could not dream this up, I think when the people behind this great Daw look back they will see it too, the lost revenue this mistake will cost will go down in history, its the perfect time for Cakewalk to support Linux, believe it or not.

It is amazing that I can now give a Linux laptop to a young girl, and look on as she can navigate and use it to create music with half the effort and none of the hassle she has had with mac and windows, I hope the people behind Cakewalk get themselves a laptop with Linux and have a go, using Reaper,  it will be the best thing you ever did for Cakewalk and the growing home and pro recording industry, seriously, try it.  Again, I would buy Cakewalk if it were available for Linux, as it is Reaper is the king on Linux, its priced well, and it just works, why not Cakewalk, I have tried Ardour, its not for me, it could also end in the morning, not enough invested in it and no real long term plans as I see it, unlike Cakewalk, which is a true survivor.

Anyway, I hope I have not upset anyone, this is just my experience, and that of my daughter who is not new to computers but new to music recording, even she sees it, I am not a poster, I actually only signed up here and this is my first post, and all because I see the potential for Cakewalk on Linux as a game changer and can not believe the marketing people behind Cakewalk can not, truly mind numbing.

Kind regards to all, I shall live in hope that one day Cakewalk will be available on Linux.

• Like 2
  • Meh 2

17 minutes ago, Whinbush said:

Anyway, I hope I have not upset anyone, this is just my experience, and that of my daughter who is not new to computers but new to music recording, even she sees it, I am not a poster, I actually only signed up here and this is my first post, and all because I see the potential for Cakewalk on Linux as a game changer and can no believe the marketing people behind Cakewalk can not, truly mind numbing. [emphasis added]

There are many places in the forum where Linux is discussed.  I am not sure why you posted your "request" under the "Announcing the Cakewalk by BandLab Early Access Program" topic.

Edited by User 905133
To add a PS
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, User 905133 said:

No, Linux is going to get stronger and more popular, no delusion,  windows is pure petri dish material, just look a few posts up, someone can't even activate Cakewalk on windows. I was shocked to find out so many of the people I thought used windows had changed to Linux a long time ago, but definitely not surprised, I just use what works.

Edited by Whinbush
  • Like 1
  • Meh 2

5 minutes ago, Whinbush said:

No, Linux is going to get stronger and more popular, no delusion,  windows is pure petri dish material, just look a few posts up, someone can't even activate Cakewalk on windows. I was shocked to find out so many of the people I thought used windows had changed to lLnux a long time ago, but definitely not surptised, I just use what works.

Home >  General > News & Announcements > Announcing the Cakewalk by BandLab Early Access Program

If you insist on being a fierce advocate for Linux, at least search the forum for discussions of Linux or another possibly relevant place to post your advocacy. For example, you could have chosen to put in a simple request in the Feedback section.

Its like you didn't even search the forum for an appropriate place to post your rant.

Edited by User 905133
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Whinbush said:

No, Linux is going to get stronger and more popular, no delusion,  windows is pure petri dish material, just look a few posts up, someone can't even activate Cakewalk on windows.

Okay, you’ve made your point. Feel free to create a new thread if you want to preach the Linux gospel, but please don’t derail this one. It’s not about Linux.

• Great Idea 2

4 minutes ago, User 905133 said:

Home >  General > News & Announcements > Announcing the Cakewalk by BandLab Early Access Program

Yes, I was hoping for early access on Linux, still can not understand why the management here do not see what is going on regarding crapple hardware and windows petri dish OS, people are jumping off those platforms, simple as that.

Edited by Whinbush
  • Meh 2

1 minute ago, Canopus said:

Okay, you’ve made your point. Feel free to create a new thread if you want to preach the Linux gospel, but please don’t derail this one. It’s not about Linux.

This is the most relevant place to ask why Linux is not being supported, its the news thread. Am not preaching at all, just surprised Cakewalk developers can not see the market they are missing out on. I even said I would buy Cakewal if it were available on Linux, so I like the product, not putting it down in any shape or form.

• Meh 1

21 minutes ago, User 905133 said:

There are many places in the forum where Linux is discussed.  I am not sure why you posted your "request" under the "Announcing the Cakewalk by BandLab Early Access Program" topic.

I thought posting it here would result in those charged with the news thread seeing it and sharing my views / experience with the people who make the decisions. But as it seems to be upsetting people, I will not comment any further, no point in flogging a dead horse.

• Meh 1

cakewalk/sonar/cbb are so hooked into the windows platform any other (linux and so macos) would require a complete rewrite of the codebase, which will never happen, please refer to the unsuccessful "mac" version from a few years back

/fwiw/goodluck

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, pwalpwal said:

cakewalk/sonar/cbb are so hooked into the windows platform any other (linux and so macos) would require a complete rewrite of the codebase, which will never happen, please refer to the unsuccessful "mac" version from a few years back

/fwiw/goodluck

But I thought this due out version was a complete rewrite of the old code, if so then they have the people capable of doing it. Reading around I can see they are stuck in the windows domain, they will learn eventually.

• Meh 2

1 minute ago, Whinbush said:

But I thought this due out version was a complete rewrite of the old code, if so then they have the people capable of doing it. Reading around I can see they are stuck in the windows domain, they will learn eventually

a rewrite would take a decade haha, maybe you're think of the new thing (not sonar) which is cross-platform

2 hours ago, Whinbush said:

windows is pure petri dish material, just look a few posts up, someone can't even activate Cakewalk on windows.

That's their own fault for not RTFM, not Microsoft's. Boy, if they can't follow the instructions on Windows, how the hell do you think they're gonna make out on Linux?

Windows is a complete mess, updates all the time, breaks all sorts of functionality, it is nothing short of a night mare.

Bovine Excrement. Apple is the one who breaks functionality; Windows is traditionally very good at backwards/ forwards compatibility.  Updates are good. Updates do things like fix bugs and patch security flaws.

No, Linux is going to get stronger and more popular, no delusion... I was shocked to find out so many of the people I thought used windows had changed to Linux a long time ago, but definitely not surprised, I just use what works.

Hell yeah! Linux is almost up to 3% of the market share!

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Byron Dickens said:

That's their own fault for not RTFM, not Microsoft's. Boy, if they can't follow the instructions on Windows, how the hell do you think they're gonna make out on Linux?

Bovine Excrement. Apple is the one who breaks functionality; Windows is traditionally very good at backwards/ forwards compatibility.  Updates are good. Updates do things like fix bugs and patch security flaws.

Hell yeah! Linux is almost up to 3% of the market share!

Well apple and windows will soon send people to Linux, windows stopped being productive a long time ago, and following instructions is not an issue, Linux these days is a click click straightforward process, a lot has changed.

Edited by Whinbush
  • Meh 2