Using Davinci Resolve Fairlight as a DAW

dubdisciple

2 hours ago, satyabrata satapathy said:

Can I use LUNA without an Apollo connection?

Yes! LUNA v1.4 and newer features Core Audio mode, which lets you use LUNA on-the-go with any Core Audio device for I/O, even when your Apollo isn't connected. Note that although you can use LUNA without an Apollo connection, a Thunderbolt-equipped Apollo registration is still needed to obtain and use LUNA

That sounds like you still need to have a register a purchased  apollo device or am I reading wrong?

17 hours ago, Bruno de Souza Lino said:

The best option to adding music to a video is editing it first, then rendering a proxy and using the DAW of your choice to add audio to it. Hopefully that DAW has video support.

It depends on the project I think. When I edit my studio jams, the music is the centerpiece. So I make shure that is optimal. Render it out and then put it under my video in Davinci Resolve. There I do my video editing so I can match it somewhat to the music.

If it was the other way around (video as the centerpiece) I think I would go the route of rendering out the video and using my DAW to match the music to the video. But that also depends of course. I did an unboxing short recently and I just made a generic upbeat tune which I put under the video in Resolve.

• Like 1

When I first started working professionally in a studio I got a job at a facility that was using an already archaic Fairlight system. I think it was called MFX-3 or something. I was working with voice and dub for everything from documentaries to Pokemon. I absolutely hated the system and the name Fairlight still gives me a bit of a bad taste in my mouth. At the time, the MFX was 15 years old and we mixed through the Yamaha 02r, another hate object of mine. We mixed manually of course, no automation was set up - or it just didn’t work. I never found out. After a year there I quit and found work at a place using Nuendo. I never missed the Fairlight or 02r.

Good times

However, it is pretty cool to see they still develop the Fairlight system and I got to say, it looks pretty cool, especially if audio to video is your thing. Why get this over something else, I have no idea but If I get the chance some day, I will give it a spin and see how it feels. 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Nick Blanc said:

If it was the other way around (video as the centerpiece) I think I would go the route of rendering out the video and using my DAW to match the music to the video. But that also depends of course. I did an unboxing short recently and I just made a generic upbeat tune which I put under the video in Resolve.

The only time I did both was in a video I'll probably never release. It was both edited and the song composed in REAPER. Editing video in REAPER falls into the same category as using Fairlight as a DAW. You can do it, but you're driving a nail into the wall using a scewdriver.

• Haha 3