Flickering peaks - no input

Jim Hurley

Question

6 answers to this question

I'm rusty on my MIDI spec information, but I seem to recall that some devices continually transmit a brief message (active sensing, maybe?) even when idle. Someone else can probably clarify this,  but that might be what you're seeing.

I've never seen just the top lights (A) flashing. Normally the meters also show activity.

I once reported on a bizarre instance where all the meters were bouncing up & down when the transport was stopped. It was a project glitch that hasn't happened since. 

On 5/6/2023 at 5:31 AM, henkejs said:

......but I seem to recall that some devices continually transmit a brief message (active sensing, maybe?) even when idle. Someone else can probably clarify this,  but that might be what you're seeing.

I temporarily configured my PCR-800 to transmit MIDI Clock (F8), and this did not result in the MIDI activity indicator lighting up.  Only pressing keys or moving sliders on the PCR-800 did.

For the OP, it looks like a faulty slider or knob on their MIDI Controller.

Either use MIDI-OX, or you could record to a MIDI track and see what events are being transmitted by your controller.  Then open up your MIDI controller software to see which knob or slider is configured to transmit those events.