"Cakewalk activarion must be refreshed"?

Phoenix Guitardis

Question

I got this message when starting Cakewalk today, on a rather menacing red background. At the same time starting Cakewalk appears to have refreshed it. But what the...?  I bought a lifetime subscription (when it was still Sonar) and now Bandlab is free anyway, either way, what's with this message? Since when is activation temporary, and why?

11 answers to this question

Cakewalk by Bandlab activation must be refreshed at least every six months.  Developers have indicated that is so Bandlab has an idea for how many people use the program.  While Cakewalk by Bandlab is free to download and use Bandlab likes to know how many people use the product.

When a computer is connected to the internet and Cakewalk is opened the program checks for updates and will automatically refresh the program activation as needed.

Activation is also performed as part of the update process.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Jim Fogle said:

Which just reminds me they better get that update out there pretty soon or a million people will get the above message for the first time in a long while. 

• Like 1

Cakewalk by Bandlab activation must be refreshed at least every six months.  Developers have indicated that is so Bandlab has an idea for how many people use the program.  While Cakewalk by Bandlab is free to download and use Bandlab likes to know how many people use the product.

When a computer is connected to the internet and Cakewalk is opened the program checks for updates and will automatically refresh the program activation as needed.

Choice. If necessary, an option for people to pay and use the software offline would be nice. It's a sh!t day when internet is not available and all the projects are CBB versions.

• Confused 1

On 5/14/2023 at 11:34 PM, John Vere said:

Which just reminds me they better get that update out there pretty soon or a million people will get the above message for the first time in a long while. 

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing.....

4 hours ago, sadicus said:

Choice. If necessary, an option for people to pay and use the software offline would be nice. It's a sh!t day when internet is not available and all the projects are CBB versions.

I disable my computer’s nic whenever I use CbB, does it not work for you offline?

9 hours ago, sadicus said:

I don’t think you understand the way Cakewalk works now. There’s no need for the internet but twice a year to re activate it. I’m off line mostly. it’s free ! End of story. They have no desire to charge money.  This has been made very clear over and over. 

There’s no such thing as a CbB version.??  They are the same CWP  files they have always been and they can be still opened on Sonar.  

Older version of Sonar definitely do not need the internet. Ever. I’d hate to go back to X3 but I would do that before I’d bother switching to another DAW. I still have my W7 DAW fully loaded with Sonar Platinum. I think I could keep that computer going for a long time yet. “Keep it in a cool dry place”  

And besides, I have an almost mint condition Yamaha MD 8 track with midi sync and a room full of hardware. All I need is some Solar Panels. 

Edited by John Vere
  • Like 1

CbB is free to purchase however there is a license to which you agreed when you downloaded and installed it on your computer. 
That together with numerous updates clearly outline your obligations to maintain that license. 
Activation is a very small “price” for the considerable value contained in Cakewalk and the considerable cost to the company to not only maintain the software but its ongoing development. 
Just because there’s been no recent release doesn’t mean the developers aren’t still working on the next version and being paid for that work. We know that’s the case because we’ve been told that’s the case. With their track record to date, there’s no need to doubt it.