Using Davinci Resolve Fairlight as a DAW

dubdisciple

*I placed under "Deals" because there is a free version*

The Fairlight aspect of Davinci is powerful. I own paid version for video work( worth the upgrade), but rarely use audio part beyond the basics because of workflow.  I do get asked about free DAW alternatives. I usually recommend Cakewalk for Windows users, but I know Mac and Linux users too. Every now and then Fairlight gets mentioned  and I am hesitant to recommend despite some great features ( the vocal isolation is impressive being one example)

Have any of you actually attempted to use Fairlight as a DAW?  I can already say that some of the best features are not in free version but third party plugins make up for that.  I'm sure I would like it a lot better if I had the $5000 dollar control unit🤣

Edited by dubdisciple
Title alteration

45 minutes ago, Bruno de Souza Lino said:

REAPER, Waveform and Bitwig all have native Linux versions. Fairlight is more made for audio post production for video. It doesn't do MIDI for starters, you can't create empty channels, the way you edit audio stuff in there is cumbersome.

I was looking at products that are free.  I agree it is clunky. That is why I asked if anyone actually tried. MIDI production is not happening.  For mixing straight audio though, I'm weighing any pros.  Like I said, I own it but have neve dived deeply enough into it.

So far free cross platform options are limited.

I agree with the above sentiment, and the situation is similar to trying to complete video work within a DAW. If you are working with a master track (or very close to it), the editing capabilities are sufficient; but when you get into the needs of composition (multi-track recording, comping, VSTi support, MIDI, sends, etc.) the limitations of video software becomes more apparent. They tend to want you to work with pre-existing final audio tracks in the same way that DAWs want for video tracks.

• Like 1

On 4/29/2023 at 11:36 PM, dubdisciple said:

I thought Luna required UAD purchase?

Can I use LUNA without an Apollo connection?

Yes! LUNA v1.4 and newer features Core Audio mode, which lets you use LUNA on-the-go with any Core Audio device for I/O, even when your Apollo isn't connected. Note that although you can use LUNA without an Apollo connection, a Thunderbolt-equipped Apollo registration is still needed to obtain and use LUNA