Cactus Music Cakewalk Tutorials ( now with subtitles)

John Vere

Update January 31 2024:

Good news for people whom English is not their native language. I figured out how to add sub titles to my tutorials even after they are published. It will take a while to complete them all but this works brilliantly as you can now read a very basic script and follow along in your chosen language. So far I did the 2 last ones I published. 

https://youtu.be/eQWPVc6azHc      and  https://youtu.be/AKsvOP87yGw

Update note Jan 2024:

All the basics for new users should be here including step by step on recording a song.

I will be redoing some of my old videos I took down due to errors and reposting those as well. 

I will also be slowly adding all the Transcripts for the narration on my web site for those who like reading. They can also be used to translate into other languages. 

https://sites.google.com/view/cactus-studios/cakewalk-tutorials

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL7YqVth30eGsURWrKGeu-fFyg3ETjF-Ox

Edited by John Vere
Added additional info
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 4

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Great video set John.  I'm very glad to see you decided to update and repost your original videos.  That is a lot of work.

While the tutorial section does not get many views I believe the tutorial section is one of the most important forum sections.  I'm confidant it is one of the first sections visited by users new to audio production and Cakewalk by BandLab.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, JohnnyV said:

It’s what Noel said the other day about learning from the mistakes made creating Cakewalk that spiked my interest in it. Sonar will just be a continuation of those mistakes. But Next will be a clean slate.  

I thought the same thing. However, the focus seems to be significantly different:

• Next focus: creation centric features (Easily turn your ideas into songs, offers easy to use yet powerful tools for creators of all stages)
  • Sonar focus: production centric features (The ultimate music production package for creative minds, continued commitment to serving core audio production needs and providing the best all-around audio solution for Windows).

Why keep wasting resources on a DAW that has a "complicated" code legacy while you've created an entirely new one with the legacy issues ironed out if it has not its own important place in the portfolio? 
If it is just to please Sonar and CbB DAW users, they might as well just provide the promised final update and leave it at that. You can keep using that one for years to come and if you want something better you just change to the Next (which you can keep next to your legacy DAW).

I've got the impression that most new DAWs are more focussed on EDM and use of loops and samples vs real playing and recording of VSTs and line/mic recorded instruments. My impression from the very limited info so far is that Next is more in line with the former. 

So I wonder for a composer/singer/songwriter that is focused on writing pieces for bands, creates orchestral pieces, etc. (someone who is not mainly cutting, pasting and manipulating loops and samples) which one of the two is most advised.  

@Noel Borthwick any suggestions?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • John Vere changed the title to Cactus Music Cakewalk Tutorial Series.
2 hours ago, John Vere said:

I started updating some of my oldest videos to make them easier to understand as well as as time goes by I learn better ways to do stuff. This is my latest batch. 

aka = Indated info. 😂

In another thread someone mentioned tutorials in other languages. I thought about adding subtitles to my videos but turned out you need to do this before you publish them. 

I came up with a work around. I will slowly post all the transcripts of my narration to my web site. I will then add links in the comments and people can translate these into other languages to follow along. I have the transcripts but I need to add the times to each paragraph so it's easier to follow along. This will take a while.  Got 3 done so far. 

https://sites.google.com/view/cactus-studios/cakewalk-tutorials

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Herky Acuff said:

Thank you again, @John Vere. I think we share being Canadians. I am in Northern BC where we are into the -30s celcius right now. Stay warm!

Hi. Sitting by the fireplace ( gas) right now. Don’t dare open the big curtains yet. Cat door frozen solid.  Daughters car won’t start. So to warm up I’m learning 6 Jimmy Buffett songs.
I’m way down on the border here in Grand Forks. Its -27C 

• Haha 2

• John Vere changed the title to Cactus Music Cakewalk Tutorials ( now with subtitles)

As I said in an edit to the OP I have now figured out how to add subtitles to the tutorials. These are the first two I did. I'm trying to keep language none technical so it will translate better so It won't always follow my audio narration. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, John Vere said:

I'm trying to keep language none technical so it will translate better so It won't always follow my audio narration. 

so, just like a number of 70's Kung Fu films (as well as any number of PBS translated TV series)... 😉