Moving Part Of An Audio File

Dean

I want to move part of one of the audio files.  How do I ask the question to get help with a tutorial?  I found out how to cut a section out of the track but can't get to a tutorial that says how to move just part of a track.

Thanks

I would love to read the relative information for a particular problem as I have done in the past.  In my case I don't know what to ask.

Hopefully there is a screen shot of what I want to do.  On the purple track at the left side I want to move the first two sections to the right  to line them up with the tracks above.  I hope that makes sense  

image_2023-04-16_125304242.png

25 minutes ago, Dean said:

I would love to read the relative information for a particular problem as I have done in the past.  In my case I don't know what to ask.

Hopefully there is a screen shot of what I want to do.  On the purple track at the left side I want to move the first two sections to the right  to line them up with the tracks above.  I hope that makes sense  

image_2023-04-16_125304242.png

Oh - Check the msmcleod post above. It shows two ways to accomplish that. Another way is to slip the purple clip and just move the splitted portion to the desired place. 

• Like 1

@msmcleod A while ago I came across the Shift+Alt method by mistake and posted about it... then completely forgot about it.

Occasionally when I split and move a clip, or edit it with Melodyne, it will revert to another part of the clip instead of the part I split, making it unusable. Now I'm wondering if it's just Shift+Alt-ing itself out of confusion. If so, I should be able to Shift+Alt it back into position. Another reason to always bounce-after-split. If it's happening after the bounce, then something else is going on.

22 minutes ago, sjoens said:

@msmcleod A while ago I came across the Shift+Alt method by mistake and posted about it... then completely forgot about it.

Occasionally when I split and move a clip, or edit it with Melodyne, it will revert to another part of the clip instead of the part I split, making it unusable. Now I'm wondering if it's just Shift+Alt-ing itself out of confusion. If so, I should be able to Shift+Alt it back into position. Another reason to always bounce-after-split. If it's happening after the bounce, then something else is going on.

One thing to note: 

Before you bounce, the split clip is a complete copy of the original - it's just trimmed at the start and end.  If you bounce however, you will lose everything that is hidden by the trim.

If you're lining up individual drums, this may be exactly what you want... but not always, so something to bear in mind.

Another thing to bear in mind:

When a region effect such as Melodyne is "active",  Melodyne has ownership of the clip until you render the region FX.  Rendering  or bouncing gives ownership back to Cakewalk.  As such, you should avoid editing any active region fx clips outside of Melodyne until you've rendered the region fx.

• Like 2

Yes, as I mentioned not so eloquently. Because if you don't bounce 1st, the split area may be able to shift on you while moving or editing. Otherwise I don't know what would cause a split clip to shift once the trimmed data is deleted (bounced) from the clip.

Once I got the habit of immediately bouncing split -and edited - clips, I haven't seen much of shifty.

Edited by sjoens

6 hours ago, 57Gregy said:

I would split the clip in 2 places, delete the split part and drag the clip to the right to line up.

So many ways.

I might select the area then hit Delete to create room, then drag/nudge the left one over, I might also just split it in one place, drag the edge of one of the resulting clips to make room and drag it over.

• Like 1

I do what Greg shows but only split once. Once you split a clip you can slip edit to remove the silence or cross fade.  
But I also do as @sjoenssaid and I often export the track as a stem at 48/32 no dithering and delete the messy track and drop the nice tidy one in its place. 
I used to do this for timing issues but I now use Melodyne for vocals and harmonies. Guitar still gets the zillion clip treatment if needed. 
 Of course there is a back up available if this goes wrong but I’ve done it a hundred times and it never does. 

• Like 1

On 4/17/2023 at 6:49 PM, Starship Krupa said:

So many ways.

I might select the area then hit Delete to create room, then drag/nudge the left one over, I might also just split it in one place, drag the edge of one of the resulting clips to make room and drag it over.

I always forget about selecting, I've been splitting since... a long time. But yeah, that saves a step.