A ukulele thing.

Lee Neitzel

Here is one that I've started working on. I bought a ukulele on a beach trip recently and came up with this idea. Waiting on my drummer and bassist friends to upload their parts, so it's currently a drum loop and a boring bass synth working as placeholders for now. The intro xylophone thing is also a placeholder for a potential lap steel part a friend is working on. But, the meat is here. It's a bit of a departure from what I'm used to doing, but I'm awkwardly kind of proud of it.

• Like 4

This is fabulous! Really cool vibe with the uke, catchy melody, all around great tune! Your performance and production are outstanding also. The meat is definitely there, look forward to hearing it in the completed form! I want to go to the beach now, lol… 🏝️😎👍🎶🎶🎶

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Ross Smithe said:

This is fabulous! Really cool vibe with the uke, catchy melody, all around great tune! Your performance and production are outstanding also. The meat is definitely there, look forward to hearing it in the completed form! I want to go to the beach now, lol… 🏝️😎👍🎶🎶🎶

To me, this is the best time of year to be at the beach. Cooler weather and no crowds. Young me might have liked the crowds and 95 degree days...but aging me prefers a cool breeze and nobody but me and mine around me. :)

Nice, work, good song, really enjoyed the listen.      

Personally I would keep all the instrumentation acoustic throughout and make the groove swing when the chorus comes in so as to lift and continue the groove you have going up to around 1:35 mark.   It kinds of breaks the beach vibe when the organ comes in and backing track goes to that straight 1/8 note drive.    A walking bass line, steel guitar, percussion and continuation of the Ukelele would sound terrific with that hook in the chorus. IMHO.    Anyway, solid performance and you should be proud of it.

Regards

I really like this one, lee. Don't be ashamed of this kind of vibe, they are feel-good tones and everybody needs them once in awhile. Your vocals are stellar, and the ukulele playing is really nice. Got to get me one of those, they seem to be little idea factories right? Really like chorus , nice payoff. I think you have something here and I can't wait to see what develops.

On 4/28/2023 at 12:58 PM, markno999 said:

Nice, work, good song, really enjoyed the listen.      

Personally I would keep all the instrumentation acoustic throughout and make the groove swing when the chorus comes in so as to lift and continue the groove you have going up to around 1:35 mark.   It kinds of breaks the beach vibe when the organ comes in and backing track goes to that straight 1/8 note drive.    A walking bass line, steel guitar, percussion and continuation of the Ukelele would sound terrific with that hook in the chorus. IMHO.    Anyway, solid performance and you should be proud of it.

Regards

So, it sort of organically grew into this thing where it evolved from the beachy thing to the pop thing. I might give your suggestion a go and try a couple versions. 

I kind of like how it builds and grows to something new. But, at the same time, hearing it keep the same feel would be a good A/B to see where it sounds best. Also, the bass and drums in here are generic placeholders (Still waiting on the drummer). But, do you think a full drum kit has a place in the lifted sections?

Really appreciate the input and making me think outside my little box :D

On 4/29/2023 at 4:40 PM, Kevin Walsh said:

I really like this one, lee. Don't be ashamed of this kind of vibe, they are feel-good tones and everybody needs them once in awhile. Your vocals are stellar, and the ukulele playing is really nice. Got to get me one of those, they seem to be little idea factories right? Really like chorus , nice payoff. I think you have something here and I can't wait to see what develops.

I highly recommend picking one up. They're so cheap and actually record quite well. And, yea, they are little idea factories. Basically, it turns everything on it's head and I'm finding myself with ideas that I then move to a guitar sometimes. It's pretty fun attacking music on a new instrument. And, since it's stringed, you basically get to hit the ground running. 

On 4/30/2023 at 5:38 PM, steve@baselines.com said:

Nice rhythm on that Uke - and the vocal is great.  Are you singing?  And the profile pic - that is awesome.

Steve

Yea, that's me yodeling. And, thanks on the pic. At the end of November (when I do that no shave thing) I like to leave the stache for a day or so. My girlfriend hates it...so it's a lot of fun.

1 hour ago, mightyleemoon said:

So, it sort of organically grew into this thing where it evolved from the beachy thing to the pop thing. I might give your suggestion a go and try a couple versions. 

I kind of like how it builds and grows to something new. But, at the same time, hearing it keep the same feel would be a good A/B to see where it sounds best. Also, the bass and drums in here are generic placeholders (Still waiting on the drummer). But, do you think a full drum kit has a place in the lifted sections?

Really appreciate the input and making me think outside my little box :D

If you want to keep in the beach style while also building into something new, you could consider a Reggae part in the lifted section,  same instrumentation, same vibe,  but more energy and a sing-along feel.    Drums can work, I would keep them brush kit/sidestick during the mellower part, either brush or full kit during the lifted section.    I would keep Brush Kit during the lifted section if you are also adding percussion.   You have a lot of options, even the organ would work with a underlying Reggae beat and bass during that section.

Regards